Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Engine Vibration at Idle
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
IrishBrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 683, Level 13
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlars View Post
Since I bought my 2014 SE Hatchback about 9 months ago it has had quite a vibration/shake at idle. It has 63K on it. The motor mount on the right side almost looks new but I can't see the transmission mounts. The tack is very steady at 750. It almost feels more like a balance problem but I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich
My passenger side mount looked fine but when I pressed the top of it with my thumb, oil spewed out so I replaced that along with the other two mounts. The lower transmission mount is easily accessible with the car jacked up. It may help to have a little pressure on the transmission with another jack to get things aligned for installation.

The driver's side mount is a bit more work to get to but not really bad. You have to jack up the car enough to get a jack and a block of wood under the tranny. Place the jack a bit front of center of the tranny. If you get it position too far rearward, it will push the engine forward making it hard to realign the bolt holes during reinstallation.

Next, remove the MAF sensor wire and the airbox (all comes out as one unit without removing the filter after unscrewing the hose clamp and removing the two small hoses attached to it). Then you unclip the positive battery terminal cable connectors from the battery box (pry them off) and remove the front panel of the battery box (lift up). Remove both battery cables and take the battery clamp and battery out so you can remove the three screws holding the battery box in place. Then you'll see the driver's side mount underneath the bracket/cover that the battery box was screwed into. There are four bolts around the perimeter of the mount and one in the center. Just make sure you have some upward pressure on the tranny before you unbolt it and remove the jack before doing the final torquing of the bolts when replacing it.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 05-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.