Dealer Almost Voided My Warranty! - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus RS > Focus RS

Focus RS The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2016 Focus RS.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #41
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,136, Level 50
Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you take an RS to the ford dealer for an oil change, do they use 5/50 oil? How would you know?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #42
Focus Addict

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX5, '14 Dodge Dart Aero

Points 599, Level 11
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 13 sykozis Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
If you take an RS to the ford dealer for an oil change, do they use 5/50 oil? How would you know?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
If you take your vehicle to a Ford dealer, they will use whatever oil weight is recommended for the vehicle unless specifically instructed otherwise by the vehicle owner. The contract the dealership has with Ford requires them to use the correct weight and approved oil for every Ford vehicle unless specifically instructed otherwise by the vehicle owner. If the vehicle owner requests a different weight oil, the dealership should document it to cover their own asses.
Pokerrun388 likes this.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #43
Trump 2016

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Points 32,761, Level 100
Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100 Points: 32,761, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
X2 This. ^^^^^^^^^^
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #44
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 397961
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5

Points 12, Level 1
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 warpurlgis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheBBQMaster View Post
While you may have gotten lucky with those cheap oils, you really didn't save anything. Add up how much money you wasted on TONS of excessive oil changes not including the fuel economy you lost. Amsoil is way cheaper, if not free with the rebates at the pump.

100% of every person I have ever spoken to who has ever blown an engine WERE NOT using Amsoil. Amsoil has never had an oil-related failure in over 40 years. They warranty parts and labor in writing if their extended drains ever cause an engine failure.

Bulbs burning out and punctures tires are nothing compared to the cost of replacing an engine or transmission. Once you have those major failures on a car with 100,000 to 200,000 miles, it often costs more to replace the engine than what the vehicle is worth.

So while most people are changing their oil up to 33 times for every 100,000 miles of driving, I often get by changing my oil 5 to 7 times during that same time. Not that I am a big tree hugger by any means, but using oil excessively is wasting a natural resource. Even if you do your own oil change, you are wasting time driving to the store all of those extra times, changing the oil and then driving again to dump the oil. And while you get no real benefit of using those cheaper oils, I often enjoy an extra 1 to 3 MPG boost in fuel economy. Those fuel savings end up paying for the oil in the long run. My fuel savings exceed the cost of the oil, so that means the oil was free.

When you drive 1,000 miles per week and you get alarmed by what you're paying for fuel and maintenance, that's when you start getting creative trying to figure out how to save money. I've run the numbers over and over. Every time I have figured out spreadsheets and see what I was paying for oil, fuel, etc, Amsoil ALWAYS saved me the most money, even though it costs more per oil change. How can something else save you more if you have to change it more often? You don't buy tires that last 5,000 miles do you? Why would you buy oil that has to be changed more often? It's a HASSLE that I don't want or need.
Explain to me how you know other oils cause failures if your only experience has been with using Amsoil? How do you know the engine failures you speak are directly caused by the brand of oil used? I'm sure there are Amsoil failures you just aren't seeking them out because you are drinking the Kool-Aid.

We are talking about passenger vehicles, not supercars or heavy machinery. If you have close to 200k on the odometer, engine problems are probably not your only problem.

You can definitely go longer without changing the oil in newer vehicles. Oil breakdown isn't the only reason oil is changed and hence a reason I wouldn't put 25k on an oil change and would rather have to do it every 5-7k. You are driving 1k a week, you are likely going to have to change fluids more often. That's generally how it goes when you put miles on your car. What even has you driving 1k a week? The Amsoil shilling you are doing?

Your numbers are based on your use case and your small sample size of yourself. I'm betting most people aren't putting 1k on their dailies every week continuously.

How does Amsoil contribute to fuel economy compared to any other brand?The "green" line is bullshit. Take your used oil somewhere that recycles/repurposes it

I wasn't aware that if I used Amsoil that my brakes would never wear, rust would never form, and that Jesus actually will take my wheel if needed.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in