Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Installing 180 degree Thermostat
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Kent253
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 181473
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Sport 5Speed

Points 1,169, Level 18
Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Kent253 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Just got done installing mine this weekend while doing an oilchange and the rear motor mount swap also.

Here's my words of wisdom:

1. Pull positive battery cable and tether in a fashion so that it won't accidentally reconnect.

2. Note path orientation of alternator belt that goes over the front upper tensioner. Use a 13mm socket (not wrench, belt will hang up on a wrench, trust me) to release belt pressure on the upper tensioner, move alternator belt out of the way. Remove tensioner from the block with two 10mm bolts. At this point I pulled the under-engine tray to drape a plastic shopping bag over the alternator to protect it from the coolant that would be draining all over it.

3. Use needlenose pliers and these hose clamps are a cinch. Probably because of the extra room from Step 2. Place drip pan under alternator area and pull hoses with a twisting motion to get them moving. You'll lose about 2 qts of fluid.

4. Tuck hoses behind harnesses and whatever is handy and enjoy your new clear shot at the thermostat. The only semi-difficult bolt with this method is the one just behnd the alternator, but you can pull the lower alternator bolts, and loosen the nut on top to swing it out of the way for easy access here too. I did not pull any cables off the alternator. To get the inside upper thermostat bolt, you will need a semi-long 1/4" extension and short 8mm socket run along the edge of the intake manifold. Not difficult, just have to be careful not to drop the tool. Break the bolt loose and remove the bolt by turning the socket/extension by hand without the rachet, it goes much faster as space is limited.

Never had to remove the headlight.

Took me about 45 minutes over my standard oil change time(was in the air, bellypan pulled already) including 15 minutes of fumbling with the belt because I didn't have another set of hands around to hold things in place.

Have fun guys, it's not hard, just remember this is basically worthless unles syou have a tune that the fan calibration can be modified for.
You can do the same job without touching the belt/alternator/tensionner. Saves you a couple minutes...