Mk1 auto to manual swap - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30436
What I Drive: Jeep

Points 671, Level 13
Points: 671, Level: 13 Points: 671, Level: 13 Points: 671, Level: 13
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 quikstang2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mk1 auto to manual swap

I know, I know... just buy a manual and don't bother swapping. Well you find me a manual wagon I can afford and I'll buy it. You have 3 days. Go.

Also, I did search. Nothing useful came up.

Long story short: My brother is in the Navy and will be in town next week. I was looking for a project car for myself and decided to get back into a Focus. He can't drive manual well enough for me to risk my Jeep being mangled. Anyway, we both used to have a wagon, and wagons are awesome, so I'll be getting an automatic. I'm looking in the 2000-2004 range.

Now for the manual part: There is a manual 2000 ZX3 that's pretty beat locally and needs a ton of work I can't get done in the next couple days, but it's dirt cheap. Later this week I will have just enough time and storage space to pick it up, take the parts I need from it and dump the rest. I just don't have the space to keep the donor car long. It has to be gone in a matter of hours.

So I don't need the full swap details right away, just a full list of parts. I don't care if the dash needs to be pulled for wiring. I'll get it done.

I will take pictures, and potentially videos, of everything I can and document the swap if I can get a little help initially. I am very serious about this. I want it to be done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
8 DAY HOMECOMING

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 SPI Focus

Points 64,541, Level 100
Points: 64,541, Level: 100 Points: 64,541, Level: 100 Points: 64,541, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 30 SPIinDisguise Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I know for a fact you'll need the list below..also motor from donor car and your wagon has to be the same. SPI uses IB5 and the zetec is an mtx75.

Shift tower
Shifter cables
Manual trans
Crank position sensor from manual

Not sure what else without searching.

Sent from the top of a tree.
Sedan Revolution #289
FOCUS XTREME

Quote:
We don't charge by the word, tell us more.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 33,601, Level 100
Points: 33,601, Level: 100 Points: 33,601, Level: 100 Points: 33,601, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
As Jeff mentioned above^^^+ have you opened up the search range? + tac on thru '07...
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
8 DAY HOMECOMING

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 SPI Focus

Points 64,541, Level 100
Points: 64,541, Level: 100 Points: 64,541, Level: 100 Points: 64,541, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 30 SPIinDisguise Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
00-04 is mainly zetec. Duratec would be 03-07, but they have a different bell housing than the zetec does.

Sent from the top of a tree.
Sedan Revolution #289
FOCUS XTREME

Quote:
We don't charge by the word, tell us more.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30436
What I Drive: Jeep

Points 671, Level 13
Points: 671, Level: 13 Points: 671, Level: 13 Points: 671, Level: 13
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 quikstang2 Good Standing Member
I can answer this one real quick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
+ have you opened up the search range?
...with a quote of my own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
Also, I did search. Nothing useful came up.

Good point on the SPI vs Zetec. I didn't specify that I'm going the Zetec route. It's been a while since I've looked at all the details, but I vaguely remembered the SPI stuff wouldn't be useful to me. So those cars are being avoided.

If I remember correctly, my old wagon had a tachometer. I'll have to dig through old photos on my external harddrive. At any rate, I haven't looked into cluster swaps on these. With the Ranger/Explorer, your most likely going to lose your odometer with this swap. Also with those trucks, it was VERY common to have a manual truck with no factory tach, and an automatic with a factory tach. Odd, and supposedly came down to the manual trucks were for penny pinchers and they didn't want to pay for the tach option either, or so the factory thought. End result: I can drive a manual without a tach. I would probably install an aftermarket one if the wagon doesn't have one already.

I found a more extensive list elsewhere on the web, but all the pictures are gone, and the wiring diagram change links are all gone as well. I'll quote the stuff I was looking for, slimmed down quite a bit.

Quote:
Important note: Make sure all the parts are for the correct year transmission. For example: If you buy a 2001 focus MTX-75, make sure the shift cables, shifter, etc. you get/buy are for the 2000-2002.5 focus. Another item to note is that some MTX-75's use mechanical speed sensors and some use magnetic. One more thing, I never installed the clutch safety switch (prevents car from being started in gear) so this guide will not go through that.

