Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Manual Transmission Swap
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
14_Slocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414683
What I Drive: Ingot Silver MK3 Focus

Points 18, Level 1
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 14_Slocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14_Slocus View Post
I personally got new axle seals only because the trans has 70k miles and they were inexpensive so might as well do it now to be safe. You are correct though about the master cylinder being apart of the clutch pedal assembly.
I just got a bit further in the video playlist and I saw that the main engine wiring harness had to be replaced because there is a different version for the MT. This wasn't included in the part list but it is another significant cost as they run over $200. I also saw that there seemed to be a possible issue with the AC and I have't gotten far enough in the playlist to see if he got that worked out.

Does the original PCM work with the swap? I'm assuming that it does and just needs to be programmed for the MT option. I'm curious as to whether the information displays work as normal for a MT when this is done. On my daughter's 5-speed, the area where the PRNDS is displayed instead has a shift indicator that "assists" you in timing upshifts. Totally unnecessary as you can just go by the tach or perceived engine speed.
Correct, automatic PCM & harness can be used but for it to be able to start, you have to ground a wire coming from the Transmission Range Sensor that tells the PCM whether the vehicle is in Park/Neutral. Later in the series, he actually puts the automatic harness back and grounds that wire. You will have a rpm limiter and a christmas tree on the dash but it'll work nonetheless, this can all be fixed with a tune and messing around in FoCCCus software though.

Edit: Here's the wiring diagram for starting system and TCM, hopefully it may help clear up confusion or help someone with their swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Manual Transmission Swap-20190807_120317_1565195466432.jpg  

Manual Transmission Swap-20190807_123214_1565195625483.jpg  

Last edited by 14_Slocus; 08-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.