Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/)
-   -   Problem after lowering mk3 (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/614457-problem-after-lowering-mk3.html)

Juicedz 10-15-2015 09:01 PM

Problem after lowering mk3

Feeling a little defeated with this modification right about now. I recently lowered my car on eibach sportlines, st front struts, and titanium handling package rear shocks. I've noticed recently that every time I pull out or pull in on an angled parking spot with a curb I get a loud creak/clunk coming from the front end. Even if I back out and the rear wheel drops first I can hear the front end make a noise. I seem to get a quiter noise on flat surface, when I'm making a tight turn as well. [facepalm] I'm not sure if they're related or not.
I need to go in and triple check the tq on all the bolts again but they were all double checked prior to finalizing the project. Does this sound like a loose sway bar issue? My biggest fear would be the top strut nut being loose which would mean the entire assemblies would have to come out and a realignment would have to be done.

pasta 10-15-2015 11:04 PM

Any lowered suspension mods your going to get squeeks.

felixthecat 10-15-2015 11:18 PM

Did you use the spring insulators from the oem springs, if it had them? If you installed the strut mounts correctly, then I'd think the springs are creaking. IK kind of annoying. I asume you have the spring in the strut pocket. btw you should be able to get to the strut mount bolt, as its in the middle. If you zipped it on w/ a impact, I wouldn't think its loose as its under the spring pressure & you should have about 8-12 threads showing. Of course just snug the 3 strut mount bolts= 10 or so lbs. You don't want to over tighten those as you'd break of a mount stud.

felixthecat 10-15-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasta (Post 9076737)
Any lowered suspension mods your going to get squeeks.

ID have any. The only squeaks I've had is the front bar bushings yrs ago & regreased them when I had the cradle off for a torsen install.

Juicedz 10-16-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 9076785)
Did you use the spring insulators from the oem springs, if it had them? If you installed the strut mounts correctly, then I'd think the springs are creaking. IK kind of annoying. I asume you have the spring in the strut pocket. btw you should be able to get to the strut mount bolt, as its in the middle. If you zipped it on w/ a impact, I wouldn't think its loose as its under the spring pressure & you should have about 8-12 threads showing. Of course just snug the 3 strut mount bolts= 10 or so lbs. You don't want to over tighten those as you'd break of a mount stud.

Yea, I used the spring insulator from the oem springs on the rears. I believe the front struts just have the recesses built into the housing for the lower spring to sit into. I used st bearings and top mounts up front. I was not able to use an impact on the top nut and had to use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive. I believe there was about 5-8 threads showing. Probably not nearly as tight as an impact would do but I know that it gave enough room for everything to fit underneath of the st plastic components up top.

felixthecat 10-16-2015 08:39 AM

If you think you have the strut bolt tight w/ no slack then great. Did the new springs come w/ spring insulation? Like around the top? & did the oem springs have them?

Juicedz 10-16-2015 02:41 PM

Like when I'm making a sharp turn it pops somewhat. Spring insulation? Are you referring to the rubberized covering around the coil springs, about the last coil/coil and a half? If so than yes, the eibach springs have that insulation built in at the end. At the top the last coil sits in the "st strut mount" and above that the "st bearing" was pushed inside of that.

This is the only picture I have at the moment.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psofp3rycg.jpg

Looking at it again the insulation I was referring to is actually at the bottom. The lettering "eibach is facing up though. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to or not towards the bottom (gray rubberized covering).
Again, the spring at the top rest on the lower portion of the plastic st strut mount. Springs are 4.13435

I do think the 3 strut mount bolts on both sides were over torqued. Like 35-40 instead of 10.

felixthecat 10-16-2015 06:28 PM

Lucky you didn't break a stud mount stud, as I broke one yrs ago. I take it the bottom of the spring is in the strut plate seat. Looks good, from what I can see. The strut mount really only goes together one way & it looks like it is. Just for the heck of it, The other side= Is the pigtail at the top facing outwards also?

Juicedz 10-16-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 9079633)
Lucky you didn't break a stud mount stud, as I broke one yrs ago. I take it the bottom of the spring is in the strut plate seat. Looks good, from what I can see. The strut mount really only goes together one way & it looks like it is. Just for the heck of it, The other side= Is the pigtail at the top facing outwards also?

Yea, im positive both springs were perfectly seated in the strut plate seat. Im sorry but im not sure what a "pigtail" is? Are you refering to the last coil on top pointing outward? Can I just loosen the 3 strut mount bolts and retighten to 10 ft/lbs without having to replace all the bolts?

felixthecat 10-16-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juicedz (Post 9079953)
Yea, im positive both springs were perfectly seated in the strut plate seat. Im sorry but im not sure what a "pigtail" is? Are you refering to the last coil on top pointing outward? Can I just loosen the 3 strut mount bolts and retighten to 10 ft/lbs without having to replace all the bolts?

1st question yea, 2nd yea. I'd check the torque specs. Since you have then tighten down, I'd just leave them. This creaking is just going up & down curbs & kinda steep driveways? If so, I wouldn't sweat it. Drive it for a week or so, the springs have to take a set for a little bit.