Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2005 2.0 Exhaust manifold / cat removal.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 AM   #15
Marde
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 14,911, Level 79
Points: 14,911, Level: 79 Points: 14,911, Level: 79 Points: 14,911, Level: 79
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 49 Marde Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfool View Post
We have a 2005 ZX4 SES 2.0 Duratec with a broken flex pipe. It has a mani-cat with the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, and flex all 1 piece. I have everything disconnect and the assembly is loose but I can't figure out how to pull it up and out from under the hood. Doesn't seem like there is enough room/clearance. I have not removed AC lines or heater hoses. Do I need to remove motor mounts to loose/move the motor to make room to pull this up and out? What am I missing?

ANSWER: I set out this morning and removed both driver and passenger side upper motor mounts. That gave me just enough movement. I let the manifold lower back towards the firewall and then I was able to pull the manifold heat shield off. Once that was out of the way the mani-cat lifted right out.
Thank you for sharing your method, to remove the mani-cat out thru the top side.

I would caution all others to remember "engine weight support" while these two top engine mounts are removed (the lower engine mount also? -aka dogbone) AND while you move & shift the engine forward to gain space to lift the exhaust manifold (main-cat) out from the car at the firewall side.

This makes me wonder if I can use your method in my 2004 2.3 PZEV if I ever need this mani-cat replacement.

Great to see a first time poster with helpful advice. Thank you.