Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Transmission pull
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
IrishBrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 856, Level 15
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall1960 View Post
My 2012 Ford Focus SE shifts fine when itís cold. After about 20 minutes of driving it starts the shuddering. Could it be something getting hot and then failing or could it be the dual clutch
I would say it is the DCT. However, what is unknown is exactly what is causing the shuddering. The transmission seals are known to have issues and can allow oil to leak from the wet to the dry part of the transmission which contaminates the clutch and causes slipping. However, this is not the only issue with the DCT. For some reason, the shifting can get out of whack due to something that goes wrong with the adaptive learning process. If there doesn't appear to be any oil leaking into your bell housing area, it is more likely this type of issue. To remedy this, you can go through a clutch relearning process which can either be done at the dealer ($$) or using a cheap scan tool and the Forscan software. I'm actually due to do this again myself.