Engine Cover install - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #71
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 288137
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE Hatchback

Points 45, Level 1
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 L'il Silver Slocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslo View Post
Just thought I should leave my experience. Probably good information for 2015+ owners. Sorry it's kinda long for what it is, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

I drive a 2017 SEL. I installed the engine cover last Friday. Looks great, definitely cleans up the engine bay. However, the fitment is just a little bit off. This is just my best guess, but the brake fluid reservoir sticks out a little bit more on the newer models or the engine is placed slightly further back in the engine bay. This results in the engine cover pushing up ever-so-slightly on the brake fluid reservoir (I'm talking approx. <5mm), EVEN THOUGH the reservoir is shaped with grooves on the underside which I'm guessing is exactly for this purpose (check out the pics below). Anyway, when the engine is running there is significant vibration on the cover. And because the cover is pushing up on the reservoir, the vibration is translated heavily to the brake pedal, thus inside the cabin. Very much driveable, but it's quite unpleasant. I tested this out by having my little brother push down on the cover a smidge with the engine running, and the vibration disappeared immediately. I've tightened down the studs as much as humanly possible and I'm pretty sure the engine cover is not deformed or defective in any way. I believe it's a tolerance issue by the geniuses at Ford engineering/manufacturing.

Now, the obvious solution would be to make a small cutout on the corner edge of the cover. I don't really know how to go about this, and I don't a whole lot of tools handy. Any bright ideas?
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have a 2013 SE, and I was getting "low brake fluid" messages every once in a while. Turns out I had a leaking resevoir that was replaced under warranty. However, they put in the new design which had a different shape than the older one and made my brake pedal vibrate like crazy. Took a dealership tech on a test drive to figure out what was wrong, and it turned out the resevoir was rubbing against my engine cover, much like in your picture. I asked them if they could trim the cover and it took them less than five mins. If you don't have the tools or ability to trim the cover yourself, I'd suggest going to a dealership and asking if they can do it. Show them how much you want trimmed, and it should take them hardly any time at all.
20FocusDriver16 and maslo like this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #72
Focus Addict

Fan#: 318873
What I Drive: 17' Magnetic ST1 + Premium Wheel Pk

Points 8,597, Level 62
Points: 8,597, Level: 62 Points: 8,597, Level: 62 Points: 8,597, Level: 62
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 3 20FocusDriver16 Good Standing Member
ill have to check mine....

Build Thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/810455-20focusdriver16s-build-thread.html#post11360825
Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #73
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 344993
What I Drive: 2017 MM SEL Hatchback

Points 277, Level 5
Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 maslo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'il Silver Slocus View Post
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have a 2013 SE, and I was getting "low brake fluid" messages every once in a while. Turns out I had a leaking resevoir that was replaced under warranty. However, they put in the new design which had a different shape than the older one and made my brake pedal vibrate like crazy. Took a dealership tech on a test drive to figure out what was wrong, and it turned out the resevoir was rubbing against my engine cover, much like in your picture. I asked them if they could trim the cover and it took them less than five mins. If you don't have the tools or ability to trim the cover yourself, I'd suggest going to a dealership and asking if they can do it. Show them how much you want trimmed, and it should take them hardly any time at all.
So glad you replied. Thanks dude, I'll hit up the dealership tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #74
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 347458
What I Drive: 2018 Silver Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 13,188, Level 74
Points: 13,188, Level: 74 Points: 13,188, Level: 74 Points: 13,188, Level: 74
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Colossus Good Standing Member
Lightbulb I'll be Checking mine...

Here is what I had done to mine, just need a few other things to finish it off.

Name:  IMG_8868.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8869.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8870.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8871.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8872.jpg
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #75
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 347458
What I Drive: 2018 Silver Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 13,188, Level 74
Points: 13,188, Level: 74 Points: 13,188, Level: 74 Points: 13,188, Level: 74
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Colossus Good Standing Member
Exclamation

Thank you rjhansen

I checked mine after work and Looking at the pics it's hard to see but the Brake reservoir is not only touching but actually resting on the back of the cover. It had already started to take paint off the engine cover! That was from only 1 day of driving.

I took it back to the shop and let them know what I found. They are going to fix it. It's not there fault, It's not my fault but, it's Ford's fault for making the change to the Brake Reservoir.

Please Check your Engine Cover and Brake Reservoir if you have I would say a 2015 thru 2018 Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in