My 03 SVT HS class autox-r - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 363474
What I Drive: 2003 SVT (CD silver) #1669

Points 2,110, Level 27
Points: 2,110, Level: 27 Points: 2,110, Level: 27 Points: 2,110, Level: 27
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Lost_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 03 SVT HS class autox-r

This year I decided to jump into the world of autocross. After searching Craigslist for a cheap racer I ended up with a 03 Focus SVT, I have a build thread in the build section for the whole story but here are the specs.

03 SVT CD Silver
Drop in K&N
MBPR cat back exhaust
brand new factory suspension
Poly rear swaybar bushings
Powerstop pads
Falken AZENIS RT615K (225/45/17)

To make sure this project was not going to drag on forever I went ahead and signed myself up for an autocross school with a local sports car club. Little did I know at the time the huge project I was about to take on.
Build thread here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...oss-build.html

Unfortunately the car was not ready in time for the school so I rolled up in our Dodge Journey. After a brief debate with the organizer of the event on the SCCA eligibility of a Dodge Journey they finally agreed to let me use the Journey since it was just a school and as long as I took it easy and didn't roll it. The school went really well. I learned a lot from my instructor and he was actually impressed with the stability of the Journey.

After the school I was hooked.
I decided to join the SCCNH (Sports Car Club of New Hampshire) which is the club that put on the autocross school and runs a monthly autocross in the parking lot of New Hampshire motor speedway. I was joining with only 3 of the 10 events left for the season. The club follows SCCA rules but groups the cars into 6 classes. P = stock performance, S = stock sedan, T = street touring, M = street modified, R = race and N = Novice. They use the PAX system so it levels out the playing field.

For the next 3 races of the year I will be running in the Novice class. That might sound easier but it is actually the largest class. Next year I will be running in the Stock Sedan class.

ZIPYSVT and felixthecat like this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,110, Level 27
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I had my first autocross 9/10. I think I did pretty good for my first time. I shaved 4 seconds off my time on my last run. I ended up 14th out of 24 in My class and 38th out of 55 overall. I'm happy with that for my first time and only 3rd time driving the car. I know I can get much better times with the car and that it is my ability that is holding me back but there are two things I need to address with the car that will help.

1) The brakes.
They are soft. I think I need to flush the lines and re-bleed the brakes. I can't brake hard enough approaching a corner. I feel if I had more brakes the weight transfer would help give me more traction to accelerate out of the corner.

2) Launching
It seemed no matter what RPM I let out the clutch the car would bog. One thing that my have added to this is the traction control. I would shut it off as I entered the staging area but while waiting I would shut the car off. I didn't think about it till after that when I restarted the car the traction control was back on again. Oops!

Last edited by Lost_Focus; 10-11-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,110, Level 27
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I had my second autoX last Sunday 10/8. I didn't have time to address the brake issue with the car since the last race however I did find one thing that I did fix.
Tire pressure!
I was in a rush to leave before the last event and forgot to check my tire pressure. This time the day before the autox I went to check the pressure and to my surprise they had 24 psi, thanks Tire Warehouse!
I decided to fill the tires to 40 PSI and I would chalk them.
The morning of the event it was overcast and by the time the first car left the gate is was pouring. The only did 3 runs for the morning session because everyone was going off course and it was taking forever.
In the afternoon the sun came out and the pavement dried. We ended up getting 6 afternoon runs. I never hit a cone all day and I ended up placing 6th in a class of 22 cars.
The car felt fast. The braking was still not as I liked it but I managed to work with it. My biggest problem was traction control. Now that I had my tire pressure adjusted the car was hooking better in the corners and as I would try to accelerate out of the corners the car felt like it was misfiring badly.

I have a plan before the next event. disable the traction control and replace the rear calipers/bleed and flush the brake system. It will be the last event of the season so I am going push it as much as I can.

On a side note I am starting to see my biggest competition for next year in Stock Sedan with be the Feista ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 16 FoST

Points 14,983, Level 79
Points: 14,983, Level: 79 Points: 14,983, Level: 79 Points: 14,983, Level: 79
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 31 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
One thing you can do is pull the fuse for the ABS system for events. this fully disables the traction control in the Focus. Even pushing the button does not fully disable the traction control system.

Regarding tire pressures. I tend to run 5-6lbs more pressure in the rear of my car to help the car rotate more. The pressure difference varies depending on the tires but in a FWD vehicle can make a huge difference.

Try to find a way to video your runs. Watching them later can definitely help you see where you are going wrong in certain segments of a course and will help with learning.

My wife just started autox with me and she likes to watch our runs to learn from me. I'm not the fastest but I certainly have a lot of seat time compared to her.

2016 Kona Blue Focus ST - current DD and cone killing machine

Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,110, Level 27
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well, the ABS issue should be fixed now. After reading through the archives of FF I came up with this. I tested it and it works great. It plugs right into the Traction control/ABS fuse spot. I drilled a hole in the access cover and mounted the switch. Mint!
Attached Thumbnails
My 03 SVT HS class autox-r-img_3766_1507847900172.jpg  

My 03 SVT HS class autox-r-img_3767_1507847934643.jpg  

My 03 SVT HS class autox-r-img_3768_1507847956874.jpg  

03 SVT #1669
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SCCA HS class AKA Conekiller
Old 10-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,130, Level 100
Points: 100,130, Level: 100 Points: 100,130, Level: 100 Points: 100,130, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Get a tune and a wide band air fuel gauge , will help performance and engine safety

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,110, Level 27
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Get a tune and a wide band air fuel gauge , will help performance and engine safety

Tom
That's the plan Tom. I am heading to SEMA in 2 weeks so I was waiting for that financial wound to heal a bit before I pull the trigger on the tune.
felixthecat likes this.
03 SVT #1669

SCCA HS class AKA Conekiller
Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 34,532, Level 100
Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100 Points: 34,532, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Good to swap out your brake hoses for ss & do a brake fluid flush.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 16 FoST

Points 14,983, Level 79
Points: 14,983, Level: 79 Points: 14,983, Level: 79 Points: 14,983, Level: 79
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 31 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Focus View Post
That's the plan Tom. I am heading to SEMA in 2 weeks so I was waiting for that financial wound to heal a bit before I pull the trigger on the tune.
Tune will put you into STF this year and STS next year. Not worth it. The Focus will never be competitive in STS next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Good to swap out your brake hoses for ss & do a brake fluid flush.
I'm fairly certain that SS Brake lines bump classes as well. I'd have to re-read the rules but there really is not much you can do to the car for stock classes.

Generally for stock you can do: (1) Sway Bar change, Brake Pads, Exhaust, Air Filter (Filter Only), and Struts/Shocks, Sticky tires, light weight wheels that are (+/-) 1" diameter and within 7mm of the factory offset. anything beyond those things changes you into a street touring class and if you get too crazy you will get bumped into street modified.

2016 Kona Blue Focus ST - current DD and cone killing machine

Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Focus View Post
Well, the ABS issue should be fixed now. After reading through the archives of FF I came up with this. I tested it and it works great. It plugs right into the Traction control/ABS fuse spot. I drilled a hole in the access cover and mounted the switch. Mint!
ABS can be useful. dont want to flatspot your expensive rubber......
also, i think i remember that pulling the TC/ABS fuse will disable the brake proportioning/bias, so you will lock up the rear brakes more
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in