V6 5spd FWD engine swap - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26749
What I Drive: 2014 Dodge Charger

Points 3,119, Level 34
Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VonKaiser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm also highly interested in the 2.5l V6 Duratec swap. Do the mounts have to be fabricated? Things like the battery, reservoirs, and fuse boxes I plan to move to the hatch area. That should give some ample extra space. Have you done a RWD setup on any of your projects, if so what drive shaft did you end up using? If I decided to do the swap would you (v6Focus) answer any of my questions? Do you have anykind of "guide"?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32723
What I Drive: its better then yourz

FF Reputation: 1 hotdealz25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yo u guyz rock for being just that more different then everyone else and you have great points too!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #23
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,119, Level 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
After looking around for a bit on possible engine options I've come to the conclusion that the first gen SHO 3.0L (and subsequent 3.2L) is cheap to obtain and would be the most practical due to the cost of the donor car. You can get the car for ~$2000 in good condition. 220bhp 200tq are great baseline numbers from this engine (especially considering it's age). Thoughts?

Last edited by VonKaiser; 06-16-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #24
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
http://modifiedfocus.com/

v6 i am really considering taking you up on the v6 swap offer(and you end up with an spi) if i can come up with the $4500 there is a slim chance of me getting that amount. Else I will just have to go turbo
1960 Jeep Kaiser M109A3 6x6 Project SHTFCamper
M105A2 trailer With S-250 shelter
Old 06-17-2006, 06:02 AM   #25

Fan#: 2262
FF Reputation: 13 CDSilver5DoorSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
Quote:
Originally posted by JCE_05-ZX5
After looking around for a bit on possible engine options I've come to the conclusion that the first gen SHO 3.0L (and subsequent 3.2L) is cheap to obtain and would be the most practical due to the cost of the donor car. You can get the car for ~$2000 in good condition. 220bhp 200tq are great baseline numbers from this engine (especially considering it's age). Thoughts?
WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is absolutly no similarities between an early SHO(which is a Yamaha) and a late SHO(which is a small v8) and the focus........it would take a large amount of fabrication to make one of there work(listen to me when I say this we have did it), no matter if the drivetrain is cheaper, you will either have a TON of fabing or have to pay someone to fab it for you.........the SHO is not a practical swap, it is much heavier, the late models were not offered in a 5-speed, etc, etc

I'm also highly interested in the 2.5l V6 Duratec swap. Do the mounts have to be fabricated? Things like the battery, reservoirs, and fuse boxes I plan to move to the hatch area. That should give some ample extra space. Have you done a RWD setup on any of your projects, if so what drive shaft did you end up using? If I decided to do the swap would you (v6Focus) answer any of my questions? Do you have anykind of "guide"?

There is no guide and there will never be, it isn't a plug and play(which is the reason I think only a handful have people have done it)........yes, the mounts have to be fabbed, no way around it, no none of the engine bay has to be relocated........there are tons of pics of my car out there........when looking at it it looks stock..........
Old 06-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by arrestmespi
http://modifiedfocus.com/

v6 i am really considering taking you up on the v6 swap offer(and you end up with an spi) if i can come up with the $4500 there is a slim chance of me getting that amount. Else I will just have to go turbo
I'd take sell it to you, but I would put the SPI where it belongs(in the junk pile)........just kidding
Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #27
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,119, Level 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally posted by v6focus
WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is absolutly no similarities between an early SHO(which is a Yamaha) and a late SHO(which is a small v8) and the focus........it would take a large amount of fabrication to make one of there work(listen to me when I say this we have did it), no matter if the drivetrain is cheaper, you will either have a TON of fabing or have to pay someone to fab it for you.........the SHO is not a practical swap, it is much heavier, the late models were not offered in a 5-speed, etc, etc

There is no guide and there will never be, it isn't a plug and play(which is the reason I think only a handful have people have done it)........yes, the mounts have to be fabbed, no way around it, no none of the engine bay has to be relocated........there are tons of pics of my car out there........when looking at it it looks stock..........
I think you misunderstood me. The 3.0L and subsequent 3.2L were both the Yamaha V6's--I was not talking about the V8 in any form or fashion. I'm not an idiot, go here if you don't believe me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V6_engine#3.2. And my question about fabrication was meant in a different way than how you took it. This is my fault, let me clarify. Do *I* have to fabricate the mounts and brakets or I can BUY them from someone else that has already fabricated them. I'm not new to swaps I've done my fair share of them myself--just for foxbody Mustangs, MR2s and Nissans. And a guide would be helpful but not 100% needed...would just be nice to have someone who's done more than one of them have some notes he can give to the public.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #28

I can see you've done the homework about the 3.0 SHO engine, but my point was it is a totally different platform, no zetec parts will inter chage with it, the 2.5 at least has a mtx-75 so the axles from a focus will work(with a touch of fabbing), the info that you provideded says that it it shares the bell housing from a 3.0 vulacn(with is a sohc engine in the late model taurus), to make use of the similarities, you would have to use a 3.0 Duratec(a totally different beast from the vulcan).......on top of the difficulties with a 2,5 duratec, the 3.0 adds custom made axles, fully custom subframe, battery reloction, running 2 computers, alot extra weight, etc, etc etc.......that's why I said it's would pay to do the sho swap........there is no companies making anything for a Focus v6 swap and there never will be.......the mounts are the least of your worries, the main conern is the wiring.......there is noway to give any type of diagram or anything(it is over 30 hours of wiring between the engine bay and dash.......take what info is on our site, wiring diagram book for both the year focus you have(each year focus has different wiring, yet another reason for no schematic) and your doner vehicle, and lots of wiring skill and you'll have a v6..........

Last edited by CDSilver5DoorSVT; 06-17-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #29

Also, before us, there was absolutely NO INFO about a v6 swap........I think I have been generous on what I have published, and outside of exact detail how to wire it, a pretty darn detailed one at that.............
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #30
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 403659
What I Drive: 2003 focus

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 jschaeffer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSilver5DoorSVT View Post
I can see you've done the homework about the 3.0 SHO engine, but my point was it is a totally different platform, no zetec parts will inter chage with it, the 2.5 at least has a mtx-75 so the axles from a focus will work(with a touch of fabbing), the info that you provideded says that it it shares the bell housing from a 3.0 vulacn(with is a sohc engine in the late model taurus), to make use of the similarities, you would have to use a 3.0 Duratec(a totally different beast from the vulcan).......on top of the difficulties with a 2,5 duratec, the 3.0 adds custom made axles, fully custom subframe, battery reloction, running 2 computers, alot extra weight, etc, etc etc.......that's why I said it's would pay to do the sho swap........there is no companies making anything for a Focus v6 swap and there never will be.......the mounts are the least of your worries, the main conern is the wiring.......there is noway to give any type of diagram or anything(it is over 30 hours of wiring between the engine bay and dash.......take what info is on our site, wiring diagram book for both the year focus you have(each year focus has different wiring, yet another reason for no schematic) and your doner vehicle, and lots of wiring skill and you'll have a v6..........
why can't you just transfer the subframe with all the components still on it? The drive train and all...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in