1. MTX-75 Transmission
2. * Manual Focus Shift Selector
3. * Manual Focus Backup Sensor
4. * Manual Focus Speed Sensor
5. * Manual Focus Mount Tripod (on top of transmission)
6. * Manual Focus Transmission Bottom Mount Bracket (not the dogbone)
7. Manual Focus Crank Position Sensor
8. Manual Focus Backup Sensor Pig Tail
9. Manual Focus Speed Sensor Pig Tail
10. Manual Focus Axle Mount (on back of engine, near oil filter)
11. Manual Focus Shift Tower (in cabin)
12. MTX75 Fluid
13. Shifter (good time to get a short shifter)
14. Shift Cables (with year appropriate connections)
15. Shifter Boot
16. Clutch Pedal Assembly (why not upgrade to SVT pedals)
17. Manual Focus Flywheel Bolts
18. ** Clutch
19. ** Fly-Wheel
20. ** Throw out bearing / Salve Cylinder
21. *** Manual Focus axles (Passenger and Driver)
22. Clutch/Brake Reservoir and Lines (When getting these make sure you get the little c-clips that keep the lines from blowing out when pressure is applied)
23. Manual Focus Starter
*If getting a used transmission you probably will get this part.
** Your better off getting this new.
*** Not quite sure about this one. My automatic axles worked great for me

Steps:

Refer to the Haynes manual for steps requiring dismantling/installing). For example: Step 6. Remove the Center Console.
1. Get all the parts first!!!!
2. Clear Spot for the SWAP
3. Disconnect Battery and Remove (place on cardboard to prevent discharge)
4. Remove Transmission per the instruction in the Haynes Manual ( use Haynes Manual, it should have you remove the axles, starter, exhaust parts, etc.)
5. Remove the auto transmission cooler lines and cooler.
6. On the inside of the car remove the driver seat (makes things a lot easier)
7. Remove the Center Console.
8. Remove the blower box shield and the air directing box (below the stereo bezel, right above floor)
9. Remove shifter assembly
10. Under carpet where blower box was there is a two metal plates keeping the the lines from moving, remove this. Again, Refer to Haynes Manual.
11. From underneath the car remove the shifter cables, the grommet is under the heat shield which is above the flex pipe bend. Pull the heat shield down a little to gain access. If it give you resistance check to make sure nothing else is holding the cables inside the car.
12. Back inside the cabin, remove the Brake pedal assembly. You'll notice that Ford kindly left use a hole with a grommet that just so happens to be where the clutch pedal bolts up to.
13. Install the Manual Focus Brake/ Clutch Assembly. Remember to attach the brake connector.
14. Send the shifter cables through, this may be easier going from underneath the car. Tie up cables out of the way.
15. Install the shift tower and shifter
16. In the engine bay, remove the automatic brake reservoir (Be careful! Brake fluid will leak out. Have something to catch this and dispose of it properly) (Note: remember that you'll have to re-bleed you brakes, for safety)
17. Install the clutch/brake reservoir.
18. Remove the Axle mount (behind engine, below oil filter).
19. Install Manual Focus Axle mount.
20. Remove Torque Converter
21. Remove Auto Flex Plate (“an automatics flywheel”)
22. *not really a step, skip, I don't want to renumber now*
23. On the engine, where the bell housing mounts, remove the Crank Position Sensor.
24. Install the Manual Focus Crank Position Sensor.
25. Install Fly Wheel
26. Install Clutch
27. Install Slave Cylinder and Throwout Bearing on Manual transmission.
28. Install Manual Transmission. (use Haynes Manual, it should have you install the axles, starter, exhaust parts, etc.)
29. Make sure use the Manual Transmission Starter
30. Also Make sure the tripod is installed.
31. Hookup Clutch Lines. Should be one from Res to Pedal, Pedal to Slave Cylinder, Res to Brakes
32. Install Clutch Line c-clips, otherwise your lines will blow out every time.
33. Fill Reservoir and Bleed, use the Haynes manual for proper filling and bleeding procedures.
34. Install Shift Cables to transmission.
35. Wire transmission harness using the guide in the Tools Section of this Guide.
36. Install re-wired harness.
37. Drain tranny of old Fluid.
38. Fill MTX with new fluid per the instructions in the Haynes Manual.
39. In the cabin row through the gears and adjust the cables on the transmission as necessary. (Depress the clutch while doing this of course)
40. When satisfied, reinstall the center console, driver seat, and other interior pieces.
41. Button up the install check for loose connections and other misc items.
42. Reinstall battery and crank it up. Make sure it is neutral and foot on clutch. Before driving verify proper brake function and no leaks. You may also have to bleed the clutch a few more times.

Keep in mind that you will have the CEL and even the dreaded “!” on until you have a tune to turn the automatic functions off. Enjoy.
I don't see an ECU swap mentioned, but flashing the ECU instead. I'd probably grab the ECU. I'm sure that means dealing with an alarm module and keys. If I'm getting a whole car, I'd rather swap all this as well.

That's all for now. I'm off to go scope out a car now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in