Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
makuloco2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34231
What I Drive: 01' Focus LX

Points 6,840, Level 54
Points: 6,840, Level: 54 Points: 6,840, Level: 54 Points: 6,840, Level: 54
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 makuloco2000 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Really interesting video. Thank you for making and posting. I interpreted that the gist of the problem, as you see it then, was a design defect in the original black seals. A few quick questions if I may:
1) have you ever had a car with the brown seals come back in again with a shudder and/or leak? If so, why?

Never

2) there have been at least some accounts of shuddering issues in 2014 model year cars which presumably would have had the brown seals already. How might you account for those?

Software issues, imperfect clutches design.

3) what changes did ford make to the clutch packs between revisions a and e? I believe e is still the latest, correct?

I have only seen D as the latest for fiesta and focus. They don't get into the details of how they fix the clutch. It is an over complicated designed dual clutch setup with many areas for failure and noise issues.

4) if further refinements to the seals or clutch pack were in the works by ford, would you have necessarily heard about it or do they just find their way into parts stream when ready.

When ready they put them out, but as stated the seals haven't changed color not part number since aug indicating it is a good known fix.

5) you stated that you believe all of the black seals will eventually fail if they have not already, why wouldn't Ford initiate a recall?

IDK it is up to them and the NTHSA to recall them on a safety concern.