Stereo issues -LOUD popping, crackling, white noise ---HELP!!! - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 415523
Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 1 eilif Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Sorry eilif, but I don't have much of an answer for you.

First, you can pull the head unit from the dash and unplug it. The hazards and such should remain working.

Second, a scrap yard or eBay is your cheapest solution. Obviously buying a new factory head unit isn't cheap. And installing an aftermarket head unit requires some pricey parts (~$225 in parts).
Thanks for your guidance .

Is the head unit the grey box with two big plugs, one small plug and a CD slot?

I just pulled it out and have it in front of me. It's a DT1T-19C107-AF. Looks like there's lots of similar units on ebay for around 100.

Now that it's out, I won't get any more cackling right?

Are there no aftermarket units that use the stock screen and button interface? I have what I think is the stock 4 speaker with 4.2 LCD screen.

On the plus side, the ease with which I was able to pull this, has me thinking that if necessary I can probably tackle replacing everything with aftermarket.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #82
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48824
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE Hatchback

Points 22,009, Level 92
Points: 22,009, Level: 92 Points: 22,009, Level: 92 Points: 22,009, Level: 92
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 12 firebirdude Great Standing Member
Yep. That piece contains the CD player, FM tuner, etc. But most importantly, it contains the amplifier that sends power to the speakers. If you just unplug it, it won't work obviously, but should keep everything else on the circuit operational.

No. Anything aftermarket will have its own buttons/display. You could get a real simple one for 60 bucks. But the parts to make it fit into the hole in the dash, and the harness to allow you to connect it to the factory plug aren't cheap. All said and done, the bare minimum you could probably spend to get something aftermarket up and running properly is right around $275 with a cheapo Pioneer or something. Closer to $500 for something nice.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #83
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Thanks for that. I appreciate the education.

On a whim I called a Ford dealer and they have a unit for $350, which I assume is a refurb, but I don't know. For that price I'd rather go aftermarket.

I looked on Crutchfield and I can get a SONY WX-920BT and all the install parts for under $300 and retain my steering wheel controls. Any reason not to go that way? This is our only car and while we don't need high-end audio, I do want something reliable with CD port.

Any other suggestions for a radio choice?

I'm going to ride around for a day or so without the radio to make sure no other sounds happen and unless there are red flags, probably go with the above.

Does that seem wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #84
Focus Addict

Points 22,009, Level 92
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilif View Post
Thanks for that. I appreciate the education.

On a whim I called a Ford dealer and they have a unit for $350, which I assume is a refurb, but I don't know. For that price I'd rather go aftermarket.

I looked on Crutchfield and I can get a SONY WX-920BT and all the install parts for under $300 and retain my steering wheel controls. Any reason not to go that way? This is our only car and while we don't need high-end audio, I do want something reliable with CD port.

Any other suggestions for a radio choice?

I'm going to ride around for a day or so without the radio to make sure no other sounds happen and unless there are red flags, probably go with the above.

Does that seem wise?
That would work. But I'd call them and ask which dash kit they're going to send you. The Metra one kinda sucks.

If you think you'll ever want to add a rear-view camera, you should opt for a screen now. Pioneer AVH-211EX.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #85
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
That would work. But I'd call them and ask which dash kit they're going to send you. The Metra one kinda sucks.

If you think you'll ever want to add a rear-view camera, you should opt for a screen now. Pioneer AVH-211EX.

Is there a better option than the Metra? That's the only one I could find on their site.

I already have Rear View camera and it looks like the Metra face retains that at the top above the radio.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #86
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Alternatively is there a generic mounting kit that can I can buy and then just cut the opening myself? I have some experience cutting and modifying plastic and It'd be nice to save 80 bucks.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #87
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Just a quick update.
Bought the whole kit and caboodle from Crutchfield. For anyone looking at this as an option, here's what they sold me for a 2015 Transit Connect wagon that already had a back-up camera

Sony WX-920BT
$118.00

Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
$11.69

Metra 99-5831 Dash Kit
Painted Black
$77.96

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
$46.74

Metra ISOPK Screw Pack
$1.55

Axxess XSVI-5524-NAV Wiring Interface

$38.97

Subtotal
$294.91
Shipping
FREE
Sales Tax
$18.44
Total
$313.35

Could possibly have saved a couple bucks buying some of the parts on amazon, but the pricing was pretty competitive.

I skipped the usual crimp connectors and bought a pack of 50 WAGO lever nut wire connectors at Menards for around 12 bucks. Dang these things are easy to use. You still have to strip your own wire, but connection/unconnection/reconnection is flawless!

So far the instructions Crutchfield emailed me are moderately useful mostly, though I just compared the wire lists from the radio and from the wiring kit and matched them up.

So far...
1) Radio is hooked up and dash facia installed. Looks pretty good.
https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...1&d=1567693868
Black Facia looks good, and seems to match the color of the HVAC control panel below but the rubberized surface plastic is already a fingerprint magnet. It's called painted black, so I assume they spray on some kind of rubber paint?

Also, the mounts that hold the radio are plastic. I don't know if this is the norm, but I was hoping for metal. Still it all seems to fit well.

2)Radio works and looks nice. Sounds better than stock but I assume it's performance is still being held back by the stock speakers.

The LCD screen is kind of hard to read though. I assume this is partially because of the screen itself but and perhaps mostly because in the Transit connect, the radio is angled somewhat upward rather than perpendicular to the ground as in most cars.

3)Have not finished installing and activating steering wheel controls. I will be downloading those instructions today and expect it to be the most annoying part of the process.

4)In an odd bit of un-functionality, the stock backup camera screen doesn't work when the plug going to the airbag indicator is attached. At this point I'm just leaving that unplugged as it doesn't affect my daily functionality.

So that's where I'm at now. Will update as things progress. So far, I'm fairly pleased with everything. I'm in about $325 at this point. If I skipped the steering wheel kit, I could have easily kept this at $280.
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo issues -LOUD popping, crackling, white noise ---HELP!!!-img_20190905_074006972.jpg  

Last edited by eilif; Yesterday at 09:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #88
Focus Addict

Points 22,009, Level 92
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Nice man. And that's the first time I've seen that version of the Metra kit. Though the Focus kit is DARN similar, the Transit one looks much better IMO.

It's normal for the radio mounts to be plastic. I know.

The LCD screen on the Sony? Most of them have adjustable brightness. Make sure the brightness is up. Also, does the brightness change automatically when you turn the headlights on/off? Maybe the orange illumination wire on the Sony was connected incorrectly and now it thinks the headlights are on all the time (so the screen is auto-dimmed)? Just a thought.

Real odd issue with the back up cam. I've got no help for you on that. But Crutchfield is known for their customer service and install guidance. It's what made Crutchfield who they are today. So I wouldn't hesitate calling them up and asking about it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in