Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Keep or sell Focus SE with DCT
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
IrishBrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 688, Level 13
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2012 and I like it except for the DCT. My daughter has the same car in a 5-speed MT so I have a direct comparison. Hers is much more enjoyable to drive. I know there's a chance Ford will be forced to do something for DCT owners even those of us with high mileage and outside the extended 14M01 limits. That said, I am not confident that they will do anything that is a long lasting fix and it will continue to be a pain and reliability is compromised.

So, I'm seriously leaning towards the swap and I'm beginning to source some used parts to do the job myself. I've found what looks to be a suitable junkyard car that is local and has all the MT stuff still on it so I should be able to do it pretty inexpensively and I will use new parts where it makes sense (clutch, seals, CV axles). This being the case, I can do it for under a grand which is doable. I've seen the guides and nothing scares me about the job itself. I'm already running Tom's tune for the DCT so it makes sense for me to just keep the PCM and automatic wiring harness and I can avoid having to tow it to a dealer to do any reprogramming.