Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Opinions on MT?
Thread: Opinions on MT?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #30
Minizuk05
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408199
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Minizuk05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlManCity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minizuk05 View Post
I’ve got a 2012 SE with the 5 speed manual. I bought it used with 85k on it and at 100k the clutch Grenaded on the freeway from a 5th to 4th shift. The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option. Generally aftermarket manufacturers will produce a single mass flywheel and clutch assembly, but nobody does for these cars
Hmm...that's interesting, good to know. I'm hoping though performing the actual clutch replacement is still pretty much standard, the same as on any other small car? I'd hate to think Ford going all proprietary on things like that. Though I guess they are if only they produce the parts. You got yours at quite high mileage also, hope overall it's been a good car for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minizuk05 View Post
The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option.
How long ago was that? I see a number of aftermarket clutch kits available.
About a year ago roughly. At the time I called all of the auto parts stores, I called a transmission shop that a buddy owns to have him check for parts and nobody showed part numbers for any of the major aftermarket manufactures for a 2.0 se 5 speed. At the time I could find aftermarket parts for the ST cars and the RS cars. I haven’t checked in a while because the current clutch is sound fine. has the aftermarket produced a clutch and flywheel for these cars? Can you post a link?

Clutch and flywheel replacement was simple, I did it on the floor in the garage by myself in 8 hours