Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Dreaded Can't fill gas tank problem

51K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Kateh 
#1 ·
Okay, I have a 2005 zx5. Owned it since new.

All of the sudden it takes 30 minutes to fill up because of fuel splash back on the pump nozzle turning pump off.

I have read many posts on the problem, but really don't see where anyone has found a solution.

1) Spider nests in vent tube.
- I have removed both the vent tube. No clogs

2) Some type of clog in fill tube.
- I have pulled the fill tube. First I tried running a siphon hose through. Hose would not go through, so I thought this might be the problem. After pulling the tube have declared it clear.

3) Pulled gas tank to check tank venting.
- Tube is clear to the charcoal/EVAP canister.
- Exit tube from EVAP Canister clear to Fuel Vent, up to Fuel Fill.

Apears the The Charcoal Canister/EVAP is the problem.

So, here's where I need help. The Charcoal Canister/EVAP is wedged above and between the rear end and the bottom of the vehicle body. How is this thing suppose to come out?

After looking at it for a few nights, I am thinking I will cut a huge hole in the floor panel by the spare tire and pull it out the top. Otherwise I think I need to drop the rear end - at least one side.

Anyone ever replace the Charcoal Canister/EVAP that can help me out here. Anyone have the Ford Service manual that can shoot me the directions for Removal/replacement?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

See less See more
#33 ·
The fuel tanks vent right at the filler neck, there is a separate tube running right next to the big one..........and yes I was rebuilding carbon canisters like that 30 years ago. You can actually reuse the charcoal that came out too by burning it then rinsing it off then heating to reactivate it.

That charcoal seems awful expensive, I was used to getting it for way less than that but it's been awhile.

#34 ·
At the MG Experience website that I subscribe to John Twist has a video on rebuilding the carbon canisters and he shows heating the carbon but I am hesitant to because of heat with fuel. For around 15.00 it gives me a piece of mind.The cost of a carbon canister assembly is around 250.00 the DYI guys can save some money. I was surprised to see the white brick that came out of the can when I emptied it.

#35 · (Edited)
Same as starting up a charcoal pile on a bar-b-que grill.......................you do it away from the house or other of course. Stop short of lighting the charcoal off, just burn the vapor off it. In fact, that charcoal will work too if busted up with a hammer and the dust strained off it.

#36 · (Edited)
Just did this. What a pain. Must lift the body off the subframe, 6 bolts and the shock bolts as well, and take the tank down too (at least on my model, 2007 SES ZX3 MTX). Check the vent solenod. It should be open unless 12 volts applied to it. It should fully close, if it does not it can cause mixture issues in the intake, long crank times before start, occasional misses, and then it contributes to the horrible click-offs at the pump.

I removed the canister and, using a paint scraper and a hammer I popped the flat plate off the end flange, revealing a strange capsule end, like the shell end of a pressure vessel, held on by a metal clip that was clipped on a protruding center post. I removed the clip using a small strong screwdriver to bend the tangs on it. With the clip off, I could pull the shell and dump out the charcoal pellets. About the size of donut sprinkles, smaller than I thought, but about 1-1/2 liters by my guess. I found that there was about a cup or two that had bonded together and crusted together, degrading into white powder near one of the hose connections, so I tapped the housing until it all fell out, along with the filters.

I cleaned the filters and rinsed the new aquarium charcoal pellets (about 3x the size pellets) then slid the filters back down into the top of the case and refilled the case adding a few cups of the old pellets since they were in good shape. I put the end shell back on with the clip, I probably should have silicone sealed it but it sealed up well when I epoxied the end cover plate and weighted it with a brake rotor all day and that sealed it up just fine.

Before I cleared the clog it was barely able to pass any air when blowing through it. Maybe 10%. After the rebuild it blows easily.

So with the new vent solenoid and this new canister it starts easily and I gassed it today, it took 12 gallons without a click-off at full stream - perfect. Not bad for $50 in materials and the valve from RockAuto.com. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would take it to a good mechanic and pay the $300 my daughter paid to fix hers. I've done major work on cars more often than I care to, including a clutch in my 95 SHO, and the head rebuild on my 91XR2, and this was almost right up there in the misery factor. Messy, and just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong except the spilled gallon of gas on the floor ignighting.. Or i'd be writing this from the ICU.

#37 ·
dreaded cant fill gas tank problem

I’m new here, so please forgive my ignorance.I’ve found that I can get a pretty good amount of gas in the tank of my 2005 Focus (270,000+ miles) by using a long nosed funnel and a 5 gallon plastic gas can — haven’t tried the funnel with a filling station hose, but will, very slowly.

My question: is this safe? Someone posted: “Apears [sic] the The Charcoal Canister/EVAP is the problem.”

I don’t have the faintest idea what the Charcoal Canister/EVAP does, but is it safe to bypass it with long-nose funnel or tubing?

Thanks

bartbrown

#38 ·
I’m new here, so please forgive my ignorance.I’ve found that I can get a pretty good amount of gas in the tank of my 2005 Focus (270,000+ miles) by using a long nosed funnel and a 5 gallon plastic gas can — haven’t tried the funnel with a filling station hose, but will, very slowly.

My question: is this safe? Someone posted: “Apears [sic] the The Charcoal Canister/EVAP is the problem.”

I don’t have the faintest idea what the Charcoal Canister/EVAP does, but is it safe to bypass it with long-nose funnel or tubing?

Thanks

bartbrown
Bartbrown,
The EVAP (evaporative emissions) system controls fuel 'vapors' from the fuel tank and fuel system of the vehicle so that they are not released into the atmosphere. When you fill any vessel with liquid you must allow for a way for the air in the vessel to escape. The EVAP system controls the amount of air that is allowed in/out of the fuel tank and if it has failed that can cause the filling difficulties discussed here. Your vehicle's issue may/may not be EVAP related. Bypassing/disabling any mandated emissions system - like EVAP - is generally illegal.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.