Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - sway bar end links, clunk in front end
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2016 Frozen White RS

Points 1,841, Level 25
Points: 1,841, Level: 25 Points: 1,841, Level: 25 Points: 1,841, Level: 25
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
sway bar end links, clunk in front end

Recently I did a pretty big project to the focus, mostly under the hood, the only suspension mod I made at the time was a pair of massive speed sway bar end links. Mind you before I did anything I had no noise, I replaced the cv axles and set the new end links to the same length as the stock ones and now I am getting a clunk noise from the front when I turn, I don't believe it is the cv axles because it doesn't click when I turn and it is usually only 1 clunk when I start the turn and it also seems to do it more easily when I'm coming up the curb at an angle at my house or when the car is loaded side to side in a turn which makes me think the end links, especially since that is the only thing I replaced. I have since then jacked it up and shook everything down and I don't have any play anywhere.

My next step is to remove the endlinks and drive it around my neighborhood and back up and down the curb at an angle while turning to see if the clunk stops, if it does then I'd have to say it's definitely the endlinks.

I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem? And if it is the endlinks is it just a defective one from massive? Or do I just have an improper length set? How do I determine what the proper length should be for the endlinks? Mine is lowered about 3" so is it possible that they are too short? Or not short enough? I wouldn't think they aren't short enough because they are almost as short as they can go now.

'90 Nissan 240SX Hatch