Problem after lowering mk3 - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #51
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

Points 5,094, Level 45
Points: 5,094, Level: 45 Points: 5,094, Level: 45 Points: 5,094, Level: 45
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Any update, Juicedz ?
Well, itís been nearly 4 years with this set up and nothing has technically failed with it so thatís a plus. With that being said, the front suspension still makes noises over bumps and Iíve just learned to accept it. Iím possibly moving up to Michigan this winter so Iím debating whether or not to redo the suspension and install the vogtland lowering springs with the handling package struts. I would like to also install the rubber inserts that normally seat at the bottom of the strut. At this point the car sits soo low I canít even get it onto the racks at the automatic car wash without it getting stuck. Iíd say the sportlines settle in around 2Ē lower at least.
Hatch Nation#24 172whp 157wtq
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93808
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 764, Level 14
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 OldGray320i Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Man, crazy it never went away!

Vogtland springs will only put you up about a half inch, from what I've heard about Michigan roads, that might not help much. I did like the handling pack struts, but if you want a bit more comfort, KYB replacements on Vogtlands were always a good combo for some reason.

Ever see any paint worn away at places where contact might be taking place? Maybe a moot point now, anyway....

I sold the Focus a year ago or so, but I miss that car.

Probably should have kept it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using FF Mobile
Old 06-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #53
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,094, Level 45
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGray320i View Post
Man, crazy it never went away!

Vogtland springs will only put you up about a half inch, from what I've heard about Michigan roads, that might not help much. I did like the handling pack struts, but if you want a bit more comfort, KYB replacements on Vogtlands were always a good combo for some reason.

Ever see any paint worn away at places where contact might be taking place? Maybe a moot point now, anyway....

I sold the Focus a year ago or so, but I miss that car.

Probably should have kept it.

You think I should opt for the eibach pro’s or maybe the Steeda lowering springs? I really don’t want to go back to stock as it sat like a 4x4 truck from the factory but Michigan does have some of the worst roads in the country. I was strongly considering a truck but my car is paid off, has 92k miles, and I’m only planning on staying in Michigan for 2-3 years at the most. Hoping the Focus can endure the treacherous conditions until I can replace it with a truck. Florida has been good to her though so the car is in better condition than most cars with 30k miles.

Last edited by Juicedz; 06-09-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #54
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93808
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 764, Level 14
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 OldGray320i Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
You think I should opt for the eibach proís or maybe the Steeda lowering springs? I really donít want to go back to stock as it sat like a 4x4 truck from the factory but Michigan does have some of the worst roads in the country. I was strongly considering a truck but my car is paid off, has 92k miles, and Iím only planning on staying in Michigan for 2-3 years at the most. Hoping the Focus can endure the treacherous conditions until I can replace it with a truck. Florida has been good to her though so the car is in better condition than most cars with 30k miles.
Best bet all things considered, and I'd probably go Steedas, they seem to use what they develop, but you might run current set up for a bit in Michigan, see what you can get away with ride height wise.

But more damper/spring travel is better on rough surfaces.

Or, if you can find some high end coilovers (so probably ~ $2k cost wise) they usually package really well and get good travel on a smaller body.

For instance, in the Miata world, FMs Fox units and 949 racing Xidas are quality units that survive crappy environments quite well, but that kind of development costs.

It's been a while since I've looked at what's available for the Focus, don't know if there's a manufacturer that has something similar. Probably for the ST, but you'd want to make sure they fit well, and IIRC, the rears are different between ST and base.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #55
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,094, Level 45
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Well, I’ve got several months before I make the move so theres no rush. I’ll probably pay a shop to do it this time around though. It took me a solid 8 hours to do it all last time with hand tools and I’m just not in the mood to do that job again. It’ll cost me though.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 PM   #56
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,094, Level 45
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Ended up ordering the lowering springs from Steeda. Still looking at my options for st front struts and handling package rear shocks. Does anyone have the current part numbers for those? Can I reuse my top hats and bearings or should those be replaced?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in