Trunk latch on 2014 hatchback - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 329449
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE White

Points 121, Level 2
Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2 Points: 121, Level: 2
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 sphornet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trunk latch on 2014 hatchback

2014 Focus Hatchback. The back hatch door does not completely unlatch. This happens with the key fob, interior release button, or with the touch sensor on the hatch itself. I have to push the touch sensor while pushing on the hatch door. Seems like a latch issue but I wanted to check here first. I did search this forum and was unable to find anything. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I dread trying to get into the back of the car knowing the latch is sticking or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Focus Hoarder

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 03 Jag - 06 SAP - 02 SVT - 02 ZXW

Points 8,150, Level 60
Points: 8,150, Level: 60 Points: 8,150, Level: 60 Points: 8,150, Level: 60
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
FF Reputation: 63 ArcticMynx Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
its the grease ford uses.. its notorious for turning into a pile of sticky sh^t...

I rebuild latches and every latch i work on the grease they use and proclaim to only use by slapping ugly USE ONLY THIS GREASE stickers all over the car is the culprit..

take a screwdriver and scrap some of the grease out its more of a sticky paste then a sticky lubricant and age, drying and cold cause it to turn even harder which makes the inner flip latches not want to fully engage and also cause the motor actuator to stick..

i swear ford recommends it because its designed to foul and make the owners have to buy new latches at $140-$200 a piece..

Ford has recalled several lines of the focus's because the rarely used rear doors would semi latch and suddenly pop open when driving.. alot of doors when the latches are fouled take several slams or a good slam and pushing the door long enough for the latch to engage because of the gunk grease
2006 Focus ZX4 SAP - Daily Driver (Psychotic Black)
2007 Focus ZTW Wagon - Project (Dark Shadow Grey)
2003 Jaguar X-Type - Project (Money Pit)
2002 SVT Focus - Project (#2760 of 4788)
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 246657
What I Drive: 2015 white Focus se

Points 8,078, Level 60
Points: 8,078, Level: 60 Points: 8,078, Level: 60 Points: 8,078, Level: 60
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SlowhiteJr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm pretty sure there was a recall for this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Focus Hoarder

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 03 Jag - 06 SAP - 02 SVT - 02 ZXW

Points 8,150, Level 60
Points: 8,150, Level: 60 Points: 8,150, Level: 60 Points: 8,150, Level: 60
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
FF Reputation: 63 ArcticMynx Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
For the past two years Ford has dealt with a number of issues related to not being able to keep the doors of its vehicles shut, from an investigation by federal regulators to the recall of millions of cars. Today, those issues continue, albeit in a different manner, as the carmaker recalled 74,000 hatchbacks with hatches that can open while the car is moving.

Ford announced Wednesday the compliance recall of 73,915 model year 2013 to 2017 Focus hatchback vehicles equipped with manual transmissions after finding the hatch can open too easily.

According to the carmaker, the rear hatchback can be unlocked and unlatched with a single press of the interior latch release — located on the left side of the steering column — when the vehicle is traveling under four miles per hour.

Federal vehicle safety standards require that two separate actions be used to unlock doors and operate the internal latch release control mechanism.

Ford says it is unaware of any crashes or injuries related to the issue. Dealers will reprogram the control module at no cost to owners.

Wednesday’s recall comes just weeks after Ford announced it would recall 1.5 million vehicles that have doors that just won’t stay shut. That recall came as an addition to the previous recall of 456,000 vehicles in Sept. 2014.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration closed a year-long investigation into those vehicles in Dec. 2015 after determining that a recall by Ford to replace all four door latches on affected models fixed the problem.

Ford has refused my wagon for recall even tho you can point blank see the 2 rear doors not stay shut.. ill just wait till i turn another corner and hit something or someone and maybe ford will f&*$ing listen.. i had to have my wagon towed to Ford with a zip strap holding my rear doors closed.. they came back 4 hours later with a $580 quote to repair the doors.. ill just wait till one of my passengers falls out, some of my work equipment falls out or i hurt someone then i have full rights to say ford knew about it and did NOTHING when they have active recalls on the car... the reason i got.. its because the car is 10+ years old
2006 Focus ZX4 SAP - Daily Driver (Psychotic Black)
2007 Focus ZTW Wagon - Project (Dark Shadow Grey)
2003 Jaguar X-Type - Project (Money Pit)
2002 SVT Focus - Project (#2760 of 4788)

Last edited by ArcticMynx; 03-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in