Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 14M01 Ford Dual Clutch Warranty Extension Details and New TSB Clutch Parts!
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #48
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 5,886, Level 49
Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sship View Post
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?
My point was this:

When the shaft seal leaks, all bets are off so any details about the clutch assembly become irrelevant.

A "rev. D" clutch assembly can be contaminated by oil just as the older ones can.