Originally Posted by slybarman
Really interesting video. Thank you for making and posting. I interpreted that the gist of the problem, as you see it then, was a design defect in the original black seals. A few quick questions if I may:
1) have you ever had a car with the brown seals come back in again with a shudder and/or leak? If so, why?
2) there have been at least some accounts of shuddering issues in 2014 model year cars which presumably would have had the brown seals already. How might you account for those?
Software issues, imperfect clutches design.
3) what changes did ford make to the clutch packs between revisions a and e? I believe e is still the latest, correct?
I have only seen D as the latest for fiesta and focus. They don't get into the details of how they fix the clutch. It is an over complicated designed dual clutch setup with many areas for failure and noise issues.
4) if further refinements to the seals or clutch pack were in the works by ford, would you have necessarily heard about it or do they just find their way into parts stream when ready.
When ready they put them out, but as stated the seals haven't changed color not part number since aug indicating it is a good known fix.
5) you stated that you believe all of the black seals will eventually fail if they have not already, why wouldn't Ford initiate a recall?
IDK it is up to them and the NTHSA to recall them on a safety concern.