Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Autocross Racing (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/autocross-racing/)
-   -   Ideas (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/autocross-racing/581017-ideas.html)

Briman 06-25-2015 08:53 AM

Ideas

hey everyone i am looking to get into atuox next year and was looking for opinions.

I have a fswerks strut tower bar, fswerks cai, getting the fswerks race exhaust next month, and have a steeda sts.

I made a list of things to buy
Fswerks rear stress bar
Front/rear sway bars
Svt suspension conversion/coil overs (not sure which one)
Tuner

Ive been driving my focus for 6 years now. I know autox is a lot different but im always pushing turns when i drive i think i have a really good feel for my car.

What do you guys think?

Lukemc 06-25-2015 09:17 AM

Honestly the beauty of autocross is you can run whatever you bring and still have a blast. Get your car in good working order to pass tech and then just drive youre best. Youll be surprised at how much improving you need as a driver before youre at the limit of your car.

That said the SVT suspension would be my #1 first upgrade

Briman 06-25-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukemc (Post 8653353)
Honestly the beauty of autocross is you can run whatever you bring and still have a blast. Get your car in good working order to pass tech and then just drive youre best. Youll be surprised at how much improving you need as a driver before youre at the limit of your car.

That said the SVT suspension would be my #1 first upgrade

Ok cool. Thanks Luke i wasnt sure if coilovers are really worth it right away

sailor 06-25-2015 09:45 PM

Just show up & run what you brung this year to start.

Don't buy ANYTHING until you check out where you're gonna run it & the class rules.

SCCA & NASA would likely be a bit different for example. More likely to be SCCA organized around here I think, but i don't know who's doing it in your exact area.

There's a street class now in SCCA that allows some typical street mods., they created it a while back to attract folks who already had or wanted to do some of the typical changes.

You can have fun driving whatever you like, but it's often more fun if you fit well in a class for competition with others. Getting stuck with a bunch of full race cars as competitors because you have ONE extra mod that doesn't even help much to bump you out of the class you SHOULD be in would mean you'd NEVER trophy.

Doesn't matter as far as driving enjoyment, but it can be nice when there are others running close to you for the competitive part.

wrc_fan 06-26-2015 07:38 AM

I second getting out and trying autox before making any mods. Do it for a while, then you'll have a better feel for what upgrades you'll want to make. You quite possibly will be surprised what upgrades will actually make a difference.

Having dedicated wheels and tires to do events on was one of my favorite early mods. Tires will be the biggest factor in how fast you go:D

If you want to do mods, camber plates, koni yellows, and a bigger rear sway bar are probably the biggest bang for your buck modifications.

prerunnerwannabe 06-28-2015 07:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 8656897)
I second getting out and trying autox before making any mods. Do it for a while, then you'll have a better feel for what upgrades you'll want to make. You quite possibly will be surprised what upgrades will actually make a difference.

Having dedicated wheels and tires to do events on was one of my favorite early mods. Tires will be the biggest factor in how fast you go:D

If you want to do mods, camber plates, koni yellows, and a bigger rear sway bar are probably the biggest bang for your buck modifications.

^This^. At this point for my Focus, I think tires and wheels are what would make the biggest difference. But like what was said, go try it before you spend lots of moneys modding your Focus for autocross. You can have a blast in bone stock cars!

felixthecat 06-28-2015 08:40 PM

All the above^^^^^ I'd do a fixed platform over c/o's & put the $ difference towards a torsen.