I screwed up. Need help. Airbox resonator delete - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #51
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118015
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Ti Hatch 5M

Points 181, Level 3
Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 sketch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanCaveman View Post
By the way, I know everyone talks about how it will suck in hot air, and I'm sure it does.. but honestly according to my butt dyno (which can be a big fat liar sometimes) I noticed no decrease in performance, off the line or not.
FWIW, I have an open-ended filter with a plug (K&N). The engine does seem to lose some power in the summer with the cap off, but our summers are a lot more brutal down here ;) I imagine you won't have as much a problem in the hills of West Virginia, but I just push the cap in when average highs get above 85 or so.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #52
Torretto!

Fan#: 224858
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Bk FF Titanium HB DCT

Points 47,657, Level 100
Points: 47,657, Level: 100 Points: 47,657, Level: 100 Points: 47,657, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 FFhb13 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster-Six View Post
Ahaha, there was a video that came out last week of someone with a brand new civic and the hood wasn't latched closed while filming.
They had to get a new windshield
Back in my carshow days....a buddy i was with at hot import nights, he went to his car
to move it to the other side of the stadium....took off hot and we hear a bang!!! See his hood flying in the air....landed between two cars....windshield shattered....some piece of.shit removed his hood pins....he had a carbon fibre hood laid on a metal frame, but obviously not
as safe as an oem.hood. He got locking hood.pins pretty quick.after that.
175whp/167trq (3rd gear) Steeda intake - MST Hose - CFM RMM - JBR PSM - TTR UMM - CNT 2.5" Exhaust - FS Werks MK2 header - SCT tuning by Tom - 63mm TB, TTR Intake manifold paperweight - 180deg tstat - Steeda RSB -
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #53
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 110818
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

Points 16,112, Level 81
Points: 16,112, Level: 81 Points: 16,112, Level: 81 Points: 16,112, Level: 81
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 ChalupaJones Good Standing Member
That would suck pretty hard...
SR#308, Chalupa Crew#1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #54
Focus Addict

Fan#: 224738
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Hatch 201A Flex-Fuel

Points 1,721, Level 24
Points: 1,721, Level: 24 Points: 1,721, Level: 24 Points: 1,721, Level: 24
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Truth in Ruin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFhb13 View Post
Back in my carshow days....a buddy i was with at hot import nights, he went to his car
to move it to the other side of the stadium....took off hot and we hear a bang!!! See his hood flying in the air....landed between two cars....windshield shattered....some piece of.shit removed his hood pins....he had a carbon fibre hood laid on a metal frame, but obviously not
as safe as an oem.hood. He got locking hood.pins pretty quick.after that.
What is it with people stealing hood pins? I mean seriously... Someone stole hood pins off my 71 Vega too. Is it a gear head crack addict thing? I swear it's an equivalent to meth addicts stealing copper piping.
Snorkel Delete / AEM Drop-in / MagnaFlow (#15072) Cat-Back / FSWERKS Rear Motor Mount Insert / Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #55
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2015 Magnetic Titanium Hatchback

Points 2,501, Level 30
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth in Ruin View Post
What is it with people stealing hood pins? I mean seriously... Someone stole hood pins off my 71 Vega too. Is it a gear head crack addict thing? I swear it's an equivalent to meth addicts stealing copper piping.
People will steal anything not locked...and that only keeps lazy thieves away.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #56
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 344993
What I Drive: 2017 MM SEL Hatchback

Points 277, Level 5
Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 maslo Good Standing Member
I know it's not socially acceptable to revive old threads, but can somebody help me understand what the air box resonator is? I understand the purpose is to reduce noise, but is there any other function? I'm looking at the part (BV6Z-9B659-A) right now - is it literally just a closed, empty chamber that's sealed off at the air box or is there another opening for airflow? Because that's what it looks like, but that seems too unnecessary to believe.

I'm asking because I noticed the foam seal at tube that connects to the bottom of the air box has deteriorated quite a bit on my car, so now the seal is less than perfect. I'm wondering if I should replace the part or just plug the hole, but I want to understand how the airflow would be affected. I don't care about sound.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #57
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 248321
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,131, Level 27
Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 4 stayboogy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanCaveman View Post
Hi gang.

My ingenious self filled the airbox resonator with Great Stuff. My idea was to gain a little more intake noise and reduce airbox turbulence. Chalupa Jones asked me if I used a high heat foam. I checked the can (after the fact, of course) and it says not to use around anything higher than 240 degrees. Unsure of exactly how warm the engine bay can get, I removed my now Great Stuff filled airbox resonator.

My problem: Now at 3,100 RPM I get a hugely loud and headache inducing drone.

What I need: Is a solution. I'm unsure of exactly what I can use in the engine bay because of the heat. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to remove the Great Stuff from the airbox resonator and re-install that.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance for any help.

I used gorilla tape to cover the hole where the resonator attached to the air box on the bottom. I did it real nice like and a couple of layers. It never melted or caused any issues.

I ran with it like this for at least a year or more, until I put the RS Airbox on which has no resonator or hole in the bottom.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 AM   #58
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,034, Level 63
Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Intake air resonation can be easily affected by a simple closed end box as it changes the resonating frequency of the intake stream. There are sonic waves there just like in an exhaust muffler and they if getting timed right greatly increase noise if the setup is messed with. You have air going into engine but some of it backs out to come back out the intake at certain rpm when the lengths and displacement of the intake tract line up wrong to do it. They often correct by adding airbox volume (empty dead-end box to make you go ????, it is a wave strength absorber) to alter the resonation frequency of the tract and it stops much noise. As well, the resonation control method can add a decent chunk of very low rpm torque as the resonation at lower speeds can mess with the injection in intake ports to create backflow that affects off idle performance.
maslo likes this.

Last edited by amc49; 02-26-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #59
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 344993
What I Drive: 2017 MM SEL Hatchback

Points 277, Level 5
Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 maslo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Intake air resonation can be easily affected by a simple closed end box as it changes the resonating frequency of the intake stream. There are sonic waves there just like in an exhaust muffler and they if getting timed right greatly increase noise if the setup is messed with. You have air going into engine but some of it backs out to come back out the intake at certain rpm when the lengths and displacement of the intake tract line up wrong to do it. They often correct by adding airbox volume (empty dead-end box to make you go ????, it is a wave strength absorber) to alter the resonation frequency of the tract and it stops much noise. As well, the resonation control method can add a decent chunk of very low rpm torque as the resonation at lower speeds can mess with the injection in intake ports to create backflow that affects off idle performance.
Thank you for the beautiful explanation. I don't doubt you, but wouldn't the PCM on these newer cars correct the timing and intake to the adjusted airflow? It's hard to quantify but it seems a lot of people enjoy these variations to the stock induction system (e.g. open lid, open air filter, snorkel delete, intake resonator delete), albeit they might not understand how they're affecting the system. Or is it a matter of trade-off / personal preference...
Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #60
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,034, Level 63
Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
There are a million ways to drop pieces of induction by virtue of modification and many are beneficial, just no way to know which ones until done. The PCM DOES make up for timing and mixture but there is no way it can predict wave timing changes/effects as there is no method of reading them on the fly. It takes a laboratory to do that.

You can adjust for airflow in and of itself but pretty hard to for some of its' effects. How do you measure air that has been through the MAF once then backflowed back through it to go back through it forward a second time? It measured 3X doing that, give it some thought. That flips the PCM out. What resonation does. Waves timed correctly can make big power (2 stroke expansion chamber, up to 25% power increase) but not timed correctly just mess things up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in