Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Idle and Stalling issues
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
nayman898
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 349641
What I Drive: 2004 Red Focus SVT

Points 644, Level 12
Points: 644, Level: 12 Points: 644, Level: 12 Points: 644, Level: 12
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 1 nayman898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Idle and Stalling issues

Hello,

I have been having some weird idle issues lately after I replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner. I also recently replaced my Oil pan as the old one was rusted and leaking.

Essentially the car is not consistent at idle, especially on cold start, it will wobble a little and starta round 1200-1300 cold, and then randomly dip down about 100rpm until it eventually balances out at around 830ish. Once it balances lower, it becomes super inconsistent, ranging between 800-850 and occasionally the engine will shake the whole car. The issue that reeeally threw me off was randomly (Only happened twice, I have seen no cadence) when I come to a stop light and go into neutral, the car is fine until I stop entirely. Once I am stopped completely the car sputters and the engine seems kinda almost cuts out, down to like 200rpm then kicks back up to 800, does that until I rev a little, then it balances. While that is happening the only lights that turn on on the dash is the Battery light.

I have replaced the coil pack and spark plug wires, I plan on getting spark plugs soon. My alternator is going to be rebuilt this week.

I have not yet replaced any timing parts since I got the car, but they are on the way (along with an underdrive pulley), I don't know if that's what could be causing it, or if it's something else, I am really not sure. I have replaced the PCV, and I have had issues with the VCT solenoid in the past (was leaking a little oil and wasn't seating correctly) so I am not really sure what is happening.

When the car is going, it runs fine. The issue only seems to be at idle, I get no bogging down or performance issues otherwise.