Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Field Service Action 15B22

133K views 334 replies 72 participants last post by  stayboogy 
#1 ·
On a recent visit to the Ford Owner site, I noticed a new FSA showing for both of our DCT-equipped 2012 Foci:

15B22 TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING FOR OVERT TCM FAILURE WARNING

A search of FF turned up no hits, and we've received no letters from Ford so far, so I assume that this is a pretty recent development. Thought I might check in here and see if anyone has any further details.

It doesn't appear to be a warranty extension, as that was already covered by the 14M02 Customer Satisfaction Program, but rather a one-time TCM re-programming.

Reactions: PratoN
#2 ·
Haven't even seen an example posted yet of an "Overt TCM Failure Warning".

Hate to speculate, but the subject of no real code for this (so no code is in memory after an issue) came up again this week and it would be NICE if this is an update to create a better code/warning in the system to reduce ambiguity when there is a failure.

14M02 lists multiple possible codes, few if any show up consistently when a problem occurs.

#4 · (Edited)
I called our dealership to set up a service for our SE and asked about scheduling FSA 15B22. All the service advisor could find about it was that it was "pending", so I think we'll have to wait a bit for the details.

He did verify that the version of the TCM software they used when they replaced the clutch pack back in May is still the current version, so re-programming now would have little effect.

Reactions: ELCouz
#5 ·
This customer satisfaction program updates the TCM software in affected vehicles to provide improved
detection and overt warning of electrical circuit failures in the TCM. Electrical circuit failures within the
TCM may develop and result in intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement while driving,
no-start, or a lack of power. Updating the TCM software will help ensure the vehicle operator is alerted to
potential issues with the TCM prior to failure

#7 ·
Had the front brakes done on Monday. During that service, they applied 15B22. I hadn't really noticed anything different. But today I went to drive it and the check engine light came on with "SERVICE TRANSMISSION" warning (or maybe "TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION"... I forget the actual wording). The car wouldn't go into gear at all. I shut it off, and started it back up. Same error. Car would go into gear, but would not upshift until close to redline. Had it towed to the dealer and now waiting to see what's next. Hopefully it's just a software problem having to do with the 15B22 recall.

#11 ·
Bought a used 2013 Focus Titanium a few months back. It has a shudder problem. It is intermittent, so I have had it in twice now, but they couldn't get it to read over the 250 rpm to replace the clutch pack.

Anyway, I has this flash done on Tuesday. Today the shudder came back and a CEL code P0902 "Clutch Actuator Circuit" came with it.

Hopefully this means I will get a resolution to my transmission problems on my next visit to Ford service.
I have a 2012 Focus SEL with 28K miles. Always had intermittent shuttering, hesitation and noise issues. Yesterday, suddenly lost power and as with Steve above, would move at low rpm with hesitation, but to try to get up to speed, it would rev high, briefly accelerate, then cut out again, couldn't really get over 30mph. I noted the 15B22 on my online Ford account. Tow truck just took it away to the dealer, waiting for the likely inevitable back and forth to try and get it sorted. Given all the problems with this transmission, I'm hoping they just fix it. Will post resolution when I know something.

Hi guys,

You're all on the right track, having gone to your dealers. I want to do a little digging and look for some additional assistance. Please private message me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#8 ·
Bought a used 2013 Focus Titanium a few months back. It has a shudder problem. It is intermittent, so I have had it in twice now, but they couldn't get it to read over the 250 rpm to replace the clutch pack.

Anyway, I has this flash done on Tuesday. Today the shudder came back and a CEL code P0902 "Clutch Actuator Circuit" came with it.

Hopefully this means I will get a resolution to my transmission problems on my next visit to Ford service.

#9 ·
I have a 2012 Focus SEL with 28K miles. Always had intermittent shuttering, hesitation and noise issues. Yesterday, suddenly lost power and as with Steve above, would move at low rpm with hesitation, but to try to get up to speed, it would rev high, briefly accelerate, then cut out again, couldn't really get over 30mph. I noted the 15B22 on my online Ford account. Tow truck just took it away to the dealer, waiting for the likely inevitable back and forth to try and get it sorted. Given all the problems with this transmission, I'm hoping they just fix it. Will post resolution when I know something.

