Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - winter tires
Thread: winter tires
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 07:44 AM   #5
MyNavyZX3

Fan#: 1132
FF Reputation: 1 MyNavyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just threw on my steelies with some bridgestone blizzaks (185/70/R14). it's really the only way to go for several reasons. You have to pay something like $50 to get the snow tires mounted to your rims, then another 50 to get the summer tires remounted. So in two seasons the steelies are paid for. Also, 225/45/17 is going to be an expensive snow tire compared to a little 14incher. In snow or slush (which is what you'll see lots in hamilton) I have my doubts that a 225 snow tire is going to cut through the slush - I'd guess you'd just sorta aquaplane rather than cut through it. When you think about it - our explorer weighs about twice as much (I'm guessing here) and is running on P235's. Last thing you might want to consider is the fact that mounting and remounting tires on is both hard on the wheel and hard on the tires - can screw up the bead, thereby wrecking the seal the tire makes around the wheel. I also wouldn't be all that worried about salt wrecking the wheels but sliding into a curb will give the SVT wheels a nice curb rash.