Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sync 3 not connecting to iOS when cold.

528 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Aphelion27 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice on an issue. 2018 Focus SEL no Nav. When cold unable to connect Apple device to sync 3. Also the Bluetooth will show connected but no audio passes through. 2 visit to dealer without resolution. 1) couldn’t reproduce 2) unsure if could reproduce, they updated the firmware ( to same build that was there before) and called it fixed. Spoke with service manager and they don’t have any idea. Once car is warmed up and then system is reset it will sometimes work. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I can't see any reason why "cold" should have anything to do with the audio system. You say that it will "sometimes" work once the car is warmed up. what does this "sometimes" mean?

If the dealer can't replicate it, does that mean that it almost always works once the car is warmed up, but once in a while still does not? It seems to me that if the dealer is unable to replicate the problem, it must not be very consistent.

Next, have you tried it with other iOS devices? Have you tried your iOS devices with other sync systems? The dealer would probably let you sit in a demo car, pair your phone and test the bluetooth, or connect hte USB and give it a try.

Temperature dependency almost implies a physical problem. Maybe with the USB port, or even a cable (Have you tried different cables?) When you say "warmed up" does that mean engine operating temperature, or inside cabin temperature? How cold is it where you are?

#3 ·
It is always when cold. So far, first start in AM when <48F. If above 54F the connection is fine. Those are the temps I have been able to validate.
I agree it seems a physical issue.
Multiple iOS devices. Multiple generations of devices. Multiple cables (most are “warm”)

The dealer not being able to reproduce is because they put it in the garage or start the car and warm up before testing.

They tell me they can’t reproduce even though I have demonstrated the failure to the service adviser.

#4 ·
okay, that helps eliminate a bunch of things.

Okay, so if they have it in the garage first, I'd guess that interior temperature more than engine temperature is the important factor. 48°F is still kind of warm, but definitely not a temperature that you want to just sit in.

The dealership warming up the car to replicate a "cold" problem is idiotic. Seriously.

Do your iOS devices report a connection to the USB and charge when connected? Do the cables seem overly tight or loose when plugging them in? Physical connection points should be checked first, I'd say.

Given that you also list bluetooth problems though, I'd want to look at the connection from the APIM to the media hub and Sync module. I think that the problem is almost certainly in that wiring harness somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.