Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/duratec-ti-vct-performance-2012-current/)
-   -   I screwed up. Need help. Airbox resonator delete (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/duratec-ti-vct-performance-2012-current/593393-i-screwed-up-need-help-airbox-resonator-delete.html)

AmericanCaveman 08-03-2015 07:31 PM

I screwed up. Need help. Airbox resonator delete

Hi gang.

My ingenious self filled the airbox resonator with Great Stuff. My idea was to gain a little more intake noise and reduce airbox turbulence. Chalupa Jones asked me if I used a high heat foam. I checked the can (after the fact, of course) and it says not to use around anything higher than 240 degrees. Unsure of exactly how warm the engine bay can get, I removed my now Great Stuff filled airbox resonator.

My problem: Now at 3,100 RPM I get a hugely loud and headache inducing drone.

What I need: Is a solution. I'm unsure of exactly what I can use in the engine bay because of the heat. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to remove the Great Stuff from the airbox resonator and re-install that.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance for any help.

CFHGARZA 08-03-2015 11:08 PM

33 Attachment(s)
ebay has them for $20 used or you could find one at the junk yard.

Toaster-Six 08-04-2015 12:34 AM

Ahaha I literally removed the bottom resonator myself this weekend. My drone appears at 2000 but it's tolerable.

I liked the drone initially, but I ended up plugging it up with duct tape. Though I'm going to see if I can find something like this that will fit in the hole instead

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...463756&alt=web

AmericanCaveman 08-04-2015 06:47 AM

Toaster, I don't know how you find that drone tolerable. Mine hits me at 3,100 and under load it's absolutely horrible.

I think I have it fixed for now but I still want to buy a replacement airbox resonator. I appreciate the tip CFHGARZA but I'm E-bay stupid. Would anybody happen to have a part number for Ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.

morrjr 08-04-2015 07:53 AM

The resonator should be sold separately - when I replaced my air box (screw threads stripped out by previous owner) it came from the dealer as a unit (bottom, lid, and filter) without the resonator.

TboneZX3 08-04-2015 08:25 AM

Plug the hole until you can pull a used one at the junk yard.

ChalupaJones 08-04-2015 09:49 AM

I've got my resonator still with my airbox.

TboneZX3 08-04-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americancaveman (Post 8803425)
would anybody happen to have a part number for ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.

bv6z-9b659-a

There's one as low as $22 on ebay.

Ti/12 08-04-2015 10:44 AM

Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat. I wanted to reduce summertime heat soak in the box from stop and go driving around town. It does slow down the air box heat soak and I think it makes the snorkel deleted and resonator deleted air box quieter.

FYI - I have an AEM Dryflow filter in it and the Ford Racing cold air snorkel attached to the front.

AmericanCaveman 08-04-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti/12 (Post 8804073)
Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat.

If you leave that hole open, it is VERY loud. It sounds amazing though. I absolutely loved the sound. However, under load at 3,100 RPM it was unbearable. Living in hilly WVA the car is under load all of the time.

BTW, where do you get this tape you're talking about?

To everyone else, thanks for the help. I have it fixed in the mean time and I have a buddy ordering me that airbox resonator from Ebay for a permanent fix. I plan on buying the whole intake assembly off of our buddy Chalupa Jones. Then I can have some fun with the airbox lid and a dremmel. I already desperately miss the sound of having that hole in the bottom of the airbox. The car sounded amazing.

I have to keep reminding myself though.. this is the wifey's car.