Caliper piston compresion tool - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120373
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST3 Tuxedo Black

Points 4,073, Level 40
Points: 4,073, Level: 40 Points: 4,073, Level: 40 Points: 4,073, Level: 40
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 okaythen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Caliper piston compresion tool

Used a bigger piston compressor for the front brake, maybe 1/2 inch bigger, the rubber things got a little distorted and out of place, is it ok? didn't damage anything right https://i.imgur.com/63wNAtY.jpg

5,10 min after that I depressed brake pedal, and the rubber thing looks normal after the piston is out.

Got this tool set, couldn't find the proper size for the FoST front brakes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After brake pads are installed, press brake pedal a few times, Do I need to turn on the car? or with it off? any difference? thanks for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,478, Level 100
Points: 34,478, Level: 100 Points: 34,478, Level: 100 Points: 34,478, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Looks good to me....Good idea to flush the brake fluid also.
okaythen likes this.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 4,073, Level 40
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks, yeah I did the other side and when I compressed it the rubber boot looked the same.

Yup gonna change out brake fluid and engine oil too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 4,073, Level 40
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks, yeah I did the other side and when I compressed it the rubber boot looked the same. I guess that's just how the rubber boot look like, I thought it will be nice and even and thought I damaged something heh. (Not a very good DIY'er)

Hawk HP+ the inboard pad was really hard to put it in the piston, the 3 spring things were really tight so I used piston compressor to push it in, did I damage anything? maybe a circular mark on the brake pad and no big deal?

So when I was trying to bleed the brake fluid, I checked rear right brake bleeder valve and when I took off the nipple it had brake fluid in it. It's not supposed to have brake fluid in it right? And can't be the same fluid from almost a year ago when I bled it? the other 3 nipples were dry. Also the bottom end of the inboard brake pad is about 4.5mm left while other sides all got 6mm left. valve is leaking?!?!? Getting ready for a HPDE need to get it fixed! Either it's not tighten enough or I might have damaged it the last time I bled it, it was at a weird angle to tighten/loosen the valve.

However I didn't see any drip near the bleeder valve, fluid was inside the nipple didn't seem to have any around it. Last time I bled it was a year ago and for a year the brakes seems ok on the weekends (only drive it on the weekends and not that often) And with the car off I depressed the brake pedal 4,5 times and didn't see any brake fluid out of the valve.

Oh so if it's not tighten enough just tighten it, but if it's broken how do I test it and make it leak? turn on the car and depress the brake pedal see if it leaks?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
Thats What She Said

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 MB ZX3, 2004 SY SVT ZX5

Points 20,992, Level 91
Points: 20,992, Level: 91 Points: 20,992, Level: 91 Points: 20,992, Level: 91
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 24 Magus2727 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How does the fluid level look? I you are bleeding the system (which if doing HPDE you should do with a good fluid) I would look at changing your bleed screws over to Russell speed bleeders. makes things a whole lot easier. If the cap is that right then it could be from last time. brake fluid does not evaporate so would stay in the cap if its a snug tight fit.

likely did not damage anything. I always use the old brake pad to compress the piston or as a backing plate if tryign to get the new pad "snaped" in.

if you had a leak you should see lower brake fluid (i have heard the MK3's are really sensitive to brake fluid levels). the pad ware I would say is normal to have a bit of difference. as your driving around and the ABS works and the torque vectoring and everything else on these cars you may see a little un even ware. 1.5mm I would say would be normal. not sure what the manufacture tolerances are for the pads, could have started out 0.5mm different.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 4,073, Level 40
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
The fluid looks good, almost new since I don't drive it much. The fluid level I am not too sure, didn't check it much and that's a bad habit. But before I compressed the front brake piston in I opened the reservoir and vaguely remembered it's near the max level. Not very sure about the level but after I compressed the 1st piston the fluid was 1/2 inch from coming out. So maybe 3/4 inch above max level. And the old pads in that brake were down to 4.5mm and 5.5mm (Not sure if this helps anything just some additional info)

Yeah I am using TYP 200 for HPDE. Hmm russell speed bleeders I think I heard that a few times before, will check it out when I get a chance. I use motive power bleeder and it's so far so good for me.

When I took off the nipple cap I didn't feel any fluid at the bottom, fluid only inside the cap. Didn't see any drip around sway bar and other parts. Going to check the valve see if it's loose or anything, then change the brake fluid.

MK3 are very sensitive to brake fluid levels? Will check fluid more often then!! Can you elaborate on that would like to know more.

The pad wear of 1.5mm difference, just to double check it's the right rear wheel, the bottom of the inboard pad is 1.5mm less than top, the outboard pad is 6mm for both top and bottom part. (I measure top and bottom of the pads) That's normal?

Thanks so much man I feel a lot better now, was thinking it's leaking and it would be a headache as HPDE is approaching. I think the fluid level was good, maybe just fluid from the last bleed.

(If brake fluid is low I need to press the pedal much further right?)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Thats What She Said

Points 20,992, Level 91
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Mk3's are more sensitive in that the brake warning light will turn on sooner. the Mk1 and think Mk2 you could be below the low on the fill line and it will still not turn on the light. for Mk3's once it gets close to the low line (so when your brakes need replacing) the light will come on.

if brake fluid is low but still to the point it is not putting air in the system the brake pedal should feel the same. the onlyt thing that should change the brake pedal distance is if there is air in the line.

