2.3 to 2.5 Engine Swap - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #51
Lurking...

Fan#: 96605
What I Drive: 2007 A4 S-Line

Points 3,713, Level 38
Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 29 Tundrafoci Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickboy View Post
The only bolts I would replace are ones that are supposed to stretch as you tighten them (aka torque to yield). Otherwise I've always reused them as long as they look OK
Ya just wasn't sure if the cam bolt was TTY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Don't think any of the Ford engines use those washers on the cams. Seen them mentioned avail. from Cosworth and maybe used on some MZR engines. Optional where not originally used.
Awesome, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! I couldn't find any in the part diagrams either so I was just really confused.

Got the timing set today and spent alot of time cleaning the damn silicone off the timing cover/block but I still need to go get some plastic razor blades to finish cleaning the silicone off the engine block. Then she gets bolted back together.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #52
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,506, Level 100
Points: 34,506, Level: 100 Points: 34,506, Level: 100 Points: 34,506, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I thought about those washers & passed, if the oem doesn't use them & its not a Formula Atlantic motor.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #53
Lurking...

Points 3,713, Level 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Update Time!
Got the timing all set, front cover on and pulley torque (74ft-lbs + 90*) Now lets walk through this for anyone curious as to what to do.

Torque Values:
Cam Cap Bolts: 11ft-lb
Crank Pulley: 74ft-lb + 90*
Timing Tensioner: 89in-lb <------THIS IS INCH POUNDS NOT FOOT LBS
Front Cover:
8mm: 10ft-lb
13mm: 34ft-lb
Cam Gear: 53 ft-lb

Valve Tappet Gap:
Intake: .008-.011"
Exhaust: .010-.013"

Pre-step:
Throughout the entire time I had the cover off, the engine never left TDC. Keep it that way.

Step 1:
Place your intake cam into position and torque down the bolts in the order provided you should have made sure the caps went on the same direction and spot as they came off. Notice how mine are labeled.. Get both cams so the alignment bar fits in between them and then while holding the cam torque the cam gear into place. I did NOT use the diamond coated washers found on some MZR/duratec engines since there wasn't one there to begin with I'll assume that I don't need one. (I think I did this at the wrong time and it should be done right after the crank pulley bolt gets put on but I had no issues getting the timing right so up to you)

step 2:
Slip the chain around the cam gears and the crank gear. Then bolt/slip the chain guides into place. If you were like me, you removed the chain tensioner. Push it back the spring in while holding the teeth up. You'll know what I mean once you are there. I'm not sure removing the tensioner was required but I did it. Put the tensioner in and torque the bolts.

step 3:
Clean the mating surfaces of the timing cover and replace the timing cover front seal and block/head. Apply a thin 1/4" bead of sealant all the way around. You need to do this part quickly. Attach the front cover and torque the bolts in the order shown below. The 8mm and 13mm bolts have different torque values. I let this sit for 20-30 minutes before installing the crank pulley. You'll notice my bead is a little thin at the bottom but thats ok since I'll be pulling the pan off anyhow and that is where it is mated to.

step 4:
add a little oil to the edge of the front seal and then slip the crank pulley into position. You'll want to line up the bolt hole on the bottom and slip in a 6mm bolt (same size of the timing cover so you can use one of those once it dries if you don't have any).

Step 5:
Torque the crankshaft bolt to the engine. When I did this, I took out the timing bar in the cams after having it finger tight then I torque it with the crank pulley locator bolt and Timing Pin in so it wouldn't leave TDC while I did this. Seemed to work fine. Had to pull out the big breaker bar to get the final 90* turn on the bolt.

Step 6:
Now that your bolt is torque now is the time to check to make sure it is timed. Remove the crank TDC bolt and the 6mm bolt from the Crank pulley. Spin the engine clockwise a few revolutions to make sure nothing is hitting. Then while you are doing this measure the valve tappet gap when each lobe is pointing to the center like lobe 1 would be at TDC. You need to measure the intake side since the cam changed. Mine were go and I had not issues. I measured the exhaust side for peace of mind as well. To no surprise they were perfect. Now spin the crank one last time around and get it back to TDC. Insert the timing pin and turn the crank to rest against it. Now insert the cam timing bar and 6mm pulley locator bolt into the crank pulley. If you can't do this you F'd the timing and need to redo it. (need a new crank pulley bolt as well)

Step 7:
Attach the Crank Position Sensor, you definelty need a new one here as it comes with the alignment tool and the fusion part is not the same. If you bought you crank pulley new or even if its used there should (might if used) be a white mark that you'll use the CKPS alignment tool. The white mark goes in between the alignment tools teeth. Torque down the CKPS and remove the alignment tool.

That's as far as I got today. Everything back together basically with spark plugs in . Still need to pull the pan and do the BSD delete. I've fully decided on using the 2.3 valve cover, dipstick, and oil pan. Mostly because I ordered all the gaskets and stuff for them and got the parts cheap. I also still need a VCT delete since I couldn't get a hold of the blocker on the other side. Ordered today. Probably going to try and start the pulling of the old engine this weekend if time permits.

