Which filter to use? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Indianb0y018
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 338074
What I Drive: Blue 2013 Ford Focus SE

Points 799, Level 14
Points: 799, Level: 14 Points: 799, Level: 14 Points: 799, Level: 14
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Indianb0y018 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Which filter to use?

Hey guys. My first post in this section so I hope I am correct. I was browsing around and found a thread regarding the negligence of K&N drop in filter. Living in texas around roads that are very dusty and poorly maintained, this thread got me thinking. My car was a gift to me, and I intend to max it out as far as possible until I can afford a manual ford focus st. With that being said, I have done a snorkel delete and wanted to install a drop in filter, but now I am having second thoughts. I would love to have a slight increase in noise and power but at the same time, I am nervous about how the environment will affect my engine over time with the dusty and dirty environment of texas. Not to mention the presidents epa cuts may also affect the vehicle in the near future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
K & N type is safe for the engine even when deeply coated with dust/dirt. It just filters better the more crap is on it.

Eventually enough can reduce flow for loss of power, then it needs cleaning.

Stock paper type is actually more likely to fail when coated enough to increase intake vacuum.

We can have other debates on the EPA cuts, but how would they adversely affect your engine?

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 799, Level 14
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
K & N type is safe for the engine even when deeply coated with dust/dirt. It just filters better the more crap is on it.

Eventually enough can reduce flow for loss of power, then it needs cleaning.

Stock paper type is actually more likely to fail when coated enough to increase intake vacuum.

We can have other debates on the EPA cuts, but how would they adversely affect your engine?
Thanks for the response sailor! Glad to have you on the forums with info! So I'll go with the k&n and keep tip top on cleaning it.

I would rather not get political since we are all here to enjoy the Ford focus and discuss the vehicle to each other.
But to clarify what I meant by the EPA cuts, I have a theory regarding it. With 30% of the budget bring slashed, and having a Congress and an executive branch being dominated by the Republicans, who block almost all climate legislation, it would not surprise me if the air/water quality deteriorates. With that being said, it would take a long time to actually notice the worsening quality. But for me, I live in a proxy zone between multiple construction zones. Right in the middle actually, so seeing dust, dirt, debris around is not uncommon. I actually had to scrap my previous air filter early based on this and the same goes for my cabin air filter. Now it may be a crazy to assume this, but it's always good to consider ALL factors to find the Outlook. In terms of adversely affecting the vehicle, that all depends on how bad the filter gets over time. I was reading a thread that listed theoretical dirt intake from certain air filters and k&n was not what I was expecting. ALTHOUGH, to be fair, the tests were really not that realistic. The real world environment would not throw that much dirt at the filters like the test. I'm sure you've actually read that thread at some point sailor.
sailor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 335897
What I Drive: 2016 White Platinum Focus Titanium

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 2 viper_crazy Good Standing Member
Others have recommended a dry flow filter, because the K&N is an oiled filter, some have been known to over oil the filter when they clean it (thinking more might be better) and the oil has been known to seep through the filter element and attach itself to the MAF and cause problems.

AEM, which is owned by K&N (or used to be if they aren't anymore), is a dry flow filter (no use of oil during the cleaning process). AEM filters can be cleaned with all-purpose cleaner of all things and rinsed off with water. Just make sure it is fairly air dried when you put it back in, although the filter wouldn't hold enough water to do any harm even if you didn't.

My recommendation: look into the cleaning process of each filter beforehand. K&N requires a special cleaning/oiling kit where as AEM only requires you to go by the biggest, cheapest bottle of all-purpose cleaner and requires no oil.

Last edited by viper_crazy; 03-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
^^^ good advice.

An aside from another field where a LOT of dirt is dealt with - cleaning too often (more than needed) can be the cause of damage to engines.

In construction/farm use where filters get loaded up fast with dirt, diesels can get 'dusted' (damaged/destroyed by dirt ingestion) when filters are replaced too often and without adequate care. A small amount of dirt is easily knocked into the intake each time a filter is removed, and if not noticed/fully cleaned out that goes straight to the engine.

Got 'educated' on that at a Kubota service seminar, they had enough issues with warranty claims that it was highly emphasized.

For our cars, the closest I've actually seen mentioned was a fly plastered on a MAF element - obviously got in while the filter was out for maint..

P.S. - I see your point now on possible MORE dust in your situation. Had an issue at a cycle shop years ago with intermittent PVC powder spewed from a neighboring factory, got NO appreciable help from local/state environmental authorities since it wasn't hazardous and didn't travel far.
viper_crazy likes this.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 03-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 799, Level 14
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
just looked at the AEM filter site. Filters are also less expensive and that's looking good too. But if compared, do you guys think oiled filters are better or dry ones? I'm assuming oiled because they filter out more dirt and dust.

But something I think should not be done is not putting the airbox cover on. Since others have done it and seem to be reporting good results from removing the airbox cover, I wanted to do the same. However, since I'm in a dirty environment, I am not sure that's a good idea..
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 799, Level 14
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The other issue, is where I live, there are no state taxes. So roads and infrastructure are neglected. Literally all the construction going on is building neighborhoods and houses. And new roads. Rather than fixing the old roads that current residents and new residents use, they build new ones that nobody uses. Somehow all that debris remains and makes it less way to where I live. Frequent visits by clean up crews are often but what's in the air is hard to clean up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in