Dyno Testing tomorrow - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #51
#dailydriven

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 DCT Hatchback

Points 25,623, Level 96
Points: 25,623, Level: 96 Points: 25,623, Level: 96 Points: 25,623, Level: 96
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 19 Jburks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Are you wanting a good base line dyno or bragging rights so you can beat on your chest and tell everyone one how much you have , if you do then I can lean it out a little and the # will show higher

But why beat on your engine for that , it isnt worth it let the other guy do that it just doesnt make sense , you say yours runs good , pulls hard your happy , whats 2-4hp more going to really do other then abuse your engine ... and for what ?

Tom
No bragging rights lol. I just am done with power adders so I wanted to see what my car is making now. I don't want to lean it out or anything. Just want to know what's is making on a daily basis. Or roughly anyway, I know things change all the time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using FF Mobile

My Thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/382642-ruby-red-build-thread.html
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 340730
What I Drive: 2016 Magnetic Focus Hatchback Ti

Points 418, Level 8
Points: 418, Level: 8 Points: 418, Level: 8 Points: 418, Level: 8
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 ccap41 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
When I had my stock dyno run, back to back to back, the first pull was 4th gear, and it ran into the speed limiter. Second and third runs, we pulled in 3rd gear. Both runs gave slight, but definite improvements on the entire graph for 4th gear. Could have been from slight temperature changes, make whatever guess you want.

At any rate, the difference in numbers because of being one gear off 1:1 in most cars is not major, and in my case exactly opposite of the expected results. Don't let that 1:1 rule get into your head as an absolute necessity.

Those seem like pretty impressive stock numbers. If that's the case, it seems to be more like a 170hp motor with a 15% drivetrain loss = 145whp. or 185hp @15% loss = 157whp.

Last edited by ccap41; 05-18-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #53
3rd Time's the Charm

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White ST3

Points 9,008, Level 63
Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 6 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccap41 View Post
Those seem like pretty impressive stock numbers. If that's the case, it seems to be more like a 170hp motor with a 15% drivetrain loss = 145whp. or 185hp @15% loss = 157whp.
She runs nice, for sure. I need to take it back to the same dyno for an after tune/intake check, but I need to get Tom to check the tune and add the 180* thermostat fan changes, as well as raise the rev limiter a touch, and speed limiter.

The only "mod" for this graph was 93 octane gas, and MS3 exhaust that necks down to the stock manifold, so zero gain there except noise.
- Jody -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #54
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 299458
What I Drive: 2013 Gray Focus SE

Points 45, Level 1
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 danny491 Good Standing Member
I noticed that the larger throttle body saw no gains on the Dyno run. So is there any reason why I would still want to install this part? I know people are saying they feel improved throttle response. Does the Dyno no show this? I'm new to the tuning world so just trying to figure out what makes sense as far as upgrades go.

Sent from my Pixel using FF Mobile
Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #55
3rd Time's the Charm

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White ST3

Points 9,008, Level 63
Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63 Points: 9,008, Level: 63
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 6 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny491 View Post
I noticed that the larger throttle body saw no gains on the Dyno run. So is there any reason why I would still want to install this part? I know people are saying they feel improved throttle response. Does the Dyno no show this? I'm new to the tuning world so just trying to figure out what makes sense as far as upgrades go.

Throttle response and actual power are two different things.

Throttle response can be defined as how well the car reacts to partial throttle input, and this is logical, as the larger throttle body will have a larger volume of air passing through when at similar throttle positions as the smaller throttle body. No big discovery there. This can be mimicked by the smaller throttle body by simply accelerating the throttle opening on pedal input request. That's trickery to make a car's engine feel more powerful than it actually is that every foreign car I've ever driven using throttle by wire has used for a decade. Push the car 25% throttle and it takes off like it's really powerful, when it's actually opening the throttle 50% or better, and the last 75% input from the pedal feels like it does nothing. Seat of the pants trickery to fool the masses of people who think their Nissan Sentra is fast.

