SCT Custom Tuning for the MKIII 5M / DCT - Page 19 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree426Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #181
Thread Killer

Fan#: 8331
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 14,853, Level 79
Points: 14,853, Level: 79 Points: 14,853, Level: 79 Points: 14,853, Level: 79
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 Trav-E2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escrotumus View Post
Uhh what about install? I don't know anyone who can do it and I can't do it so install expense must be considered as well. I've been around long enough to know it will run about $2k with parts, install and tune. I guess I answered my own question in that it won't likely be worth the expense for such minimal gains.
When you look at install, yes...you will be in the $2k range and that is a little ridiculous for the gains you will get. But, honestly the Ford Focus has to be one of the easiest cars to work on as far as bolt ons go. I learned with this site and friends on how to work on this car and have saved thousands in doing so with the all the past vehicles I have had. The exhaust (with the right tools) is about an hour install and intake is about the same. The exhaust I got has instructions to do the job.

Sent from meh fone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #182
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 10,643, Level 68
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 38 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Uhh what about install? I don't know anyone who can do it and I can't do it so install expense must be considered as well. I've been around long enough to know it will run about $2k with parts, install and tune. I guess I answered my own question in that it won't likely be worth the expense for such minimal gains.
Apparently, you haven't been around as long as you think you have if you think a tune, exhaust, and an intake will run you $2000. You're cray-cray.

A reputable shop shouldn't charge you anything more than $200-$250-ish. And you could do a custom exhaust and save the another $200 off the exhaust, or find a used setup in the BST.

The FSWerks intake is NOT the best bang for your buck. Do some research and you'll see that a K & N drop in coupled with a snorkel delete is the best bang for your buck and it'll cost you $45-ish.

If you're spending $2000 on those three mods - you're doing it wrong.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #183
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113572
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 935, Level 16
Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 tallted Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intake and tune are really easy installs. Like easier than building ikea furniture. The exhaust will be a bit more challenging, but get some friends together and some beers and make a day out of it and you will get it finished. Way cheaper to buy some tools, beer and burgers for the grill. Besides that is what cars are really about. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #184
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,573, Level 43
Points: 4,573, Level: 43 Points: 4,573, Level: 43 Points: 4,573, Level: 43
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Apparently, you haven't been around as long as you think you have if you think a tune, exhaust, and an intake will run you $2000. You're cray-cray.

A reputable shop shouldn't charge you anything more than $200-$250-ish. And you could do a custom exhaust and save the another $200 off the exhaust, or find a used setup in the BST.

The FSWerks intake is NOT the best bang for your buck. Do some research and you'll see that a K & N drop in coupled with a snorkel delete is the best bang for your buck and it'll cost you $45-ish.

If you're spending $2000 on those three mods - you're doing it wrong.
The most expensive mix of parts for IET is only about $1500 with magnaflow, steeda and Tom's tune.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust

Last edited by darkangelism; 10-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #185
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 55,418, Level 100
Points: 55,418, Level: 100 Points: 55,418, Level: 100 Points: 55,418, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 54 dyn085 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Guys I did read these threads and couldn't find anything related to what I asked. I'm not sure why you all keep saying read page 1. I don't see anything on page 1 with regard to NA mods or whether or not this stuff is specific to the ST or not. I apologize if I am wrong but honestly I don't see any information which is why I'm asking. I respectfully request that if you don't have anything informative to add to my questions then don't waste your time or mine by referring me to a page where you claim the holy grail to all my answers exists when I have already been there and don't see it. Thanks!

So I guess these little cars are not really all that mod friendly because you'd have to spend a mint to get as little as 30hp and that would be even if the parts exist which apparently they don't? How much power could I reasonably expect to get for spending $2k on CAI, exhaust (which aint cheap), SCT and custom tune? 10hp? 20 maybe? Not really worth the expense I suppose if that's the case. Thank you Tom. Your reputation for helping the new and inexperienced here is well deserved! :)
A- You're posting in a thread that specifically states Mk3 5MT in the Ti-VCT section. The title and section alone answer your initial question.

B- As stated, both intake and tune don't (shouldn't) require an install cost. If you go with a custom 2.5" exhaust you're looking at $500 professionally installed, roughly, and will get the most for your money in both sound (FSWerks drones pretty badly) and performance (all the rest are 2.25" systems). At least one car has gotten 30HP+ on that exact combination, and many of us are running similar setups and just haven't done a dyno.

Previous generations Focus owners would kill for the increases we're getting with bolt-ons because of how mod-friendly our cars are. You're talking about a 4-cylinder NA motor, not a turbocharged or big-displacement motor. 30HP for <$1500 is excellent. If you actually want to spend $2k, then add a header and 3" exhaust and you're easily over 30 HP.

Plenty of parts exist to make the power you want for the price you're wanting to spend. Take some time to read other threads and you'll see.
2014 FiST-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #186
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 99,644, Level 100
Points: 99,644, Level: 100 Points: 99,644, Level: 100 Points: 99,644, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
You need to start with a tune , K&N drop in filter and then see whats out to do next , these are both mods you can do your self
If that isnt enough of a HP gain ( It never is LOL ) start looking what else is out there and keep going

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #187
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
Sorry for the late reply on this...was busy with work and such

Really, really, REALLY love my choice with this tune! The base tune that Tom gives you is great over stock, but the custom tune that he does is beyond what I expected it to be over the base tune. Tom really makes everything just click!

After I emailed Tom my data log, 3-4 hours later he sends me back my custom tune. Like before, I plugged it all in and followed the on screen prompts. Once everything was set, I was off and running. The main thing I noticed was throttle response. In the base tune, I felt that the throttle response was good, but had room to improve. After the custom tune, it felt like it was back to throttle cable. You push the gas and it goes! Next thing was the butt dyno powa! Through all the gears, I can feel a pull that just puts a smile on my face. The first gear runs wants to (on certain roads) break loose the tires. From first to second, tires give an awesome bark. As far as drivability goes, it feels just as solid as the base tune. The base tune gave me a safe, reliable feel that got rid of all the things that bugged me about this car. The rough idle, lag through gears, etc. were gone. They are still gone and I have more power that I can actually feel.

All in all, still VERY pleased with my purchase! Money very well spent!

Another great review, from a 5sp. Can't wait to get mine. My mouth is watering from seeing multiple reviews saying shift lag is gone (the lag through gears... which I'm hoping is when you step on the clutch the revs drop really slow).
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #188
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119341
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Black Tuxedo Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 sleekfocus Good Standing Member
Just recieved my SCT today and just shot the email to Tom with my info. Can't wait to get started with the base tune and see what adjustments can be made.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #189
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118280
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012: White Hatchback

Points 526, Level 10
Points: 526, Level: 10 Points: 526, Level: 10 Points: 526, Level: 10
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 shengsri Good Standing Member
Same here just got mine today, cant wait to get the base tune!!

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #190
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

Points 1,599, Level 22
Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
a little off topic but then you may also want to factor in cost of aftermarket sound system and audio visual...which could go up to 3grand for a great system? I know ive spent 1500$ on just the sub amp an wiring + installation alone... Lowering the car cost me 700$ and to get all of the above mentioned...
cai 400 + shipping
injected tune 400 + shipping
exhaust $800 fitted
and thats all i'd do to mine really and thats what...at least another 3grand...
Also if i add in the speakers i want to change an install thats 260$ ontop . If were arguing about price and if its worth it or not, for an econmical fun car the extra 5 grand is worth it imo... because the tune also imrpvoes fuel efficiency...which means you could be potentially driving a car that burns say... 5-6 litres per kilometer...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in