Changing tire sizes? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86077
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

Points 175, Level 3
Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 gdcwatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If I had 17" rims, and another set of mounted snow tires, I would go with 225/45-17's on my Focus in a heartbeat, if I always travelled alone. Since I have 16" rims I will be putting super-light 225/50-16 Continental DWS-06 tires on the car this spring because I'm cheap/I live in Canada/we regularly drive on dirt or rough roads with people and stuff/some people prefer the Focus with Sport Suspension's more comfortable ride to the lowered and stiffened Acura TSX I used to have/I want to improve cornering capabilities/I want the car to accelerate faster.

My nose-heavy 06 Acura TSX came with 215/50-17 tires, on 7" rims and with a 3250 curb weight there was a lot of tire-scrubbing understeer, and only modest cornering grip. I changed the struts, to lower the car, and a thicker rsb, and changed to 225/45-17 tires on the same 7" rims. That combination worked very well, for me. I researched the issue, years ago, and can't recall every seeing a tire manufacturer's website that had a 7" rim in their recommended specs for a 235/45-17 tire; the same generation Acura TL had that tire size on a 7.5" rim, and if you ordered the TSX with the A-spec suspension the car came lowered with 225/45-17 tires on 7.5" rims.

Ford, however, is all over the board with Focus tire sizes. My 215/55-16 tires have a nominal diameter of 25.3", compared to many 215/50-17s at 25.5", compared to many 225/45-17's at 24.9" or 25.0". The most recommend by Ford snow tire size is 195/65-15, with a 25.0" OD, but also the 205/60-16 at 25.7" - the later being the same size as my 205/65-15 tires [less torque at the road works well in snow, and the shape of a 65-series tire means they ARE narrow at the road].

Can I notice a 1/4" increase in wheel gap? Maybe...yeah, but I remember the change in gearing that I could feel, in the Acura, from reducing the tire diameter by that nominal 1/2". Did the loss of that 1/4" in ride height make a difference on the roads I drove on? Yes, it did, but when the roads were bad I would drive more carefully, and when the roads were good I was flying!

Last edited by gdcwatt; 03-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in