rear lower control arm bolts seized - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34067
What I Drive: 98 BMW 328is/95 Saturn SL2

FF Reputation: 1 salvaged_S2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rear lower control arm bolts seized

i guess thats what ford calls it. the part the spring seats into. i had this problem back when i put on the vogtland springs and ford racing damper kit. i had to heat the bolt up, then cut the bolt out because it seized to the bushing. well, i tried to make a polyurethane bushing to replace the old (since it burned) and it didnt dry long enough. so it caused the wheel to pull.

now i have a replacement arm, but again i had to cut the bolt i replaced. no big deal as i planned to replace it (though its a 10.9 and ive gone through several blades to cut one side of it) but the other bolt that has the alignment tabs (which is factory bolt) is seized too. what was ford thinking!!!!!!!!!! is this a common problem? it seems as if all the rear suspension bolts are seized to the bushings. is there anything anyone has used that works like a champ to get them to release? 4lb sledge is of no avail. heat doesnt seem to do anything. im not sure that any penetrating lube would work cause how tight it is. but im open to ideas.

oh, the bolt with the alignment tabs, do i have to get that one from ford? i have a feeling its getting cut or ruined in some way. wait, ford used tty bolts back there didnt they?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Haterz gonna Hate

Fan#: 55434
What I Drive: 2003 Frost Silver zx3

Points 16,460, Level 82
Points: 16,460, Level: 82 Points: 16,460, Level: 82 Points: 16,460, Level: 82
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 18 xecutionr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
you have to use a reciprocating saw to cut those bolts, of thats what i did, bought new control arms and bolts. around 214$
Zetec Crew #343

1979 Ford F-150 Custom 200,000 and counting
2003 Ford Focus Zx3 - 130,000 and counting (DD)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

ive been using one. the bolts ford used, i think, cut off easily. but i put on a 10.9 bolt and as soon as the blade touches it, it rips the teeth off. i went through 4 18tpi, 1 14tpi, 1 all purpose (last ditch effort), and a carbide one that still has held up fairly well and help knock down some metal. i used the end of one of the 18tpi ones and used all my force and finally one end of the bolt was cut.

i was hoping to unbolt the crap, pop in the new arm, and be able to get my jack stands back so i could rotate the tires on the bmw. but nope. this car has never been easy to do anything on. well except for the front struts/springs. 15 minutes to remove and install new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57221
What I Drive: 2002 Toreador Red SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 wsigo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just FYI- I had to cut the outer lca bolt off on mine too, and I used my Dremel with one of the fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels that came with it. The bigger cut off wheel, not the smaller ones. Speed was set at 7/10. I was able to cut the bolt no problem, taking my time, and it didn't even use up much of the cut off disc.

But I'm guessing you guys cut the bolt between the bushing and the outer mount, so the size of the cut off wheel might be too small to do that. I cut off the bolt end that is in the tack welded nut. Cut the nut, and the bolt. I still have to drill some of the bolt though.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Haterz gonna Hate

Fan#: 55434
What I Drive: 2003 Frost Silver zx3

Points 16,460, Level 82
Points: 16,460, Level: 82 Points: 16,460, Level: 82 Points: 16,460, Level: 82
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 18 xecutionr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsigo View Post

But I'm guessing you guys cut the bolt between the bushing and the outer mount, so the size of the cut off wheel might be too small to do that. I cut off the bolt end that is in the tack welded nut. Cut the nut, and the bolt. I still have to drill some of the bolt though.
yup that's what i did
Zetec Crew #343

1979 Ford F-150 Custom 200,000 and counting
2003 Ford Focus Zx3 - 130,000 and counting (DD)
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
This is a common issue, almost universally common in the north. You should have the arm at the correct ride height when you loosen and tighten the bolt, because the bushing is designed to twist as the arm moves up and down. Still, if it is seized, you will need new arms and bolts. The bushings are not normally replaceable. Use anti-seize compound on the bolt when you reinstall it.

If you run a rear sway bar, you might need new arms anyway, they tend to crack around the sway bar mounting holes. The newer arms are reinforced in this area.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 61818
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT, 3-door

FF Reputation: 4 SVThree Good Standing Member
I just had this problem as well, but it was the whole trailing arm I had to pull, so there were three bolts (one for each arm that mounts to trailing arm) that were siezed and I had to cut them all out. I did find a prothane kit that was a direct replacement for the stock bushings but the real shocker was the price for the replacement bolts- more than the bushings. I guess that's what you get for going to a dealership...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Next time you replace those bolts: PAINT THEM IN ANTI-SIEZE!!!!!!!!!!

WAY too many performance mods to list. Check profile if you wanna know. And yes, I installed all my mods myself in my garage. No special tools.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Moonpie View Post
Next time you replace those bolts: PAINT THEM IN ANTI-SIEZE!!!!!!!!!!

did that with the one i replaced. still seized. the tolerance between bolt and bushing are so tight, it pushes all of it off. i typically use anti-seize where corrosion is a problem. its just a poor design
Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64124
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, Blue

FF Reputation: 2 TrueBlue02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The outer bolt is to be expected, sucks that your inner alignment bolt is siezed too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in