Focus Fanatics Forum banner

I screwed up. Need help. Airbox resonator delete

14K views 59 replies 17 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Hi gang.

My ingenious self filled the airbox resonator with Great Stuff. My idea was to gain a little more intake noise and reduce airbox turbulence. Chalupa Jones asked me if I used a high heat foam. I checked the can (after the fact, of course) and it says not to use around anything higher than 240 degrees. Unsure of exactly how warm the engine bay can get, I removed my now Great Stuff filled airbox resonator.

My problem: Now at 3,100 RPM I get a hugely loud and headache inducing drone.

What I need: Is a solution. I'm unsure of exactly what I can use in the engine bay because of the heat. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to remove the Great Stuff from the airbox resonator and re-install that.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 · (Edited)
Ahaha I literally removed the bottom resonator myself this weekend. My drone appears at 2000 but it's tolerable.

I liked the drone initially, but I ended up plugging it up with duct tape. Though I'm going to see if I can find something like this that will fit in the hole instead

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161049463756&alt=web

#4 ·
Toaster, I don't know how you find that drone tolerable. Mine hits me at 3,100 and under load it's absolutely horrible.

I think I have it fixed for now but I still want to buy a replacement airbox resonator. I appreciate the tip CFHGARZA but I'm E-bay stupid. Would anybody happen to have a part number for Ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.

#8 ·
would anybody happen to have a part number for ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.
bv6z-9b659-a

There's one as low as $22 on ebay.

#5 ·
The resonator should be sold separately - when I replaced my air box (screw threads stripped out by previous owner) it came from the dealer as a unit (bottom, lid, and filter) without the resonator.

#9 ·
Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat. I wanted to reduce summertime heat soak in the box from stop and go driving around town. It does slow down the air box heat soak and I think it makes the snorkel deleted and resonator deleted air box quieter.

FYI - I have an AEM Dryflow filter in it and the Ford Racing cold air snorkel attached to the front.

#10 ·
Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat.
If you leave that hole open, it is VERY loud. It sounds amazing though. I absolutely loved the sound. However, under load at 3,100 RPM it was unbearable. Living in hilly WVA the car is under load all of the time.

BTW, where do you get this tape you're talking about?

To everyone else, thanks for the help. I have it fixed in the mean time and I have a buddy ordering me that airbox resonator from Ebay for a permanent fix. I plan on buying the whole intake assembly off of our buddy Chalupa Jones. Then I can have some fun with the airbox lid and a dremmel. I already desperately miss the sound of having that hole in the bottom of the airbox. The car sounded amazing.

I have to keep reminding myself though.. this is the wifey's car.

#11 ·
Thanks for making this thread AC!

Now that my exhaust is louder, I want to pick-up the intake volume/gurgle/growl thingy without using hot air to do it.

Questions:

1) can the resonator be easily reinstalled if I don't like the sound?
2) if I leave the hole exposed, will it be pulling in cold-ish air sense it's well away from the motor?
3) if I plug the hole, would the sound be too faint?
4) should I just get an open-ended filter instead?

Thanks!

#14 ·
Yeah, its honestly held in with a bolt. Just put it back and bolt it back on.

I think it will pull in warmish air from the engine.

With the lower resonator off, it made a really low loud drone at about 2.5 / 3k rpm.
I plugged it, and its a tad bit lower that with it on, and theres none of that 2.5 / 3k drone.

I haven't tried a open end filter

#13 ·
I took out the resonator on mine and paired with a green filter, (airbox lid kept on) it actually doesn't drone too much, I think it sounds fairly nice. On the highway, if I don't hot rod around, the sound almost goes away completely. Initially I had the lid off of my airbox and almost didn't notice a change in sound after taking the resonator out.

#18 ·
I'll be taking off my airbox lid Friday and give it a good test. I wonder how the sound will stack up to the AB resonator delete?

The company is Thermo-Tec. I bought these 'Cool it' squares off their website. If I remember right they are located in Michigan.

I have done some DYI testing and it does slow down the temperature rise by several minutes in stop and go driving.
Thanks brother, I'll be ordering some.

#17 ·
The company is Thermo-Tec. I bought these 'Cool it' squares off their website. If I remember right they are located in Michigan.

I have done some DYI testing and it does slow down the temperature rise by several minutes in stop and go driving.

#30 ·
Hello Team Foci!

Got the exhaust put on. I'm not sure what it sounds like outside of the car yet. I need to have someone drive the car for me so I can hear it. It does have a little drone at idle through 1,500 RPM and around 3,100 RPM under load, which surprised me. I didn't think I would get any drone with doing just a muffler swap, especially using an 18'' Magnaflow.

I opened my driver side door and revved the engine and I really liked what I heard. It does sound a lot deeper.

I've yet to see what the wife thinks. She better like it because I don't want to go back to stock!

#32 ·
Seems to be more prone to the drone cold, yes. While it does get better once warm it doesn't go away completely. In my opinion it's nothing unmanageable. I haven't had the car on the highway yet. I should tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is at highway speeds.

I did have my coworker drive the car around the block for me today. I am very impressed. More than happy. The car sounds completely stock just cruising but once he put the throttle down she opened up. Very deep and very aggressive. I'm happy with it.

#37 ·
I just took the lid off. It sounds awesome with my exhaust! Too bad it's letting in hot air. I'm in Kansas City right now; 91 degrees, but the throttle response feels better with the lid off!

The bottom of the box has metal flaps that hold the filter in place, so the filter shouldn't pop off.

I think I will order the green filter next.

#40 ·
They don't, you don't need one in the factory set up because the box holds the filter in place on both ends. I put a hose clamp on mine when I took my entire airbox off to run it like a ram intake. Shouldn't have any issues with the lid off either because the box still supports it and holds it in place.

#43 · (Edited)
On a side note, I found a way to run an open lid with possible benifits; although not very practical for daily driving, and not 100% "safe."

If you close the hood until the safety latch locks (not all the way closed), you have an opening to get direct cold air to the opened lid filter. Also by doing this, it leaves a gap at the back of the hood (which is normally sealed)- that may create a "cowl induction" effect by sucking the hot air out from under the hood.

Again, not very practical, but it should be a good way to avoid heat soak.

EDIT: probably not legal, and done at your own risk lol

Reactions: AmericanCaveman
#44 ·
Yeah that's risky. lol

Also, cowl induction hoods suck air in at the back.
So the air coming in the front might fight against that. Not sure.

#49 ·
[thumb] This is the first I've seen this recommendation. I see this is used on several applications, including the ST. Is this a direct swap for the Mk3? Does it fit the mount points and cold air feed tubes in the Focus exactly, or are modifications required? Is seems like it should since it has a Focus application, but I just want to clarify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.