For the pad thickness I guess you can check the caliper slides and make sure it feels equal force to slide both. I think there is a company that makes some awesome replacements that remove the slop in the slide pins.
okaythen likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 4,073, Level 40
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Mk3's are more sensitive in that the brake warning light will turn on sooner. the Mk1 and think Mk2 you could be below the low on the fill line and it will still not turn on the light. for Mk3's once it gets close to the low line (so when your brakes need replacing) the light will come on.

if brake fluid is low but still to the point it is not putting air in the system the brake pedal should feel the same. the onlyt thing that should change the brake pedal distance is if there is air in the line.

For the pad thickness I guess you can check the caliper slides and make sure it feels equal force to slide both. I think there is a company that makes some awesome replacements that remove the slop in the slide pins.
caliper slide pins how hard to tighten them? it's 7mm allen so you can't use tq wrench, I just use both hands and give it pretty good torque,sometimes it leaves a long mark on my hands heh. That's not too much tq right.

Well I just got done bleeding the brake fluid, that one valve seems ok so probably no leak. But when I opened the valve it leaks around the valve, when I close the valve it stops, I remember the same thing happened the last time I bled it. I guess it's just crappy valves. (also this time I got quickjack so I can see around the valves better)

I thought TYP 200 is blue, but the color is very close to my old fluid!!!! It's been one year but only 2300 miles or so so it's pretty clean. I think old fluid is a little more yellowish than new, new fluid it's kinda no color in the hose. So I just looked at the color and stop accordingly. So RR I bled out 350mm, RL 175mm, FR 100 and also 100 for FL, is that about right? If some old fluid is still there and the job is 85% let's say, should be ok or?

When I opened the valve to around 1/4 turn to 1/3 I see tiny things rushing through the hose, if I almost close it and just let a small bit coming out I don't see those, are those tiny bubble of air from opening the valve too much?!?!?!?!

When I was bleeding the front ones I turned car to accessory and turned the steering wheel to better access the bleeding valve. Turning on the car didn't affect the bleeding process right? (Didn't turn it on and drive it, just to accessory)

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 402829
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus,2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Points 676, Level 13
Points: 676, Level: 13 Points: 676, Level: 13 Points: 676, Level: 13
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 2 zacautomotive Good Standing Member
Have you ever heard of Allen/Hex head sockets?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Thats What She Said

Points 20,992, Level 91
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
caliper slide pins how hard to tighten them? it's 7mm allen so you can't use tq wrench, I just use both hands and give it pretty good torque,sometimes it leaves a long mark on my hands heh. That's not too much tq right.
Its not how tight they are torque wise its how smooth they slide. if one slider binds or does not have full range because of crap in the slider you may get this kind of pad ware. as the above poster said you can get sockets with allen heads on them. I don't torque mine down other than by a snug that will do kind of "ugga" torque method.

Quote:
Well I just got done bleeding the brake fluid, that one valve seems ok so probably no leak. But when I opened the valve it leaks around the valve, when I close the valve it stops, I remember the same thing happened the last time I bled it. I guess it's just crappy valves. (also this time I got quickjack so I can see around the valves better)
Sounds like the threads are just worn. this sometimes can make bleeding difficult since you will have air come in around the threads.

Quote:
I thought TYP 200 is blue, but the color is very close to my old fluid!!!! It's been one year but only 2300 miles or so so it's pretty clean. I think old fluid is a little more yellowish than new, new fluid it's kinda no color in the hose. So I just looked at the color and stop accordingly. So RR I bled out 350mm, RL 175mm, FR 100 and also 100 for FL, is that about right? If some old fluid is still there and the job is 85% let's say, should be ok or?

It use to be blue but a long time ago. DOT forced them to make the color the "normal" color when selling in the US due to rules or laws about the color of the fluid. guess it was difficult for people inspecting or servicing cars to make sure it was correct fluid. Your doing HPDE, guessing your not on full racing slicks. I would say a yearly "flush" where you put a few cups of fluid through the system each year is more than enough. If you start experiencing brake fade or your pedal travel is further you have boiled your brakes. Have a spare bottle of Ford Heavy Duty DOT brake fluid or the O'rileys Auto Brake Best Select DOT 4 fluid on hand. Those two brake fluids are actually really good brake fluid and can easily be bought at a low $/oz.

Quote:
When I opened the valve to around 1/4 turn to 1/3 I see tiny things rushing through the hose, if I almost close it and just let a small bit coming out I don't see those, are those tiny bubble of air from opening the valve too much?!?!?!?!
I would say yes or old / bad bleeders that are now leaking past the threads. something you don't want. Thus why I would recommend the Russell Speed Bleeders... I have them on both my Foci and my Jeep and soon to be my Explorer once I need to service the brakes or fluid.

Quote:
When I was bleeding the front ones I turned car to accessory and turned the steering wheel to better access the bleeding valve. Turning on the car didn't affect the bleeding process right? (Didn't turn it on and drive it, just to accessory)
Nope. with a vacuum pump bleeder system you could even have car running and bleed the system (I think) since your not using the brakes so the brake booster is not doing any thing so there would be no pressure in the system. you would not want to use the pedal while trying to bleed because a low pressure system becomes a very high pressure system of hundreds of PSI.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in