Actual max power difference only comes in to play at WOT, and would show if there is any bottlenecking in airflow at the throttlebody. From the dyno results, this can honestly be answered that the intake manifold design and throttle body itself are NOT airflow bottlenecks.

My bet for the NA engine's bottleneck is in exhaust flow characteristics, whether that be the stock manifold, which we know is terrible, or even back to head design, though Tom has said the intake and exhaust ports should support massive power. Maybe we're reaching limitations of the cam specs on a 2 liter motor that only revs to 7k before falling off. The whole limitation could be the entire system as it's designed and not just one key factor here and there as upgrades come.
FFhb13 likes this.
- Jody -
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #56
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 249249
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sedan, 2014 BMW X1

Points 807, Level 15
Points: 807, Level: 15 Points: 807, Level: 15 Points: 807, Level: 15
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 5 SedanRacer Good Standing Member
If you look at the head flow graphs from any of the duratec based motors you will see that the mk3 NA head is the highest flowing out of any of them so its the no the head that is choking power. I still feel that the intake manifold can be improved despite what happened with the ttr and cossie manifolds. Whether the headers we have are a bottle neck has yet to be seen. I know Tom, Mike, and Esslinger think so because they should be coming out with their own versions.
Jburks likes this.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #57
Torretto!

Fan#: 224858
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Bk FF Titanium HB DCT

Points 51,154, Level 100
Points: 51,154, Level: 100 Points: 51,154, Level: 100 Points: 51,154, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 11 FFhb13 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Tom, I know you saw the cosworth knockoff had the exact same loss on the mk3, despite having a much smaller and different shaped plenum and even slightly longer ports...why are you taking it off, because either design may actually work much better on a FI motor..the TTR seems to be designed to work great under boost pressures, instead of vacuum in a NA application.
SedanRacer likes this.
175whp/167trq (3rd gear) Steeda intake - MST Hose - CFM RMM - JBR PSM - TTR UMM - CNT 2.5" Exhaust - FS Werks MK2 header - SCT tuning by Tom - 63mm TB, TTR Intake manifold paperweight - 180deg tstat - Steeda RSB -
Old 05-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #58
#dailydriven

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 DCT Hatchback

Points 25,623, Level 96
Points: 25,623, Level: 96 Points: 25,623, Level: 96 Points: 25,623, Level: 96
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 19 Jburks Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanRacer View Post
If you look at the head flow graphs from any of the duratec based motors you will see that the mk3 NA head is the highest flowing out of any of them so its the no the head that is choking power. I still feel that the intake manifold can be improved despite what happened with the ttr and cossie manifolds. Whether the headers we have are a bottle neck has yet to be seen. I know Tom, Mike, and Esslinger think so because they should be coming out with their own versions.
Definitely interested to see if a well designed header can squeeze a few more hp out.

My Thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/382642-ruby-red-build-thread.html
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #59
Focus Addict

Fan#: 281177
What I Drive: 2015 Ford Focus SE SPORT

Points 1,609, Level 23
Points: 1,609, Level: 23 Points: 1,609, Level: 23 Points: 1,609, Level: 23
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Fabio0716 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
Definitely interested to see if a well designed header can squeeze a few more hp out.

For sure a better exhaust header would do wonders. So far we have Ebay and OBX headers and they both have made decent gains without much engineering. If a good company like Esslinger can engineer an exhaust header with their experience and equipment then I'm sure we are going to get some great gains.

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
Jburks likes this.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #60
Focus Addict

Fan#: 281177
What I Drive: 2015 Ford Focus SE SPORT

Points 1,609, Level 23
Points: 1,609, Level: 23 Points: 1,609, Level: 23 Points: 1,609, Level: 23
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Fabio0716 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny491 View Post

Danny BUY IT! lol. I'm not kidding nor am I exaggerating, the TB made my throttle lag completely dissappear. I no longer have to floor the pedal to fly through a crowded intersection. I have to regulate the pedal less which has miraculously done away with the random shifting of the DCT. No HP/TQ gains but improved drivability. :)

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
FFhb13 likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in