Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - who is gladthey got rid of a dct POS
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #39
rczrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 1,012, Level 17
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
One drive in one of the 1st ones back in '11 is all it took for me, yea I did drive a few others btw......I'd think ppl would do a test drive & wonder why is shifts the way it does. I wouldn't care what others say, this being a mass produced product for the pubic that wants a reliable vehicle, Why would anyone driving this, think thats the way it is?
There are reliable DCTs (as reliable as they can be, we all know they have drawbacks), but they're primarily wet. DCTs feel different. Different isn't necessarily bad.

Furthermore, I knew it was a dry DCT back when I bought the car. I had never owned a non-manual prior to the Focus, thought of course I had driven a variety of cars with traditional autos, as well as a CVT or two. The DPS6 most certainly did not feel especially odd, knowing what it was. Most anyone will tell you that a fresh clutch pack and learning reset leaves the DPS6 feeling pretty smooth; that's how it felt new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
Iím trying to think back to 2014, when I bought mine. Iím not sure why I didnít pick up on it, during my test drive? Maybe I was just excited because it was new & I liked how it looked? Maybe I was just stupid? In any case, sometimes the DCT isnít so noticeable with a short drive around the block & back, however the more you drive them, especially in stop & go traffic & on surface streets, the more jerky it becomes. Oh well.... lesson learned. Shouldíve bought the ST1, which at that time was very close in price.
That's because a new DPS6 - whether in a new car or with a new clutch pack and learning reset - drives very well. Of course, during this time it's riding the clutch and revving a bit higher; shifts are less aggressive and the computer isn't trying to be as smart (which leads to worse fuel economy and more wear on the clutch plates).

In hindsight, the only mistake the average consumer made in purchasing a Focus or Fiesta with the DPS6 was believing in and trusting Ford. Maybe we should always assume a company is trying to screw us over when they come up with any (supposed) improvement in technology, but that's not how the average person is wired. We assume we aren't being lied to. At the very least, we assume that a company will eventually get caught if they're lying, and that it's in their best interests not to screw us over (thereby avoiding lawsuits, bad press, and generating brand loyalty).

Anyone who claims the average person should have simply known the DPS6 was going to be trouble is a condescending asshat who can't look outside of their own narrow perspective.