'13 Focus Radio Upgrade - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
Focus Rookie
 
Lord Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Fan#: 401210
Location: Calvert County, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 15
Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'13 Focus Radio Upgrade

Howdy All,

I'm looking to replace my factory radio with an aftermarket setup. My original stereo started making static noises, even when the car was off. So, out it comes.

I'm looking at getting a navigation receiver with SiriusXM and a back up camera from crutchfield.

The only issue that I foresee right now. Is I don't know where I can find a reverse signal wire for the back up camera. Any place I should start looking? My Focus has a 5-Speed manual if that makes a difference.

Any receiver suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Lord Snax


Lord Snax is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast
 
SupraGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Fan#: 410021
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Posts: 83
Points 193, Level 3
Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 77%
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Most of those kits come with a wire on the backup camera harness which is intended to be connected to the positive wire at the rear lamp fixture., so that it gets +12V when the reverse lights are on. It's effective enough. Get the kit, and the instructions will probably give you more than enough information.

Otherwise, there aren't too many electrical connections to a manual transmission. You will have the reverse switch, possibly a neutral switch, and possibly an output speed sensor. I believe that there is no neutral switch on these, and that start interlock uses a clutch pedal switch instead.

Static noises when the radio is off can often be a symptom of a speaker wire shorted to ground. Almost all car stereos use bridge-tied load mode for speaker output, so neither side of the connection should be grounded, and doing so can cause effects in ALL of the speakers, not just the one with the wiring fault. if the problem is intermittent, this can be a lot of trouble to diagnose and track down, but this should be your first step, before you put in another radio and have it repeat the same problem, or worse, damage the new unit.
SupraGuy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Focus Rookie
 
Lord Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Fan#: 401210
Location: Calvert County, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 15
Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGuy View Post
Most of those kits come with a wire on the backup camera harness which is intended to be connected to the positive wire at the rear lamp fixture., so that it gets +12V when the reverse lights are on. It's effective enough. Get the kit, and the instructions will probably give you more than enough information.

Otherwise, there aren't too many electrical connections to a manual transmission. You will have the reverse switch, possibly a neutral switch, and possibly an output speed sensor. I believe that there is no neutral switch on these, and that start interlock uses a clutch pedal switch instead.

Static noises when the radio is off can often be a symptom of a speaker wire shorted to ground. Almost all car stereos use bridge-tied load mode for speaker output, so neither side of the connection should be grounded, and doing so can cause effects in ALL of the speakers, not just the one with the wiring fault. if the problem is intermittent, this can be a lot of trouble to diagnose and track down, but this should be your first step, before you put in another radio and have it repeat the same problem, or worse, damage the new unit.
Thanks for the info.

I already diagnosed the static noise to be the old stereo. I purchased a used factory radio off of eBay and the static noise went away, but I had no volume control or hands free calling. However, the issue with the radio cutting out and not coming back until a key cycle is still present. Which is what I’m getting tired of.

And to my knowledge. The manual transmissions on Focuses that have keyless start are the only ones that have a neutral sensor as they have an auto restart option if you stall out the engine.
Lord Snax is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Focus Rookie
 
Lord Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Fan#: 401210
Location: Calvert County, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 15
Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@SupraGuy,

Just thinking. I have a bunch of speaker wire laying around. I’ll just re-wire all the speakers. The tweeters on the doors are just wired in overlay, correct? (If I named it right) Meaning they just tap off of the speaker at the bottom of the door.
Lord Snax is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast
 
SupraGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Fan#: 410021
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Posts: 83
Points 193, Level 3
Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 77%
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't know for sure, since I have little experience with the Focus specifically. Mine is also the 10 speaker version, and I haven't even popped a speaker grille yet, though that might be in the cards, the sound isn't nearly as clear as I'd like. (I've seen a few references to it getting better with the centre speaker disconnected, I might try that....)

With the 10 speaker system, I understand that there's a DSP and amplifier in the back of the car, and it was my impression from the aftermarket DSP kit from Crutchfield that the tweeters are wired separately right from the amplifier. I haven't looked at all at the 6 speaker setup, and assume that the 4 speaker setup doesn't have separate tweeters.

I have seen that there are some nice install kits now available.
SupraGuy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast
 
SupraGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Fan#: 410021
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Posts: 83
Points 193, Level 3
Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 77%
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Something was tickling at the back of my head... Have you seen this thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...-2012-sel.html

Sounds like this may be a problem that others have had. I haven't read far enough to see what the problem actually is, though.
SupraGuy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Focus Rookie
 
Lord Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Fan#: 401210
Location: Calvert County, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 15
Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGuy View Post
I don't know for sure, since I have little experience with the Focus specifically. Mine is also the 10 speaker version, and I haven't even popped a speaker grille yet, though that might be in the cards, the sound isn't nearly as clear as I'd like. (I've seen a few references to it getting better with the centre speaker disconnected, I might try that....)

With the 10 speaker system, I understand that there's a DSP and amplifier in the back of the car, and it was my impression from the aftermarket DSP kit from Crutchfield that the tweeters are wired separately right from the amplifier. I haven't looked at all at the 6 speaker setup, and assume that the 4 speaker setup doesn't have separate tweeters.

I have seen that there are some nice install kits now available.
I have the 6 speaker setup. 2 tweeters upfront and 4 speakers, one on each door.
Lord Snax is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Focus Rookie
 
Lord Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Fan#: 401210
Location: Calvert County, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 15
Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGuy View Post
Something was tickling at the back of my head... Have you seen this thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...-2012-sel.html

Sounds like this may be a problem that others have had. I haven't read far enough to see what the problem actually is, though.
I have read that thread once already. Its the same issue I am having with my factory radio. So I'm installing an aftermarket radio to avoid running into similar problems with replacement factory radios.
Lord Snax is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ST springs are direct fit for SE(2014+) FocusSmocus MK3 Focus 3 03-21-2016 07:10 PM
Ford Reveals All-New Focus Sedan, Retains World's Best-Selling Nameplate Title for 2013 FFTeam General Car Chat Lounge 11 04-10-2014 07:15 PM
Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric FFTeam MK3 Focus Electric 117 05-14-2013 11:05 PM
New Limited Edition Ford Focus RS500 - The Ultimate Performance Ford Tom General Car Chat Lounge 134 08-25-2010 02:52 PM
2008 Focus TimHickey General Car Chat Lounge 5 01-11-2007 12:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.




 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1