Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Engine Vibration at Idle
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,321, Level 64
Points: 9,321, Level: 64 Points: 9,321, Level: 64 Points: 9,321, Level: 64
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The PSM (pass side mount) is the one that causes the most vibration at idle although the other two can contribute. They all collapse with time but the workings inside often are the issue, they can break in several ways and why aftermarket ones totally suck mainly on the PSM. Some come pre-broke (I know) to not work at all out of the box. Others break in a month or 6 months. They are supposed to be loaded with true silicon fluid but the Chinese ones (almost all aftermarket, one site makes almost all brands made) often use what appears to be straight water and will rust inside in a short amount of time to not work correctly inside.

The earlier unrestrained type and the restrained type like picced here all work like a battering ram inside, the mount has a solid mounted plate inside that the working part on engine continuously batters against to limit the polar moment that creates the vibration, at some point they all get loose inside from all the beating and then parts start breaking loose. The early ones would literally beat the top cover and plate completely out to have them then run through your belt to tear it up. Why the later ones are restrained at the top.

I for one HATE Ford parts prices but until they quit making them the PSM there needs to be bought from Ford only, it cannot be overstated.

Last edited by amc49; 05-15-2019 at 12:55 AM.