Thinking about just leaving the trans in the car while I do this. Any thoughts on that?
sailor, grimmolate and felixthecat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #54
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
I'm quite sure that it's not physically possible to pull the engine with the trans in place if you have a manual. Maybe barely possible with an automatic.

Just not room for the sideways shift needed to split the pieces, and once you unbolt the trans from the mount for more room you're dealing with a second loose major part to juggle.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #55
Lurking...

Points 3,713, Level 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Thats a damn shame. guess that just means a little bit of extra wrenching for me! Not a big deal tho thanks for the tip!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #56
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Yeah, judge for yourself - I've seen engines pulled by themselves but it seemed more difficult than pulling the unit.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 07-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #57
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,506, Level 100
Points: 34,506, Level: 100 Points: 34,506, Level: 100 Points: 34,506, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Out the top nope, drop out the bottom yea. Great write up & pix, Vince. See you used a plastic blade, so not to nic up the surfaces. Awesome job.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 08-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #58
Lurking...

Points 3,713, Level 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
So driving my car to my moms (she has a garage I can use) I found out that a squirrel had been chewing on one of my transmission wiring harness. He seemed to have found a leak in Completely removed the oil pressure sensor wire from it and disabled my speedo. Not even being kind enough to leave a pigtail for me to fix. Luckily not anything else that made the car undriveable. I am now on the hunt for the little punk

Other than that, The engine will be ready to drop today and hopefully will be out of the car before the sun sets. Got most of everything out of the engine bay w.r.t. wiring, intake and exhaust manifolds. Just gotta pull the alt, A/C, starter, and the powersteering. Fairly simple just ran out of light yesterday (i'm a 1 man team doing this for the first time so im fairly slow at everything ) I just cut the belt off when it was in place. That way I didn't have to remove the motor mount to get the belt.

Plan for the engine to be dropped out the bottom with the trans unbolted and sitting in the engine bay (I hope!). I'm not sure I understand why the engine can't be pulled from the top like this. but I'm not going to question the experience of those who have done it over just my initial look over. With how difficult it was to get the exhaust manifold out I think i'm just going to put the header on and cheat the 02. Eventually I'll have a highflow cat welded in the catback. I wanna see how loud it is first.

I also need to do my fuel pump will the car is undergoing the knife. Just scared to dremel a hole in my floor. But I'm also way to lazy to drop the tank so i just gotta suck it up here soon and cut the access panel.

Not many pics that are good to look at but here is how gross the engine looks with the valve cover off. Keep in mind I've done 3 oil changes in the last 10,000 miles (how long i've owned it) + i was burning oil at a stupid rate there at the end.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #59
Lurking...

Points 3,713, Level 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Well didn't get as far as I wanted. Old engine still sits in the bay. Basically the only thing left tho. Everything has been removed and only the bell housing bolts and engine mount remain to support it. Next day to get on it is saturday. got a couple of friends that are goin help up I need the muscle!

Here is some interesting information that I have found. The 2013 2.5 fusion engine is not compatible with the 2005 2.3 focus. The inlet is to large on the 2.5 engine that the o-ring would have gotten sucked up into the oil passage. The spacing on the bolts was also slightly off so that they would not thread in correctly. You can force it but it wouldn't have been right and probably stripped the bolts. So it looks like i'm going to end up using the 2.5 valve cover and oil pan. Will have to make a plug for the vct hole. I have an idea for that so not to worried.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #60
Lurking...

Points 3,713, Level 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Lack of updates but not lack of progress. 2 weekends ago I pulled the motor out. Had a couple of friends come and help me. Dropped right out of the bottom with some finagling. Trans still sits in the engine bay. Yesterday I put the new clutch on the motor. Went smoothly. Today gonna get the slave cylinder in and get ready for the engine reinstall which should happen on Saturday at the latest.

Old engine out:

Big hole in the engine bay:

I also weighed the new clutch vs the old DMF.
DMF/friction disk/pressure plate: 31lbs
Exedy OEM replacement Flywheel/friction disk/pressure plate: 28lbs

Granted that clutch has 134k miles on it but the disk looked to be near perfect still. It is also substaintially shorter than the OEM one so putting it back into the bell housing should be easier than taking it out (every inch counts there!)

Old Clutch:

New clutch Installed:

From my previous posts i found out that I had to use the 2.5 oil pickup tube which then requires me to run the 2.5 oilpan and the 2.5 valve cover. Now the 2.5 valve cover has a giant hole in it for the VCT solenoid and since I needed to delete the solenoid I needed to come up with a way to plug the hole. With some searching around, I found on the Escape forums where someone cut the old VCT solenoid and installed it on top of the VCT delete. Being a "free" option I thought I'd try it out.

Works great! Might try and find a rubber cap to make it look a little cleaner on the outside but for now this will work perfectly!

Now I think once the slave cylinder is done It will be time to put the engine back in. Saturday is the goal to have the engine in by and Sunday up and running. We shall see. Considering how this project has been going it'll probably be another 2 months

Last edited by Tundrafoci; 08-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in