#75 ·
Follow-up from August 21- Back from dealer today

Car was nearly 3 weeks in the shop due to backlog of repairs- I was warned in advance that it might take 2 weeks or more and accepted it that to get the proper fix. They ended up pulling the trans, and at the direction of higher-ups in Ford service, tore down to look for mechanical failure. No failures. Reassembled and replaced TCM. I just drove it home and all seems fine. Despite delays, my service rep kept me fully informed along the way. Seems with the number of such repairs, things get stacked up awaiting specialty tools to do the work. I didn't need a loaner so no heartache and as I said, the service advisor has always been top-notch. I think these guys get stuck in the middle sometimes between customers and corporate and do the best they can. If I have follow-on transmission performance issues I'll re-post again, but for now, fingers crossed that this is the fix.[thumb]

#17 ·
Ford is not stupid to send everyone a letter notifying about a recall on there cars one as it is I'm on a waiting list to bring my car in to get service while i am putting my family and my self in danger someone has to bring this up to the media so they can take action first was my Audio Control Module now this I'm so sick of ford.

#21 ·
I'm almost hesitant to take my 2012 focus in now to get this software update done >.< My car has had loss of transmission engagement, no start, and lack of power issues plus excessive noise <grinding> since I purchased the vehicle brand new. I've had it into the dealership 4 or 5 times in the first couple years and they were never able to resolve the issue but I'm sure it was well documented.

From what I understand, this update will actually MAKE THE VEHICLE NOT DRIVABLE in an attempt to keep it from destroying itself if it does detect a problem right? This is a daily highway vehicle for me, 100mile drive, in an area with no cell service... if this thing decides to DOA on the road I'm really screwed. I think I'll take my chances with it giving up the ghost sometime in the future which will likely be very predictable <but will inevitably cost more to repair> rather than having the computer take over and stop me in the middle of the mountains in BFE.

#22 ·
From what I understand, this update will actually MAKE THE VEHICLE NOT DRIVABLE in an attempt to keep it from destroying itself if it does detect a problem right?
I had not heard anything like that about the 15B22 TCM software update. To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the software update for the TCM is to provide improved fault recording/fault reporting for troubleshooting and improved fault indication for the operator.

It would seem unlikely that Ford, or any car maker, would make a change that would immobilize the car, if only because of the liability issues that could present.

#23 ·
Wouldn't surprise me at all tbh. One user on the first page had the update done while in for a brake job and then had his vehicle basically immobilized and had to be towed back to shop. Without knowing WHAT that TCM update does exactly I'm very hesitant to get it. Forcing "limp mode" on a vehicle is a known practice in the diesel industry, only a matter of time until it's coded into gasoline engines as well.

#26 ·
"Limp Home" modes are incorporated in most US vehicles specifically because of liability issues, and according to the 2012 Focus owners manual exist for both engine and transmission malfunctions.

Field Service Actions are voluntary, so there is no reason to get it if you don't want it. Just make it clear during any dealer visit that you do not want this done, as many dealers do outstanding FSAs automatically.

For myself, I tend to try not to be an "early adopter" when it comes to things like this, simply because there are often bugs to be worked out. Are the recent reports of issues post-15B22 indicative of that? Are the issues experienced caused by 15B22, were they existing problems identified by the update to the software in 15B22, or were they merely an unfortunate coincidence? There's not enough information here to say for certain either way.

I haven't received a letter from Ford yet for either of our cars, but I understand that this program will run until sometime in July, 2016. Since I have no reason to take either car to the dealer at the moment, and after having the clutch packs replaced on both last spring have had no transmission issues at all, I'm in no hurry.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus
#28 ·
Per Ford, it does not change the operability of the vehicle, it just gives you a warning when the TCM is not working optimally; before, you could have intermittent symptoms and never know it was the TCM's fault.

With the CEL, the codes would be stored, so no more dealers saying "We can't duplicate the issue." You will have proof that it's the TCM, not a bad ground or other issues.

#29 ·
I had the update done on my 2014 Focus and I really don't like it. It has changed so much on how the transmission worked before the update. I get more shuddering and shaking then what the car had before I had the update done along with the transmission jerks real hard during take off and it will throw you forward in your seat if your not ready for it. Also had to take it back to Ford because the update disabled the clock which Ford didn't know how to fix so after a few hours of screwing with it I was able to get the clock working right. So If I could I would like the update removed but I know I can't so I'll half to just live with it which it gonna really make me mad. So Ford in my opinion turned my DCT into a piece of crap. It was working beautiful with the new TCM and I go take it in and have this update put in and now my Focus sucks A##. Thanks Ford for making me unhappy with my Ford. I think I'll call Ford customer care and voice my dislike on this update.

#30 ·
I suspect more the the 15B22 update was applied when your car was serviced. I just had mine done and a software update to revise shift strategy was applied as well. I've noticed the same thing with more clutch chatter but have been told the software has to "relearn" the car's specific clutch touch points, etc. This process can take 100-500 miles, I guess.

