DPS6 DCT Fix by FordTechMakuloco. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1turbofocus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 366418
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 1,159, Level 18
Points: 1,159, Level: 18 Points: 1,159, Level: 18 Points: 1,159, Level: 18
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 FullTimeCadet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DPS6 DCT Fix by FordTechMakuloco.

I know this has been a dead horse... but I wonder if anyone tried this by sanding paint that's connecting to the ground.

Kinda skeptical of trying. Also, the Tom tune route helps alot, but maybe part of the shudder is related to lack of current flowing?

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2018, 11:12 PM  
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 99,657, Level 100
Points: 99,657, Level: 100 Points: 99,657, Level: 100 Points: 99,657, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Told a few Customers to try this and didnt work on any of them , I took the tune out of one of my DCT to try it , sanded it good and put 2 ground jumpers from Batt to Trans , drove it 1 week shuddering like crazy , no help on mine anyway

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 AM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 232634
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Points 1,540, Level 22
Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22 Points: 1,540, Level: 22
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 kido098 Good Standing Member
Why would you ground the trans to the battery? The issue is in the ground for the battery supposedly. Run a nice ofc 0/1 or 4gauge ground from the negative terminal to the frame. There is one place near the battery with a solid amount of meat to bite into.
I have my 14 setup this way for the upgraded sound system. Did the big3 upgrade.
My shutter is still there but it's not bad at all for having 85k.
Also possibly ground the trans to frame may help haven't tried that personally.

The picture is from Google so don't mind the shit quality.

Not sure if this will help everyone but it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 06:02 PM  
FF Affiliate

Points 99,657, Level 100
Points: 99,657, Level: 100 Points: 99,657, Level: 100 Points: 99,657, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I tested extra grounds to the Trans because that where the TCM is and where the problem is

The Ground doesnt help

Tom
kido098 likes this.

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 313161
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus SE

Points 100, Level 1
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 MagicCrazyThing Good Standing Member
Whether or not this helps really depends on what type of shuddering you're getting, and if you're having a few specific alternate issues. The main purpose of this fix is to help with TCM issues (not going into gear, shift interlock randomly engaging/disenguaging, I think there was a couple low voltage codes as well)

The vast majority of our slipping is caused by a bad seal, no amount of electrical modification will fix that.

There is another form of shuddering these cars experience, though, it's caused by slightly incorrect readings from various sensors, and improper voltage to the clutch actuators. It usually won't set any codes either.....until the TCM dies.

It could have been dumb luck, but a month after having my TCM replaced I was still occasionally having issues with my focus not going into gear, and some other weird shifting issues. I would also have the regular shudders, but I had another weird shudder that would only happen if it was 100+f outside. It was more of a micro-shudder. My normal shudder feels more like a soft bucking whereas this one felt sharp, and was really fast, almost as if my car were being propelled by a tiny fast jackhammer.

I finally went out and cleaned that contact one day, and sanded the paint there. I haven't had the micro-shudder since. The weird bit where it would occasionally drop out of 6th stopped. It also quit doing the scary thing where occaisionally on upshift, it would not immediately engage the next gear. It would sometime drop almost down to idle speed, and then engage the next gear very suddenly.

I do still have the regular shudder. I never expected this to help that.

My car may also be an odd ball though. Your mileage will vary.

Last edited by MagicCrazyThing; 11-29-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 PM  
FF Affiliate

Points 99,657, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCrazyThing View Post
There is another form of shuddering these cars experience, though, it's caused by slightly incorrect readings from various sensors, and improper voltage to the clutch actuators. It usually won't set any codes either.....until the TCM dies.
This is totally incorrect information , it isnt caused from incorrect readings from various sensors or improper voltage

I would like to know what sensors you feel are getting " slightly incorrect readings " and what what is the improper voltage to the actuator , what should it be and what are you seeing ?

I have spent a LOT of time on the DCT owning many of them and I know where and what the issue is

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 100, Level 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
The "it's caused by slightly incorrect readings from various sensors" aren't my words to be fair. those are the words of the dealer tech who was probably talking down to me because I'm young.

A grounding, or voltage issue is going to cause a problem somewhere, though. It's also not uncommon for them to present themselves in a transmission.

It was just last week a guy I work with had to replace the battery in an early 2000's Acura. He had two problems, slow starting, and it wouldn't go into reverse. Everything else was fine. Replacing the battery solved both issues.

I'm not saying all shuddering is caused by electrical issues, that's not true. Some other issues are however.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM  
FF Affiliate

Points 99,657, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Your correct in that a electrical issue will cause problems I 100% agree but there has to be an electrical issues for it to cause a problem and thats not the case with the DCT

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 AM  
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 100, Level 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
In my case, there was. They believed the bad grounding was actually what caused the failure of my TCM.

I hope you don't believe that I was saying that all shuddering is an electrical problem. I thought that I had made it clear that it is a mechanical problem. I was just having issues that produced a similar sensation.

In the TSB, I don't remember if the specify shuddering as a symptom, but the shift interlock definitely is. The part about not wanting to go into gear may have been too, but I'm probably worng on that. That was probably the TCM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in