Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Ford DPS6 (Powershift Transmission) DIY RESET
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
rczrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 935, Level 16
Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
When I reset, jerkiness goes away for quite a long time. 5 months for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
That's it. Works for me and is more convenient that doing a stop and go scrub. Good luck
That's interesting, but:
  1. The process you documented is simply for putting the transmission back into "learn" mode. Unless your 5 months of driving is only 200 miles or something, I am extremely surprised this in any way fixed software issues long-term. Because it shouldn't. At all.
  2. Your procedure is software; the scrub is hardware. They accomplish very different things, and doing one does not really affect the other.

Thanks for documenting the manual reset procedure, but I'm going to need feedback from several other users with long-term data before I think that this was anything but a placebo for you.

The reset certainly does something: it (temporarily) goes back to being dumb, which ironically means better performance and less wear on the clutches while it tries to figure out the optimum shift points for a slushbox-like feel and improved fuel economy.