Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 focus a/c compressor replacement.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,171, Level 64
Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64 Points: 9,171, Level: 64
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That last post fault could have been too much oil, either in total or just all in one spot to hydrolock a compressor to excess wear at startup, say it dislocated the seal there. Or seal not properly installed to begin with. The reason quick repeat fails happen is not paying attention to detail (by somebody, not necessarily the last installer, the rebuilder can do it too). What I meant by nothing wrong with the a/c was that Ford cars and Focus have no peculiar built in issues like design flaws or such. The problem is the persons doing the work and I saw it hundreds of times when I sold a/c parts, they just don't want to go to the detail it takes to make the new repair last. I for one have no trouble at all but then I am obsessive/compulsive about car work and can tolerate no fails at all.

Point to whit.........I have no clue what the restriction is in a late Focus a/c but if an orifice like the early ones you MUST remove it (expansion valve too if that type) or your air compressor pressures will not sweep the evaporator virtually at all, you think you are flushing but not doing squat there. As well, some of the condensers have such an internal fin structure the OEM will hard advise to change them as the fins trap trash that never comes out until run long term in use, the flushing does not touch them as far as opening them up. Dunno if this model is one, I'd be checking on that. I HAVE reused parts like that but should not recommend doing it to others, I have my ways of guaranteeing a complete clean there. Not a clue what 'Dura II' is but likely a flushing agent, I use acetone. A SERIOUS fire hazard there at first use of air blasting it out but I plan for that. The acetone leaves zero residue behind.

The amount of PAG oil used cannot be overstated, you get enough and no issues but putting in too much to guarantee there is enough takes up severely needed refrigerant space and not much refrigerant missing can have a big impact on cooling. I believe most systems can be a wee bit short on oil but past a little bit the systems then quickly move toward tearing up too quick and why the exact amount is so important. I fill the compressor and then flop it every which way to make sure oil hits all parts, not doing that can wear at startup to then fail the compressor way early. You hand turn the compressor as well to work out any possible hydrolock if too much oil say is all in one place. I will do that several times once compressor is mounted to car. Have lines bolted to it or you immediately pump oil out to then again not know how much total oil is in the system and where most mistakes happen. I NEVER add oil in the refrigerant, you lose track of how much oil again is in the system.

No insult intended at all toward OP, just do not know his skills and what I found when I was in parts. Just working the numbers as they usually fall. Hoping that is not a variable displacement compressor, I have no knowledge of those and have to wait until one falls into my hands, I will work that out then like I do with all other unknown things. They are only unknown until you know them.

Last edited by amc49; 06-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.