Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 125033
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SVT 4 door

Points 516, Level 10
Points: 516, Level: 10 Points: 516, Level: 10 Points: 516, Level: 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mcoppola Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any?

Anyone else interested in a set of billet hubs for the mk1 & 2 cars? We race in Chumpcar/now Champcar, and have seen several other Focus teams break hubs. We missed out on getting some of the Super hubs from Golis Machine, but worked with another supplier that I found on the FJ forum, and we had the shop make 5 sets of hubs back in Spring of 2016. I've steered several teams to Golis over the past year when they made the most recent run of parts. Recently I've been approached by more teams needing these hubs, and am in the process of organizing another group buy to do so. I've discussed this with msperber, who in fact has a set of the hubs from my supplier that he purchased years before the Super hubs were available. He had no idea where they came from, so I solved a mystery for him. Neither manufacturer has had any reports of failures of their hubs.
IF you're interested in a set, please speak up now. These hubs are in fact slightly lower priced than the Super hubs, and actually have more meat in the area that the stock parts fail, another improvement over the original design. To date, my supplier has built 10-12 sets of these hubs with no reported failures. The Focus racer that I learned about these hubs from has a time attack car that runs on 275/35/15 Hoosiers on 10" wide rims and has never had any issues. Emailing pics and info will be easier, so PM me your contact info if interested..

regards,
Mike Coppola
P.S. More info can be found in the FJ forum or the Champcar forum, or feel free to contact me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
Trump 2016

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3

Points 32,467, Level 100
Points: 32,467, Level: 100 Points: 32,467, Level: 100 Points: 32,467, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 11 pasta Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (55)
What is the price.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 516, Level 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Price is $600 a pair from my supplier and includes cadmium plating and ARP long studs.
felixthecat likes this.

Last edited by mcoppola; 06-20-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: the price did go up slightly from the last batch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 516, Level 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Since I AM able to post pics here (and not on the FJ forum), here are a few pics of the billet hubs I've had made.
Attached Thumbnails
Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any?-img_0592.jpg  

Attached Images

felixthecat likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Thats What She Said

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 MB ZX3, 2004 SY SVT ZX5

Points 20,861, Level 91
Points: 20,861, Level: 91 Points: 20,861, Level: 91 Points: 20,861, Level: 91
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 23 Magus2727 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Would you be willing to offer machining of the ARP studs to add a bull nose?

Also would you be willing to make in the 5 lug bolt pattern or more common 4 lug? There are some machine shops that will drill and fill the holes in. Would be nice to have a native form factor in this option.

Also not to spur any false hope on me joining the buy, I got two sets of the last set of supper Hubs last year so will be set for a long time. But these things should be solid and are a 100% need. I was busting my hubs on my car at the track with a standard DOT 200 UTQG summer performance tire during HPDE events. Let alone when I start doing TT or wheel to wheel and have full racing slicks. These may cost some (I paid $700 a set for my super hubs), but its still cheaper than trying to go over to a Mazda 3 front end, or having to spend $$ on replacing half shafts, fluid, tie rod end, and machine shop pressing and bearings. I spent $300-400 in parts and labor every time one of my hubs broke. This will pay for it self in the long run and also give you insurance to know if you take that turn you wont feel and hear a pop, and have your brake pedal go to the floor and possibly loose a wheel.
mcoppola likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 516, Level 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Magus2727 - thanks for sharing your experience and insight with the rest of the community. As you said, if you track or race an mk1 or 2 Focus, you WILL eventually break front hubs. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN. I did a lot of research a few years back, and consider myself pretty well educated about this issue. I have a whole folder of pictures on my iPhone of other people's broken hubs that I show other Focus teams all the time. I decided I was going to fix this problem before it happened to us.

Each time I see a new Focus team show up at a track day, or at 1 of our endurance races in Chumpcar/now Champcar, or the World Racing League, the first thing I tell them is that they need these front hubs. I've had people laugh in my face, or tell me the problem is alleviated with proper brake cooling, or that they replace hubs prior to each race as a precaution, or that "at that price, I'll just buy a new one for $50, and keep replacing them."
EVERY ONE of these teams has eventually come back to me and asked me where and how they can obtain some of these hubs! Or worst yet, some of them have abandoned racing their Foci, and moved on to another type of vehicle. They finally realized that the time lost on track, cost of replacement parts/repairs (as documented in the post above) and most of all, the SAFETY factor involved with losing a wheel at high speed - these factors all changed their minds and they purchased either the Super Hubs, or some of these hubs from my supplier.

Neither of the suppliers that have built these billet hubs have had any reports of failures of their parts. Also, neither supplier advertises or markets these hubs, as they are a very low volume item. The only way to obtain them is to have the shop(s) make a minimum batch of 10-12 pieces. Other folks like Msperber, ShelbyGT, etc. kicked off the builds of these hubs years ago. I merely carried the torch and have built relationships with both suppliers to help provide a solution to other Focus racers, just as Mike S, and others did for me.

To answer Magus2727's questions, I have good news for each question.
a) The most recent batch of hubs I bought DID include long ARP bull nose studs. A pic of my last batch is shown below.
b) My supplier WILL make the hubs in ANY bolt pattern you want them made in. At the request of someone on the FJ forum, one pair (so far) in this batch will be made with a 5x114.3mm bolt pattern, with a slightly increased hub face O.D. due to each stud being 3.15mm outboard on the hub face. (114.3-108=6.3 diameter / 3.15mm radius difference)
c) We can also double drill (2) different 4 bolt patterns into the hubs if we delete the scalloping operation that is seen on the pics above. I've researched wheel choices heavily and want a couple sets made in the 4x100mm Miata bolt pattern, as there are many wheel choices that can then be used on the Focus. My next hubs will have the 4x108 and 4x100 patterns so that i can eventually change everything over to the Miata size.
d) Now, for the best news of all - There is NO ADDITIONAL charge to build any of the special requests - hub price is still $600/pair, which includes cadmium plating and ARP long bull nose studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any?-img_0844.jpg  

Old 06-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: 05 ST Focus 2014, 2016 SE Champion,

Points 995, Level 16
Points: 995, Level: 16 Points: 995, Level: 16 Points: 995, Level: 16
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 5 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
After seeing the pics here I acquired a set of the scalloped hubs. Amazing quality and we have had them installed on one car which has seen a ton of action. Performance has been as described, perfect! If hubs are needed or even thinking about them these are a terrific product. The addition of the 4x100 pattern makes for an amazing upgrade.
mcoppola likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Thats What She Said

Points 20,861, Level 91
Level Up 3% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Make the backing thicker to the face so you are getting a "backing plate"? 25mm spacer built in with the long ARP bull nose would be perfect... Or what ever more thickness you need for your wheels you are running. Be able to back drill from the bottom to allow for full thread length still.?

Problem now is I have the super hubs which won't brake so this cool new hub effort I will never see.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 516, Level 10
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
The issues I see (if the builder even agreed) to make a thicker hub face, or 'backing plate', as you called it are:
A) a huge increase in the weight of the hub, something racers detest...
B) the brake rotor would also move outboard, and would not line up with the caliper any more. How would that issue be corrected?

We won't pursue this request/idea for these reasons, as well as the fact that it would be much simpler, lighter and probably less expensive to just use the typical aluminum wheel spacers if needed for certain wheel offsets. While we are being flexible with offering different bolt patterns at no additional fee, we are not looking to change the design in other ways.
'03 Ford Focus SVT
Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Thats What She Said

Points 20,861, Level 91
Level Up 3% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Sounds good, moment of weakness. Forgot that wheel spacers go between the rotor and the wheel.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in