Letting wife autox 2013 SE in HS - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #51
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391050
What I Drive: 2013 Red Focus SE

Points 248, Level 4
Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 STR5Guy! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
I'm playing with an auto tranny car as well and with our longer courses, I really don't have any issue with the transmission after the replacement. I'm sure it will come along. But, for now, if I could just get some negative camber up front I'd be happy enough. I know it isn't a class car, and I've only been taking it to our practice days. But, it is fun enough for a burner.

FWIW, we used to have opinion towards lightweight wheels, but the more I' looking into it, I keep reading on Grassroots and the SCCA forums that lightweight wheels on a smooth surface aren't helping. Grip and suspension (read grip) are where it's at. I call it a can of worms, but it keeps me from buying expensive wheels. :p I just bought a set of CMAX rims for $125 off CL and put some Azenis on for the time being. Cheap entry on a non competetive car for seat time is perfect for me. I've been out of the game too long.

Did finally get a cheap GoPro so I got some decent footage on the last event. :p
I completely agree on the need for some camber up front. My car eats the outer shoulders on the tires, especially the fronts, during autox usage. I'm curious how my 245 Zii's will wear on my new 17x8 wheels.

I partially agree with the assessment of wheel weight on smooth surfaces, BUT lighter wheels is always BETTER than heavy wheels. Why not strive to find lighter wheels when possible?
I just purchased brand new wheels in 17x8 at just over 17lbs each for $105 a piece(including centering rings and lug nuts). IMHO, that is definitely worth the investment since my factory wheels are 21lbs each.

I also agree that the SE is seriously outgunned in HS, but it is an OK car for learning.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11306
Points 1,175, Level 18
Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mievil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Dunno, man. I run into the lightweight thing backpacking all the time. "But, if I only got 6oz lighter......" Then you end up spending $500 to save half a pound. :p

If you aren't in a competitive car, then dumping money into lightweight just makes it a money pit with no positive reward other than faster times and still no trophy. Now, keep the funds for when she gets more seat time and wants to step into a different car (if it isn't your Miata) and then put it into the mods there. But, spending money on a non winner (the car) just doesn't make sense, other than obviously the tire factor. And like I said, my mind still screams "lightweeeeeeeiiiiiiigghhhhhttt!" But, I just keep reading this on the autocross forums about the wheels not making as much of a difference as we think they do on a short course.

Sounds like a fun joint venture between you and your wife. :) I wish mine wanted ANYTHING to do with cars. lol
Arco-Zakus and STR5Guy! like this.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391050
What I Drive: 2013 Red Focus SE

Points 248, Level 4
Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 STR5Guy! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HaHa
You are right about money pits. Honestly, I got the 17x8 wheels as much to easy my conscience about putting my brother out of my Miata(if my wife gets in) as anything. Then my brother could autox my SE for only the cost of providing his own tires for the 17x8's.

If that path never develops, I then have light 17x8 for my daily usage. Light wheels definitely make a difference in a low power car on the street.

It is AWESOME that my wife has been willing to try driving. If she doesn't continue in the future, at least she will have a better appreciation for what I do and why I wish to modify my cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #54
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11306
Points 1,175, Level 18
Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mievil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
This was our last one. I'd love to try it in a Miata, but I'd end up spinning out I'm sure. lol

https://youtu.be/KCtAQMKN_6g

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in