Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #65
Grayghost
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166242
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE

Points 13, Level 1
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Grayghost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
“Green” clutch break-in period
New, replacement, and reset clutches are “green” and require a break-in period before shift event quality
is maximized. During the break-in period, green clutches may exhibit:
 A rattle noise similar to a loose catalytic converter shield. This noise is commonly heard
after light throttle 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4 upshifts. This rattle noise will diminish greatly as the
clutch completes the break-in process.
 A take-off shudder/launch judder (shaky vs. smooth) on light loads.
 A harsh-shift feel during the first few cold shifts before the transmission reaches
operating temperature.
All of the above conditions will diminish and the customer will notice progressively better launch and
smoother shifting within the first few hundred miles of mixed driving as clutch break-in occurs.
Note: The break-in process may take longer for highway driving, where the clutch is not shifting. The
transmission will automatically learn and make adaptations during shifting events, so it is important to
evaluate after allowing sufficient driving time for adaptations to occur.
This green clutch feel may reappear if the clutch touch points are reset and/or the clutch is removed
and/or replaced. The condition may last longer for a clutch replacement than a reset. A reset may take
up to 100 miles to get the new touch points learned to the point of not making any out-of-adjustment
noise. A clutch replacement may take as much as 1000 miles or more to reach break-in depending on
the customer style of driving.
So why is it that when I put my car in reverse it bucks like a bronco? Still have some shuddering going on...the jury is still out on this one!