Brake pedal has long travel and hissing sound - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 402410
Points 112, Level 2
Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 3 Lowsidedriver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake pedal has long travel and hissing sound

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS without ABS. So this started out by hearing a sound from the Pass Front tire. I removed the tire and found the clip on the caliper was broken. I removed what was left, Im assuming these are just for anti-rattle, and decided to bleed the brakes as this car was previously owned and I had not done that yet. Like Ive done all life, I sucked out almost all the fluid from the reservoir, no air got in. I then started bleeding from the RR tire and worked around to the FR tire. No air coming through and clean fluid. I reassembled the car and drove it. The pedal was very spongy and traveled almost to the floor with reduced stopping power. The car would stop but it was much less power than I would expect. Also as I push the pedal I hear a hissing sound, almost like air, but I only hear during pedal travel. With the engine off, I could pump the brakes and build pressure. When I crank the engine the pedal would suck down. I assume this means the Booster is good? Bled the front brakes again, but noticed no air in the lines. Reassembled with same results.

After some research I thought it may be the MC. I ordered one and installed it. I was going to bench bleed but there was a paper inside the box that said not to and that it could damage it. I installed the MC and hooked up the reservoir, and added fluid. I slightly opened each line and gravity fed. I then had my son push the pedal in while I loosened each line at the MC and continued bleeding.

After several times, bleeding each line, there is good fluid with no air but my pedal still travels to the floor and I cant build pressure like before.

Should I bleed at the wheels now or do I have other issues? Also, with this MC, should the plastic "reservoir" attached to the MC be full of fluid or will there be air in there? If its supposed to be full of fluid, how do you get the air out?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
Bleed farthest from the master cylinder. Right Rear. Left Rear. Right front. Left front. Don't let the level in the master cylinder get low. You have a bunch of air in the system. I'm not a big fan of pumping the brake pedal. Pedal up. Open valve. Push to floor. Close valve. Attach hose to bleeder and put down into a jar with some brake fluid in the bottom so end of hose is submerged. This keeps air from returning into the line and you can see when the air bubbles stop coming out. Be patient. You may have to go around several times before the air is eliminated.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 26%
My neighbor has a pneumatic bleeder. I borrowed that and bled the lines at the wheels. I did follow the standard furthest from reservoir to the closest. Reassembled and drove with same symptoms. At this point, I have bled almost a quart and half through the lines. Is is possible I could still have air in the system?

The car will stop but it is not a fast stop and the pedal travels further than what I feel is normal. I even drove the car over a dirt patch and tried to skid to a stop. The tires tried to skid but did not manage to actually skid.

Could it be the booster going bad? I ruled that out since the pedal is not hard to push and it also passes the test where you pump the brakes until pedal is stiff with the engine off, and then crank the engine and the pedal travels forward around an inch. Seems like it operates normal.

I am out of ideas. We bought the car used and its never stopped great. I think they put super cheap brake pads on it before they sold it. I might go ahead and replace them as well but even with crap pads, I feel like the car should stop better than it is and that also doesn't explain the pedal travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Points 918, Level 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Your first post said you sucked almost all the fluid out of the reservoir before you started bleeding. If you installed a master cylinder without bench bleeding (I dont care whether the paper said to not do it) and then proceeded to only use a pneumatic bleeder of course there will still be air. You need to old school bleed. The other possibility is a failing rear wheel cylinder allowing air to be pulled into the system. You absolutely cannot allow the fluid level to drop below the low line while bleeding . Last resort is to pull the master cylinder and bench bleed. That being said, I have gotten a bad new master cylinder before. Brake booster has nothing to do with bleeding the brakes or getting a firm pedal.

Last edited by pbfoot; 06-09-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 26%
"Your first post said you sucked almost all the fluid out of the reservoir before you started bleeding."

I left out a part to this. I sucked out the old fluid and replaced with new in the reservoir.

"If you installed a master cylinder without bench bleeding (I dont care whether the paper said to not do it) and then proceeded to only use a pneumatic bleeder of course there will still be air. You need to old school bleed."

I think I essentially accomplished a bench bleed by installing the MC and then cracking the lines at the MC and having my son pump the pedal until fluid ran out. I bled it this way three or four times. I then bled the brake lines with the pneumatic bleeder.

"The other possibility is a failing rear wheel cylinder allowing air to be pulled into the system. You absolutely cannot allow the fluid level to drop below the low line while bleeding . Last resort is to pull the master cylinder and bench bleed. That being said, I have gotten a bad new master cylinder before. Brake booster has nothing to do with bleeding the brakes or getting a firm pedal."

Just as a question, will the plastic "reservoir" on top of the master fill entirely with fluid or will it still have air? This MC is different than every other one in existence it seems and I cant find a bled procedure for a MC that has a detached reservoir and then the additional reservoir on top.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Points 918, Level 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Just as a question, will the plastic "reservoir" on top of the master fill entirely with fluid or will it still have air? This MC is different than every other one in existence it seems and I cant find a bled procedure for a MC that has a detached reservoir and then the additional reservoir on top.[/QUOTE] Picture please.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Points 918, Level 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Just as a question, will the plastic "reservoir" on top of the master fill entirely with fluid or will it still have air? This MC is different than every other one in existence it seems and I cant find a bled procedure for a MC that has a detached reservoir and then the additional reservoir on top.
Picture please.[/QUOTE] Pictures please.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 26%
Im talking about the plastic piece on the attached photo. The reservoir has a hose that attaches to this piece. It will fill up with fluid but there is still air in the top. Every other MC I see a bleeding procedure for, the reservoir is attached directly on top of the MC and not this in between "reservoir"
Attached Thumbnails
Brake pedal has long travel and hissing sound-focus-mc.jpg  

Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Points 918, Level 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsidedriver View Post
Im talking about the plastic piece on the attached photo. The reservoir has a hose that attaches to this piece. It will fill up with fluid but there is still air in the top. Every other MC I see a bleeding procedure for, the reservoir is attached directly on top of the MC and not this in between "reservoir"
I'm not familiar with the detached reservoir.Do you have a picture of your engine compartment? Is your car a manual or an automatic?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 26%
I couldnt find a good picture with the reservoir and the MC in the same picture. So the reservoir is mounted against the firewall and a hose runs down to the plastic nipple of the MC (picture in previous post) The MC is located beneath the Fuse Box in the picture.

This car is automatic, so that rules out the clutch having any affect.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake pedal has long travel and hissing sound-brake-res-1.jpg  

Attached Images

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in