Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - IMRC Flaps won't stay closed during vehicle operation
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
[email protected]
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 338626
What I Drive: 2010 Red Focus SEL

Points 133, Level 2
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 72%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%
FF Reputation: 1 mscotese@aol.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
IMRC Flaps won't stay closed during vehicle operation

2010 Focus Auto Trans 230,000 miles.

Does anyone know the IRMC control logic and specifically the components that contribute to the ECU providing the ground signal to the vacuum solenoid.

I have no CEL or stored codes but I can tell by opening the hood and looking that my IMRC Flaps are open almost all the time when they should not be. I even put my Go Pro under the hood to watch the actuator during driving.

When I start the car cold the actuator cycles from open to closed to open then back to closed after a few seconds just like it should. After I drive the car about one mile the IMRC flaps go back to open where they stay until I shut the car off and then they cycle again like they should during shut down. If I restart the hot car the actuator cycles from open to closed to open like it should but then instead of going closed again they just stay open.

So on a cold start the flaps function normally until the engine warms slightly. On a warm start the flaps fail open immediately after the start up flap actuator cycle test.

At any time after the flaps have failed open, if I provide an external ground to the vacuum solenoid the flaps close and stay closed as long as I provide the external ground, even while driving the car at various speeds, over bumps, cold and hot.

For some reason the ECU is removing the ground signal from the vacuum solenoid as the engine warms up.

Does anyone know the IRMC control logic and specifically the components that contribute to the ECU providing the ground signal to the vacuum solenoid.

Again, I have no diagnostic codes and the vehicle performs OK except I am getting 3-5 fewer mpgs than I used to. In fact I just passed emission testing with the system malfunctioning as described, on Friday.

The online wiring diagram I found does not show me how that ground signal makes its way to the vacuum solenoid.

Once again, Does anyone know the IRMC control logic and specifically the components that contribute to the ECU providing the ground signal to the vacuum solenoid.

Thanks, Mike