Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101

447K views 1K replies 216 participants last post by  RedFocusSEGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did my first oil change on the 2012 Focus. Thought I'd help those who haven't done it yet.

What you'll need: 15mm wrench, T30 torx, 1.25 gallons of 5W-20 Oil, Oil Filter ( FL-910S )

Raise the car. I used a floor jack at the front driver jack point (see manual), then braced with a jack stand to prevent getting killed. I think ramps would be easier.

Remove the felt panel by removing the 8 torx bolts. If you remove the bolt shown at the red arrow last (front center of car), the panel will stay up nicely. Supported by the notches shown with the yellow arrows.
Don't bother considering cutting a hole in the felt panel to get access to the oil filter. You'll need to remove the panel to get to the drain plug anyway. It comes off easy enough.

Change the oil filter and drain the oil. I didn't need an oil filter wrench because the oil filter is VERY accessible and could grab it with two hands. When replacing the filter, wet the rubber gasket on the new filter with oil, wipe away any dirt on the gasket surface of the engine and screw the new filter in until it touches the gasket surface. THEN screw by hand 3/4 of a turn more. Don't forget to put the drain plug back in (20 ft/lbs per Ford shop manual - Oil pan drain plug/Part# 6730/ Torque 27 Nm (20 lb-ft)).

Put 4 quarts of oil in, start the engine and check for leaks. Do this before lowering the car. 4 quarts will fill it enough to measure halfway between the two holes on the dipstick. If you want to avoid some of the start-up clatter, crank the engine for a few seconds with the accelerator floored. Gas is shut off when you do this but the oil pump should fill the filter. After making sure you have no leaks, replace the felt panel, lower the car and top off the oil. Mine took exactly 4.5 quarts to reach the top of the hash marks on the dipstick.

Resetting the oil life monitoring system
1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.
For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP
button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt
to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.
3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be
displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be
displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be
displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position.
For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to
turn the vehicle off completely.

As of 2/20/2012...
5qts. Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend - 21.99
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_5W-20-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-Motorcraft_8030012-P_N3291M_T|GRP2046_____
18.33 at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcraft-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-5W20-5qt/16940217

5qts. Mobil1 5W-20 Synthetic - 36.99
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_5W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-%285-Plus-Quarts-Jug%29-Mobil1_10069913-P_N4019G_T|GRP2046_____

FL-910S oil filter - 3.97 at Walmart

See less See more
#462 ·
I run royal purple full syn 5w20 and that's not the only brand who makes a full syn 5w20 O'Reilly has them (I work there)

Sent from my iPhone using The hoKID network

#469 ·
hey all. i'm going to attempt my 1st ever oil change on a car myself today. not going to have anyone to help me so... I was a bit concerned about what he said in the instructions
" If you want to avoid some of the start-up clatter, crank the engine for a few seconds with the accelerator floored. Gas is shut off when you do this but the oil pump should fill the filter."
what does he mean by crank the engine a few seconds? it won't start the way it normally does? and when exactly do I floor the gas? I'm afraid the car will fly off the stands and wreck the house lol.

also I didn't see instructions for the drain plug. i see the red arrow but what am I supposed to do with it?

also is a torque wrench enough or do I need that 15mm wrench he's using?

thanks

#470 ·
You will need a 15mm wrench to remove the drain plug. Wait until all the oil has drained out and then screw it back in. A torque wrench is optional but recommended for reinstalling the drain plug. Torque to 20 foot pounds. If you don't have a torque wrench, be careful not to overtighten the drain plug. The oil sump is aluminum and can strip out.

The best way to avoid the clatter is to preload the new oil filter with oil before you spin it on. Just insert a funnel in the new filter and slowly add oil until it soaks it all up.

#476 ·
You don't need a funnel to prime an oil filter. Just pour the oil in from the oil bottle. However, to do this correctly, the oil must be poured into the holes that are on the outside perimeter of the oil filter, as that is where the oil goes into the oil filter. The single, large central hole is where the oil comes out of the oil filter.

The Ford recommended torque specifications for the oil pan drain plug for your 2013 Focus are -

TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....21 ft/lbs
Manual Transmission MTX75
Fill Plug 26 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 26 ft/lbs

#472 ·
To help alleviate dry-start engine starts after doing an oil change, use a high quality synthetic oil as it clings to engine parts much better to help avoid this wear and tear.

One thing many neglect is to wear rubber gloves when doing an oil change. These are sold at most any auto parts store. Used motor oil is the most toxic substance in an auto center next to sulfuric acid in automotive batteries. Used motor oil has various acids, heavy metals, unburned hydrocarbons in it, etc. and is carcinogenic. Spare yourself from getting cancer years down the road and use rubber gloves to protect your skin.

When draining the oil from the engine, give it at least an hour to all drain out. The fifteen minute quickey oil changes just don't do the trick. Up to an additional half a quart + of old, dirty oil can be drained out of an engine by letting it drain for at least an hour. No benefit in contaminating new oil with old dirty oil.

#474 ·
It's not necessary to take the wheels off to perform an oil change.

If you need to do that for some other reason, any auto parts store, or hardware store can provide you with the proper size socket. They could even let you trial fit the socket to make sure it's the correct size and then you can buy it.

#475 ·
nevermind the last post - was for something else i'm trying to do (plastidip wheels). I looked online and someone said 19mm or 3/4 inch socket. now the trick is finding one sold individually in store!

#477 ·
Advance Auto Parts or Autozone both sell individual sockets, (cheap made in China "quality", though). So does Sears with their made in U.S.A quality Craftsmen tools. For a heavy duty application like for removing lug nuts, a black air gun socket as opposed to a chrome socket that can have the chrome crack and come off, will be a better choice.

Any time you remove aluminum wheels from your car, the lug nuts will loosen and they must be re-torqued/re-tightened in 50 miles or less. When re-torquing the lug nuts, with a four stud wheel you tighten them in a number four pattern, just as if you're writing the number four. With a five lug nut wheel, you tighten them in a star pattern, again just as if you're drawing a star. Otherwise the lug nuts can become loose and allow the wheel to fly off, which would rather ruin you day. lol [:)]

#484 · (Edited)
I have a big pan so I take the drain plug out and let it drain while doing the filter to get all the old stuff out. Just remember to fill the filter with new oil little and big holes, also rub clean oil on o-ring and make sure old o-ring came off with old filter or you will have a oily engine. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#489 ·
thanks.

They should have designed the factory carpet thing with access holes it would save you a pain trying to get it back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've found it to be really easy to remove and replace the felt underneath. It was felt clips that slide into place and the whole thing will stay put without any screws really

do most recommend a skid plate after getting lowered? I'm on sportlines and unless i'm careful it does scrape sometimes

#504 ·
I got my first oil change a little south of 3k miles, mainly b/c my sales guy told me to bring it in 3 months after I got the car and that the oil change would be on them. It actually wasn't a bad idea since the car was built in 08/12 and I got the oil changed in 08/13 (bought the car 05/13).

I just got the second oil change at 7500 miles, plus a tire rotation. When I got my car, I bought a VCP Agreement from AutoNation for $195, which covers oil changes & tire rotations for 3 years/36k miles. I plan on doing the 7500 mile service intervals from here on out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.