June SCCA Solo Fast-Track. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87399
What I Drive: SHO, 02 SVTF

Points 336, Level 6
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 SHOspazz92 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
June SCCA Solo Fast-Track.

Don't know if many of you STF Contenders saw that the STAC is considering an allowance to allow aftermarket differentials in STS. They are also considering allowing differentials in STF.

Quote:
Street Touring
#19179 Alternatives to VLSD in Miatas
The STAC would like membership feedback on the following proposed rule change:
In Section 14.10, modify subsection K as follows:
“K. Limited Slip differentials
STS, STF: No limited slip differentials are permitted except for factory standard viscous coupler type units.
STS, STU, STR, STX, STP: Only standard (as defined in Section 12) limited slip differentials (LSD) are allowed
on AWD vehicles. For AWD vehicles that did not come with any type of limited slip differential (including center
differential or transfer case), a single aftermarket mechanical LSD may be added. 2WD vehicles may use any
mechanical LSD unit.”
Due to the age of the vehicles, and the increasing difficulty to find quality replacement OEM equivalent parts, the STAC
feels that STS would benefit from this allowance.
Additionally, the STAC would like to know whether the membership feels like this is an allowance that should be
adopted category wide (including STF)?
By extending the same allowance to the entire cateogry, it would create a
simpler singular rule thus alowing better benchmark comparisons, and also makes reclassing easier should a car fall
outside of its performance expectations.

Currently there are not any cars in STF with a LSD. IMO, Most cars in STF would not even benefit from a LSD anyways, as the majority of the field does not make enough power for wheel spin to be an issue. Even with a tune and 15x7.5's, my SVT Focus rarely suffers from tire spin on corner exit.

However...the two cars that would greatly benefit from a Diff in STF would be the K20 Powered cars (Civic SI and RSX-S). Those two cars are certainly the powerhouse of class, especially if they fully exploit the allowances of engine modifications in ST Trim. Many Focus with Full ST Legal engine mods would be lucky to make as much power as a stock RSX-S. With differentials, the advantage of weight would suddenly go away...as the K20 cars would actually have something to gain with a differential over the rest of the STF field.

If you are an SCCA member, I urge you to write a letter to the SEB. Whether you support adding diffs to STF, or not. I personally do not. The SEB is asking for member input...soo...input time!

You can write your letter here:

https://www.crbscca.com/

The June Fastrack is here:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1463758609

Here is the letter I wrote to the SEB:

Quote:
With the proposed change to STS and STF, I'd like to give my feedback.

First, I have no stake in STS, I can not tell you that the class would be any better with the addition of differentials.

However, I do currently run STF. Do to an unfortunante incident with my A-Street Corvette, I quickly rushed to put together my 2002 SVT Focus for competition this year. The car was put together with quality parts, on a budget and has proved to be competitive on a local level. I have yet to run it reigonally, but I do believe the car would hold its own. How quickly and cheaply this car was put together, in my opinion, echoes what I perceive to be the spirit of this class - A Cheap, FWD car with easily attainable off the shelf parts, that can be quickly installed (as the majority of allowances are mere bolt ons) with a good result (I.E. - A competitive car).

As it sits, the car needs nothing more than aftermarket seats, a lightweight battery and a and some coilovers to be a full tilt STF build. Assuming I use sleeves (Like Ground Control, or the like) on the cars current Koni's, that's less than $1,000 dollars to have a car that would be competitive on a Local (already is locally) and Reigonal level...and who knows, may be even at least a trophy contender at nationals.

Now what if differentials are allowed? Add another $2,000 of parts and labor to the mix.

Right now the car does not really suffer from inside tire spin on corner exit...I would wager MOST of the current STF does not either....EXCEPT...for the K20 Powered Civic and RSX. Those two cars in full STF trim already have an exceptional advantage over the rest of the STF field in terms of power that can be acheived with ST Legal engine modifications. The K20 is a powerhourse, my SVT Focus, even with full bolt ons, would be lucky to make the same power that a stock RSX-S makes.

The big advantage I have over the RSX of course is weight, and what I imagine is an easier time coming out of the tighter corners as I have far less power to manage. Throw in a differential allowance? My advantage suddeny becomes far less signifcant. The K20 cars would simply walk away from the rest of the STF field that quite frankly, does not even have the power to take advantage of a differential in many cases.

The K20 cars are going to be the top STF cars this year, guarunteed. An overdog? Maybe not. But add the differential allowance and they certainly will.

I urge you to just leave STF alone, the class is fine as is.

Thanks.

-Sam

03 C5 Z06 - AS # 12 - [email protected] - R.I.P.
04 C5 Z06 - Sold
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55097
What I Drive: 2000 Zetec sedan

Points 177, Level 3
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 STS-focus Good Standing Member
Yup, wrote my letter.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
2013 SCCA National Championship 6th Place Trophy Winner in STF
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Milwaukee STF Winner
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Peru 3rd Trophy
2013, 2012 Chicago Region SCCA STF Season Champion
Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119827
What I Drive: 2004 2.3L ZX3

Points 1,388, Level 20
Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 JustinT Good Standing Member
I don't support LSD's in STF either. The cars that belong in STF don't need them, and the cars that need them don't belong in STF. Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Civic SI already has an LSD and is in STX.

for STF
Civic (non-Si) (2006-15)
Civic (all) (2001-05)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT
Old 05-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87399
What I Drive: SHO, 02 SVTF

Points 336, Level 6
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 SHOspazz92 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
Civic SI already has an LSD and is in STX.

for STF
Civic (non-Si) (2006-15)
Civic (all) (2001-05)
The 7th Generation Civic SI (EP3) is in STF, and is one of the K20 cars mentioned. It is a open differential car. No LSD.

The 8th Generation Civic SI is in STX, it has a factory LSD. Differentials are allowed in to be added in STX anyways, not in STS or STF however.

The non SI 8th Generation Civic is in STF, this is a open differential car.

-Sam
03 C5 Z06 - AS # 12 - [email protected] - R.I.P.
04 C5 Z06 - Sold
Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOspazz92 View Post
The 7th Generation Civic SI (EP3) is in STF, and is one of the K20 cars mentioned. It is a open differential car. No LSD.

The 8th Generation Civic SI is in STX, it has a factory LSD. Differentials are allowed in to be added in STX anyways, not in STS or STF however.

The non SI 8th Generation Civic is in STF, this is a open differential car.

-Sam
looks at your signature....

ya, you probably know a thing or two about civics.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in