Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Keep or sell Focus SE with DCT
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
SupraGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Step 1, take it to the dealer. It may be elligible/need 14M01 done, and since it's a 2012, it will be close to the limit for the 7 years. (Might already be done. Mine still qualified in March.) Also have them check the fuel tank/purge valve. Get whatever service you can get from them.

The cheapest car to own is pretty much always the car you own.

I always worry when I see an older car with really low miles. The same way the tires rot, many of the engine and transmission seals will rot, too. In the case of the transmission, that's a big problem, which these are known to have already. If you can get the seals done under warranty, so much the better. It may still be possible, but may need a call to Ford customer service to get the extension on the seal warranty.

If you are planning on a large increase in the duty of the car, this is a likely place for problems to pop up. This can be a good thing to be aware of if you are planning on selling it to friends or family, too. Sometimes people are not so understanding of the car that they just bought having been a garage queen, and suddenly it's a daily driver with problems.

In the end, if you sock away some dollars for the manual transmission swap, and can do the work, or have it done reasonably, you SHOULD be able to get the time to put the cash away to get it done while keeping the DCT in the meantime. It depends though on just how much do you need the car to be reliable. If you can't be without it for more than a couple of days (During which you would need a taxi, and/or rental) then you might want ot start gathering parts, rather than just the money, but really, it's probably not that much more to buy another car which would be serviceable, probably less if you're paying someone else to do the swap.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...