Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Leaking seal Variable Cam Timing (VCT) solenoid (Oil leak)
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosylf View Post
Wanted to go for a nice Easter ride with the girlfriend, decided to check oil on new Focus (2400 mi.). Raised hood and see puddles of oil on valve cover! Good thing I checked oil before 135 mi. trip to girl's house. So I know it happened recently. Blown rubber seal on part you've circled on pic, front vct soleniod. Just got car back from dealer, today. They cleaned up engine, but felt-like heat shield on hood still soaked in oil. I also didn't like the use of rtv type sealant on valve cover re-install. Wonder how much of that is floating around in my engine oil now! They also charged me for an oil change, I insisted on because, I felt my closed oil system had been breeched and contaminated. What the heck Ford! I picked you over imports doing the right thing and standing by you. Don't have a good feeling about this!!!!!!!!!!! Gees It's stylish though.
Is the RTV all the way around the valve cover?....or is it in a location where the valve cover gasket has to bridge a seam (such as where a front cover meets the engine block?). If its where there is a seam that the valve cover gasket sits on, then it is completely normal for there to be a small touch of RTV at that location only.....which is the same as it has been done for decades. Some engines have the entire front cover sealed with RTV from the factory, same with oil pans, etc. Any competent technician can do the repair with zero worries of contamination in your engine