I'm going to give Ford the provisional benefit of the doubt on this one. Major revisions were made to DCT workings for the 2015 model year and this could be applying some of those lessons to older models. The "adaptive" learning of the gearbox was one of the problems before, I think, and perhaps this will make things better. We'll see in a few hundred miles. I'd suggest confirming this with your dealer and giving it a little time, but like you I wanted a car but wound up with a project.

#32 ·
I bought my '14 Focus SE brand new in 09/14 (according to VIN is was built in 03/14). After driving it about 15,000 miles the transmission shaking/hesitation/slipping issues began. It only begins shaking after I've been driving it for minimum of 45 minutes, but it's very noticeable after that when in stop and go traffic, or at low speeds (under 10 mph). I've schedule an appointment with the dealer to get it looked at this Friday, so we'll see how they handle it. The 15B22 update is applicable to my VIN, so they might apply that too.

#34 ·
About a week ago, I noticed some slight stuttering at low speeds (4<x<12 mph), and some minor hesitancy in acceleration between 20-25mph. The hesitancy was more pronounced when I'm entering an on-ramp to get on the freeway. And today, I notice that there's an alert out for my VIN for this FSA. Issues at approximately 16.5k miles (brand new car with similar purchase and build date (I think) as NashFocus14).

I haven't received any Check Engine or other warning lights. I'm also not sure if my experience is related at all to what the FSA would address.

Timing is likely a coincidence, but I'm unsure on how to proceed based on feedback of the posts here.

EDIT: I saw the alert after I had logged into my Ford Owners account (nothing via USPS, so far).

Hi guys,

I'll be happy to look at some options from my end. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#33 ·
About a week ago, I noticed some slight stuttering at low speeds (4<x<12 mph), and some minor hesitancy in acceleration between 20-25mph. The hesitancy was more pronounced when I'm entering an on-ramp to get on the freeway. And today, I notice that there's an alert out for my VIN for this FSA. Issues at approximately 16.5k miles (brand new car with similar purchase and build date (I think) as NashFocus14).

I haven't received any Check Engine or other warning lights. I'm also not sure if my experience is related at all to what the FSA would address.

Timing is likely a coincidence, but I'm unsure on how to proceed based on feedback of the posts here.

EDIT: I saw the alert after I had logged into my Ford Owners account (nothing via USPS, so far).

#43 ·
I just had my '14 Focus SE in last Thursday and got the newest updates. The car came out running like the it did the first 12K miles and I thought we had a winner. Nope. Was great for 4 days, but on day 5, temperature shot back up to 90 (was in the low 80s) and the shudder came back. Seems worse to me too because instead of just being quick at 5-7mph and again at 15-17mph, it now has times where it starts at 5 and continues until it passes 20. I'm calling Ford again today...

#44 ·
I had my '14 Focus SE updated last week Aug.28. I also had the same issue with the clock that won't work even if I tried to change the date. I was about to go back to the dealership the following day when I tried again to change the clock. At first the problem was still there but after I tried to changed the date (and the system accepted it) then the clock started to work. So I did not bother to go back to the dealership. But it got stock again on Aug.30. I changed again the date and so far everything is ok.

That's for the clock/date. Now for the transmission issue. I feel like the shuddering is more frequent this time specially in a stop and go traffic. In highway (the shifting until I reach 60+mph), I noticed there's an increase in rpm before each shift. The service adviser told me that it needs to "re learn" again the shifting patterns and it might take another 1000 miles or so.

I also noticed that the fan speed, most of the time, is in high operation.

So far I'm not happy with this update. But I'll give it some time and observe. I hope Ford is taking notes on our experiences here.

#85 ·
I just want to share a follow up feedback after I had this TSB. Last 2 weeks ago I was so happy and car was operating smoothly. No jerking or shuddering. I replied to Meagan and shared the same info to her.

But just a day after that the car started to manifest the same jerking/shuddering condition as if it's starting on the "learning" phase again. Yesterday, it was really bad. Usually on a stop light/go and the car starts this jerking (noise like the clutch/gears not aligning properly), I normally slowly/lightly remove my foot on the pedal as I'm afraid it'll broke down if I force it more. But yesterday I really wanted to yank it hard but was just afraid.

I'm really confused, Ford always say that it needs to "learn". The car was already running smooth and I assumed that it has "learned" already. But why suddenly it goes back to this learning phase?

I'm gonna observe/monitor it more this week. If it's not going to improve then I'm going back to my dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.